decoding raw images from Canon Powershot G2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bernard, May 25, 2008.

  1. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Hi there !

    I manage my Powershot G2 using Linux "ghoto2". Only recently have I got
    really interrested in the raw images. I have tried 'dcraw' under Linux,
    which works well, but lacks doc as far as "G2" is concerned. I have
    tested various arguments and parameters with 'dcraw' : white balance,
    brightness, highlight management, colour balance and colour space etc..,
    but I would like to know what the best options and parameters are supposed
    to be for the Canon Powershot G2. What I obtained using various blind
    trials, was sometimes satisfactory, sometimes poor or mediocre, but, in
    most cases of a lesser quality than what the camera gives you with direct
    jpg images. The Canon proprietary software (which works only under MSWIN),
    seems to be even more obscure ; it allows only a few options with hardly
    any explaination... True : the jpg images are good, but if you wish to
    modify something you have to save at loss...

    Thanks in advance for any useful input.

    Bernard, May 25, 2008

  2. Bernard

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:54:17 +0200, Bernard wrote:

    > Hi there !
    >
    > I manage my Powershot G2 using Linux "ghoto2". Only recently have I got
    > really interrested in the raw images. I have tried 'dcraw' under Linux,
    > which works well, but lacks doc as far as "G2" is concerned. I have
    > tested various arguments and parameters with 'dcraw' : white balance,
    > brightness, highlight management, colour balance and colour space etc..,
    > but I would like to know what the best options and parameters are
    > supposed to be for the Canon Powershot G2. What I obtained using various
    > blind trials, was sometimes satisfactory, sometimes poor or mediocre,
    > but, in most cases of a lesser quality than what the camera gives you
    > with direct jpg images. The Canon proprietary software (which works only
    > under MSWIN), seems to be even more obscure ; it allows only a few
    > options with hardly any explaination... True : the jpg images are good,
    > but if you wish to modify something you have to save at loss...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any useful input.

    Try ufraw - it's a GUI frontend for dcraw which will allow basic
    manipulation of the image before you save it out.

    ray, May 25, 2008

  3. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    Le Sun, 25 May 2008 14:32:47 +0000, ray a écrit :

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:54:17 +0200, Bernard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there !
    >>
    >> I manage my Powershot G2 using Linux "ghoto2". Only recently have I got
    >> really interrested in the raw images. I have tried 'dcraw' under Linux,
    >> which works well, but lacks doc as far as "G2" is concerned. I have
    >> tested various arguments and parameters with 'dcraw' : white balance,
    >> brightness, highlight management, colour balance and colour space etc..,
    >> but I would like to know what the best options and parameters are
    >> supposed to be for the Canon Powershot G2. What I obtained using various
    >> blind trials, was sometimes satisfactory, sometimes poor or mediocre,
    >> but, in most cases of a lesser quality than what the camera gives you
    >> with direct jpg images. The Canon proprietary software (which works only
    >> under MSWIN), seems to be even more obscure ; it allows only a few
    >> options with hardly any explaination... True : the jpg images are good,
    >> but if you wish to modify something you have to save at loss...
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any useful input.

    > Try ufraw - it's a GUI frontend for dcraw which will allow basic
    > manipulation of the image before you save it out.

    Thanks a lot for this advise. I have just installed and tried ufraw, and I
    find this wonderful. The basic manipulation of the image that is
    available, is a lot more than what my version of dcraw allows, at least
    what is proposed in the dcraw man page. In any case, it is a hundred times
    better than what the proprietary Canon software (MSWIN software) offers.

    Bernard, May 25, 2008
  4. Bernard

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:41:15 +0200, Bernard wrote:

    > Le Sun, 25 May 2008 14:32:47 +0000, ray a écrit :
    >
    >> On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:54:17 +0200, Bernard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there !
    >>>
    >>> I manage my Powershot G2 using Linux "ghoto2". Only recently have I
    >>> got really interrested in the raw images. I have tried 'dcraw' under
    >>> Linux, which works well, but lacks doc as far as "G2" is concerned. I
    >>> have tested various arguments and parameters with 'dcraw' : white
    >>> balance, brightness, highlight management, colour balance and colour
    >>> space etc.., but I would like to know what the best options and
    >>> parameters are supposed to be for the Canon Powershot G2. What I
    >>> obtained using various blind trials, was sometimes satisfactory,
    >>> sometimes poor or mediocre, but, in most cases of a lesser quality
    >>> than what the camera gives you with direct jpg images. The Canon
    >>> proprietary software (which works only under MSWIN), seems to be even
    >>> more obscure ; it allows only a few options with hardly any
    >>> explaination... True : the jpg images are good, but if you wish to
    >>> modify something you have to save at loss...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any useful input.

    >> Try ufraw - it's a GUI frontend for dcraw which will allow basic
    >> manipulation of the image before you save it out.

    > Thanks a lot for this advise. I have just installed and tried ufraw, and
    > I find this wonderful. The basic manipulation of the image that is
    > available, is a lot more than what my version of dcraw allows, at least
    > what is proposed in the dcraw man page. In any case, it is a hundred
    > times better than what the proprietary Canon software (MSWIN software)
    > offers.

    You're very welcome sir. BTW - I currently am in a canon boycott due to
    their abysmal lack of support for Linux and FWIW, I LOVE my Kodak P850.

    ray, May 26, 2008
  5. Bernard wrote:

    > Le Sun, 25 May 2008 14:32:47 +0000, ray a écrit :

    >> Try ufraw - it's a GUI frontend for dcraw which will allow basic
    >> manipulation of the image before you save it out.

    > Thanks a lot for this advise. I have just installed and tried ufraw, and I
    > find this wonderful. The basic manipulation of the image that is
    > available, is a lot more than what my version of dcraw allows, at least
    > what is proposed in the dcraw man page. In any case, it is a hundred times
    > better than what the proprietary Canon software (MSWIN software) offers.

    The first time I sent a raw image to The GIMP, The GIMP opened ufraw. I
    was rather surprised; I'd never heard of ufraw. :) Clicking OKAY after
    dealing with the image with ufraw sent it to The GIMP. Apparently ufraw
    had been installed as a dependency for The GIMP when I installed Mandriva
    and told it to set up a graphical workstation, among other things.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 26, 2008