DECnet over GRE tunnel with FiberOptic leased-line

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by sali, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. sali

    sali Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a problem in tunneling DECNET traffic over GRE using FiberOptic
    leased-line as the media in the middle of the network.

    DECNET terminal - router - layer3 switch - FiberOptic - layer3 switch -
    router - DECNET server

    Although the DECNET packet is smaller the link mtu, I guess, I've try
    to enable tunnel PMTUD (tunnel path-mtu-discovery) and configure ip mtu
    1476 in the tunnel interface.

    Then I tried to modify the DF-bit using ip policy route-map in the
    tunnel interface. It still doesn't work.

    Has anyone ever experience this problem?

    Does it have something to do with the GRE Tunnel latency?

    Regards,
    Sali
    sali, Mar 29, 2006

  2. sali

    Merv Guest

    > I have a problem in tunneling DECNET traffic over GRE using FiberOptic
    > leased-line as the media in the middle of the network.

    Is IP working over the GRE tunnel ?

    Does CDP flow over the tunnel ?

    Post a sanitized configs of both routers and the post the output from
    both routers for

    1. sh version

    2. sh decnet

    3. sh decnet interface

    4. sh decnet route

    5. sh decnet nei

    Are Decnet hellos being exchanged over the tunnel ?

    debug decnet adj
    Merv, Mar 29, 2006

  3. sali

    Merv Guest

    Do you have "decnet cost x" configured on tunnel interfaces ?
    Merv, Mar 29, 2006
  4. sali

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On 28 Mar 2006 23:25:10 -0800, sali wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a problem in tunneling DECNET traffic over GRE using FiberOptic
    > leased-line as the media in the middle of the network.
    >
    > DECNET terminal - router - layer3 switch - FiberOptic - layer3 switch -
    > router - DECNET server

    This wouldn't be LAT would it? That won't work (LAT) without
    configuring bridging on the tunnel. In the later IOS releases bridging
    isn't supported (but can be configured) on the GRE tunnel interface.

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
    Neil Cherry, Mar 29, 2006
  5. sali

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 29, 2006
  6. sali

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On 29 Mar 2006 08:11:47 -0800, Merv wrote:
    > If it is LAT, then LAT to TCP protocol translation should be used
    >
    > see Cisco doc
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk8...s_configuration_example09186a00801b777e.shtml

    The only problem with that is it very resource intensive (memory and
    CPU) and it doesn't support LAST and LAVC (sp?). It does work very
    well.

    Neil Cherry, Mar 29, 2006
  7. sali

    Merv Guest

    Well if the OP is trying to run vax cluster traffic over the Internet
    then all bets are off ...
    Merv, Mar 29, 2006