    Mike R Guest

    Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and also
    a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    Mike R, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Mike R wrote:

    > Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and also
    > a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    Anything with a bt848 or 878 chip on it, and the program is HVCplus

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Mike R

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:28:18 +1300, "Mike R"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and also
    >a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe (*Not* Expert)

    HVCPlus

    For scientific purposes only, of course...

    Gurble, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Mike R

    Mike R Guest

    Where is a good site to get Hvcplus from

    Mike R, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Mike R

    cobbler© Guest

    Does it work ??
    how many channels can you see ??
    is it worth while me get one ??

    >Mike R wrote:
    >
    >> Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and also
    >> a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    >Anything with a bt848 or 878 chip on it, and the program is HVCplus

    Cobbler ©

    : Take out the " Spam " to reply

    cobbler©, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Mike R

    KS Guest

    Mike R wrote:
    > Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal
    > and also a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    Call me Akl 525 5555, I'll help yah.

    KS, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Mike R

    Jay Guest

    Mike R wrote:

    > Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and
    > also a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    Sky.

    Jay, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Mike R

    John Doe Guest

    Gurble <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:28:18 +1300, "Mike R"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and also
    > >a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike
    > >

    > Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe (*Not* Expert)
    >
    > HVCPlus

    This card does not provide satellite signal decoding (only UHF), does it ?
    Could you recommend a satellite reception card that would work nicely with HVCPlus ?

    John Doe, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Mike R

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Mike R wrote:
    >
    > > Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and
    > > also a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    > Sky.

    Huh? I was sure I'd unsubscribed from alt.non.sequitur.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Mike R

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:28:18 +1300, "Mike R"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and

    also
    > > >a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike
    > > >

    > > Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe (*Not* Expert)
    > >
    > > HVCPlus

    > This card does not provide satellite signal decoding (only UHF), does it ?
    > Could you recommend a satellite reception card that would work nicely with

    HVCPlus ?

    None its an entirely different encryption which is unhacked NDS

    Craig Sutton, Oct 10, 2003
  11. Mike R

    Jay Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Mike R wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi can anyone tell me where to get a program to decode skys signal and
    >> > also a tv tuner card to buy .Thanks Mike

    >> Sky.

    > Huh? I was sure I'd unsubscribed from alt.non.sequitur.

    Sky can provide a program to decode skys signal.

    Jay, Oct 10, 2003
  12. Mike R

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    and

    > >> Sky.

    > > Huh? I was sure I'd unsubscribed from alt.non.sequitur.

    > Sky can provide a program to decode skys signal.

    To run on a PC?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2003
  13. Mike R

    Kelpie Guest

    > Does it work ??
    > how many channels can you see ??
    > is it worth while me get one ??

    It works but its hardly worth it. I got a TV card a while back and I
    didnt even think about decoding sky or anything like that but when I
    heard it on the newsgroups I thought I would give it a try.

    You need a good antenna, if you have bunny ears or something you might
    as well give up straight away. After that you need to be running Windows
    98 or ME because MS changed the way these kind of video drivers worked
    in XP and 2000. I wont go into detail on that one cause its just a pain
    to explain but lets just say that I cant do it anymore when I could in
    Windows 98. Im sure there are exceptions to this and someone else here
    can explain it better.

    Once you get HCVPlus which is the lacklustre best out of a very sad
    bunch and fiddle around with it enough to get it working you do get to
    see a few sky channels, I think I got Sky One, Sports and a Movie
    channel or two. But the quality isnt anything to write home about.

    Once the thrill of getting something for nothing wears off (in about 5
    minutes) you will realize its easier and just plain more fun to pay for
    Sky digital. So ended my "educational" experience.

    So in conclusion, if you already have the equipment and a bit of spare
    time its an interesting little diversion for the afternoon but I wouldnt
    go out and buy a TV card for this sole purpose.

    Kelpie, Oct 10, 2003
  14. Mike R

    Jay Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > and

    >> > Huh? I was sure I'd unsubscribed from alt.non.sequitur.

    >> Sky can provide a program to decode skys signal.

    > To run on a PC?

    Yes, you just plug the video out from the stu into your pc's video
    input socket.

    Jay, Oct 10, 2003
  15. Mike R

    cobbler© Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:17:23 +1300, Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    Hi Kelpie

    Thanks for that, I don't that I will go out of my way to do it.
    Sounds no worth it :(

    cobbler©, Oct 10, 2003
  16. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:17:23 +1300, Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >It works but its hardly worth it. I got a TV card a while back and I
    >didnt even think about decoding sky or anything like that but when I
    >heard it on the newsgroups I thought I would give it a try.
    >
    >You need a good antenna, if you have bunny ears or something you might
    >as well give up straight away. After that you need to be running Windows
    >98 or ME because MS changed the way these kind of video drivers worked
    >in XP and 2000. I wont go into detail on that one cause its just a pain
    >to explain but lets just say that I cant do it anymore when I could in
    >Windows 98. Im sure there are exceptions to this and someone else here
    >can explain it better.

    No, as far as I'm aware, the fact that in most places videocrypt was
    replaced by digital encoding in most places by the time Win2K and XP
    came along, nobody's bothered two write a newer version of the
    software.

    However, with old second-hand P400 boxes being as cheap as dirt these
    days I suspect that anyone who wanted to use this software would
    simply dedicated an old PC to the task -- especially if they were
    going to watch the output on their TV set through the video-card's
    TV-Out connector.

    >Once you get HCVPlus which is the lacklustre best out of a very sad
    >bunch and fiddle around with it enough to get it working you do get to
    >see a few sky channels, I think I got Sky One, Sports and a Movie
    >channel or two. But the quality isnt anything to write home about.

    It's not much different to the Sky UHF decoders if you get it set up
    correctly. Once configured, and providing you're using a P400 or
    better, the only time the decoding actually fails is on very-low
    contrast scenes or where there's pretty much a random image (such as a
    star-field, water, or a sea of deads in a grandstand).

    >Once the thrill of getting something for nothing wears off (in about 5
    >minutes) you will realize its easier and just plain more fun to pay for
    >Sky digital. So ended my "educational" experience.

    Errr... actually, I found that the "wears off in 5 mnutes" problem
    applies to the whole Sky package.

    I originally set up a PC to do the decoding in order to write an
    article on the subject but returned that PC to its previous duties
    shortly afterwards.

    I also canceled my Sky Digital subscription when the Movie channel
    started rescreening movies that had shown on FTA the week before!

    Sometimes (just sometimes) I still get out the TV Guide to look at
    what I'm missing now I don't have Sky -- and I just smile contentedly,
    remembering that not only am I saving over $70 a month, but I get more
    free time and actually have a life.

    I also get to watch much better/newer movies than those folks paying
    for Sky -- because I just rent a DVD each weekend - and still end up
    being about $50 a month better off than if I was a Sky Digital
    customer.

    Of course if I was the kind of person who just loved watching
    programmes that are being shown for about the hundredth time in two
    years (Discovery), endless repeats of the same tired old moveis (Movie
    Channel), aged crap and piles of ads that I can get for free on FTA
    (Sky 1), etc, etc -- then I guess I would be fool enough to part with
    $70+ a month.

    >So in conclusion, if you already have the equipment and a bit of spare
    >time its an interesting little diversion for the afternoon but I wouldnt
    >go out and buy a TV card for this sole purpose.

    Same goes for all the Sky content I'm afraid.

    Until we get some *real* competition in the marketplace, Sky will not
    improve its offerings or lower its prices I'm afraid.

    Bruce Simpson, Oct 10, 2003
  17. Mike R

    Kelpie Guest

    > Errr... actually, I found that the "wears off in 5 mnutes" problem
    > applies to the whole Sky package.

    Good point. I couldnt afford sky if I wanted to, which I dont. Although
    the sports fanatics seem to enjoy it, not that they have much choice in
    the matter.

    On a related note, I am using my TV card more than ever now that the
    actual TV is down the other end of the house and I found some decent
    software (DScaler). Its great to watch some of the decent programs in a
    little window in the corner and increase the size or full screen it if
    anything interesting happens.

    Is all the software bundled with TV cards as atrocious as the stuff I
    got with mine?

    --
    Kelpie

    Kelpie, Oct 10, 2003
  18. Mike R

    thefly Guest

    "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:17:23 +1300, Kelpie <dontbother@127.0.0.1>
    > Errr... actually, I found that the "wears off in 5 mnutes" problem
    > applies to the whole Sky package.
    >
    > I originally set up a PC to do the decoding in order to write an
    > article on the subject but returned that PC to its previous duties
    > shortly afterwards.
    >
    > I also canceled my Sky Digital subscription when the Movie channel
    > started rescreening movies that had shown on FTA the week before!
    >
    > Sometimes (just sometimes) I still get out the TV Guide to look at
    > what I'm missing now I don't have Sky -- and I just smile contentedly,
    > remembering that not only am I saving over $70 a month, but I get more
    > free time and actually have a life.
    >
    > I also get to watch much better/newer movies than those folks paying
    > for Sky -- because I just rent a DVD each weekend - and still end up
    > being about $50 a month better off than if I was a Sky Digital
    > customer.
    >
    > Of course if I was the kind of person who just loved watching
    > programmes that are being shown for about the hundredth time in two
    > years (Discovery), endless repeats of the same tired old moveis (Movie
    > Channel), aged crap and piles of ads that I can get for free on FTA
    > (Sky 1), etc, etc -- then I guess I would be fool enough to part with
    > $70+ a month.
    >

    > >So in conclusion, if you already have the equipment and a bit of spare
    > >time its an interesting little diversion for the afternoon but I wouldnt
    > >go out and buy a TV card for this sole purpose.

    > Same goes for all the Sky content I'm afraid.
    >
    > Until we get some *real* competition in the marketplace, Sky will not
    > improve its offerings or lower its prices I'm afraid.
    >
    > --
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

    I agree totally with what you say, I have never had sky installed but I have
    had the use of a friends sky uhf decoder and housesat for someone with sky
    digital, in both cases I could see that it was totally not worth buying it
    myself, I can't believe the amount of ads there are 2 for something you are
    already paying for and the ad supply seems to have increased hugely from
    when sky was first introduced, wasn't one of the reasons to get sky in the
    beginning that they had no adverts. I think if it was not for the rugby and
    cricket that they have sky would not find enough subscribers to survive, as
    it is basically people are paying there money for the rugby and cricket they
    watch. And sport is the only thing that sky has that tempts me but even then
    there is only a few games that I would like to watch and can't justify
    getting sky for 1 game a week at most and besides if I really want to watch
    a game only sky has I just bludge off someone else. On that note when it
    comes to warriors games I prefer to watch prime as they retain the aussie
    commentators, sky uses some NZ commentators who unfortunately do a terrible
    job, they talk utter crap.
    When I had a lend of sky I found that there was just nothing to watch %98 of
    the time which makes it real easy to go without. Of course if you are a real
    rugby or cricket nut like many NZers are then sky have you by the balls.
    As you said the plain simple fact of the matter is that with no competition
    you are going to get crap service, ala-the railways,
    and with a small country like ours we could be waiting a while for
    competition, especially now that sky already have the market cornered.

    thefly, Oct 10, 2003
  19. Mike R

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "thefly" <trap@trap> wrote in message news:...

> [...]

    > a game only sky has I just bludge off someone else. On that note when it
    > comes to warriors games I prefer to watch prime as they retain the aussie
    > commentators, sky uses some NZ commentators who unfortunately do a

    terrible
    > job, they talk utter crap.
    > When I had a lend of sky I found that there was just nothing to watch %98

    of
    > the time which makes it real easy to go without. Of course if you are a

    real
    > rugby or cricket nut like many NZers are then sky have you by the balls.
    > As you said the plain simple fact of the matter is that with no

    competition
    > you are going to get crap service, ala-the railways,
    > and with a small country like ours we could be waiting a while for
    > competition, especially now that sky already have the market cornered.

    I had sky for a few years after they first started. (UHF only in those days)
    After a while I found the only thing I really watched was Formula 1 racing.
    The week they decided to drop coverage of that I rang them, asked if they
    were going to get it back, when they said "No" I cancelled my subscrition.

    Now I get it FTA on TV1.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2003
  20. Mike R

    Kevin Guest

    Try the HCVPlus software and a PixelView PlayTV Pro with the generic BT878
    drivers off the NET.

    Quailty is not bad with a UHF aerial.

    For more information use www.google.com and their Newsgroups.

    Kevin, Oct 11, 2003