Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Waterspider

    Waterspider Guest

    Hi there,

    I've lurked a bit here but haven't found any clues to answer my question, so
    I've decided to jump in and ask for help.

    I love my Canon G3, but it's time to upgrade; all the little icons are worn
    off the dial.
    So I'm looking at the G6, with 7 megapixels, and I want to be able to do
    more enlarging so that's a plus.
    But then, out pops the S21S with plusses of a much greater zoom and that
    anti-shake thingy.
    However, the S21S has those horrid little AA batteries (lithium ion in the
    G6) and it's 5 mp.
    But then it's got a really interesting looking lens and does 4 fps bursts.

    Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

    I'm sort-of in the sticks of BC Canada here, no camera store, and the
    nearest London Drugs didn't have the G6 in stock for comparison and the
    clerk knew nothing about either camera. Canon's site is okay, but they are a
    tad biased I think. I do want to stick with a Canon because I like all their
    features in general (except that cheesy lens cap).

    Please be gentle with me <g>

    Waterspider

    www.penderharbour.org
    (where I live)

    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Waterspider

    RobG Guest

    "Waterspider" <> wrote

    > I'm sort-of in the sticks of BC Canada here, no camera store,

    Sounds to me like you REALLY NEED to use AAs - if you're in the sticks, it
    can be a mite difficult to get LiIon packs...

    RobG

    RobG, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Waterspider wrote:
    []
    > However, the S21S has those horrid little AA batteries (lithium ion
    > in the G6) and it's 5 mp.

    []
    > Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

    The Panasonic FZ5 offers better image quality than the S2 IS, has a 36 -
    432mm f/2.8-f/3.3 image stabilised Leica lens, and uses a single
    widely-available Li-ion battery. You probably won't find a better 5MP
    camera in the class. 5MP is easily enough for 8 x 10 inch prints. You
    can get the FZ5 in black as well.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Waterspider

    Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:34:58 -0800, "Waterspider"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I've lurked a bit here but haven't found any clues to answer my question, so
    >I've decided to jump in and ask for help.
    >
    >I love my Canon G3, but it's time to upgrade; all the little icons are worn
    >off the dial.
    >So I'm looking at the G6, with 7 megapixels, and I want to be able to do
    >more enlarging so that's a plus.
    >But then, out pops the S21S with plusses of a much greater zoom and that
    >anti-shake thingy.
    >However, the S21S has those horrid little AA batteries (lithium ion in the
    >G6) and it's 5 mp.
    >But then it's got a really interesting looking lens and does 4 fps bursts.
    >
    >Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    >
    >I'm sort-of in the sticks of BC Canada here, no camera store, and the
    >nearest London Drugs didn't have the G6 in stock for comparison and the
    >clerk knew nothing about either camera. Canon's site is okay, but they are a
    >tad biased I think. I do want to stick with a Canon because I like all their
    >features in general (except that cheesy lens cap).
    >
    >Please be gentle with me <g>
    >
    >Waterspider
    >
    >www.penderharbour.org
    >(where I live)

    I personally prefer AA batteries. 2100 maH+ NIMH batteries are
    getting cheap and easy to come by. I keep 3 sets (have never used more
    than 2 sets during any photo excursion). Pick up a good Maha charger
    and you're good to go.

    Bill

    , Dec 28, 2005
  5. Waterspider

    Waterspider Guest

    Re: AA vs LI

    <> wrote ...
    > I personally prefer AA batteries. 2100 maH+ NIMH batteries are
    > getting cheap and easy to come by. I keep 3 sets (have never used more
    > than 2 sets during any photo excursion). Pick up a good Maha charger
    > and you're good to go.
    > Bill

    Thanks Bill, but I'm wondering why you prefer the AAs.
    I have a spare LI but it's just that; a spare and most times I don't even
    bother to bring it with me because my camera is good for several hours of
    shooting/viewing on a its charged LI, which is charged right in the camera.

    Waterspider

    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005
  6. Waterspider

    Waterspider Guest

    "David J Taylor" > wrote ...
    > The Panasonic FZ5 offers better image quality than the S2 IS, has a 36 -
    > 432mm f/2.8-f/3.3 image stabilised Leica lens, and uses a single
    > widely-available Li-ion battery. You probably won't find a better 5MP
    > camera in the class. 5MP is easily enough for 8 x 10 inch prints. You
    > can get the FZ5 in black as well.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/

    Thanks for the reply, David.
    This is a sweet looking camera (yeah, the black looks nicer) but it seems to
    not have the swivelling preview screen that I like so much for odd-angle
    shots. Don't know if I'd want to give that up.
    How would it stack up next to the G6?

    Waterspider

    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005
  7. Waterspider

    Waterspider Guest

    "RobG" <> wrote in message
    > "Waterspider" <> wrote
    >>
    >> I'm sort-of in the sticks of BC Canada here, no camera store,

    > Sounds to me like you REALLY NEED to use AAs - if you're in the sticks, it
    > can be a mite difficult to get LiIon packs...

    I have a spare, which I haven't really used and the camera is almost four
    years old.

    Waterspider

    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005
  8. Waterspider wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" > wrote ...
    >> The Panasonic FZ5 offers better image quality than the S2 IS, has a
    >> 36 - 432mm f/2.8-f/3.3 image stabilised Leica lens, and uses a single
    >> widely-available Li-ion battery. You probably won't find a better
    >> 5MP camera in the class. 5MP is easily enough for 8 x 10 inch
    >> prints. You can get the FZ5 in black as well.
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply, David.
    > This is a sweet looking camera (yeah, the black looks nicer) but it
    > seems to not have the swivelling preview screen that I like so much
    > for odd-angle shots. Don't know if I'd want to give that up.
    > How would it stack up next to the G6?
    >
    > Waterspider

    Correct, no swivel finder which is a bit of a nuisance, and the Canon S2
    IS does better movies, if that's important to you The 5MP quality would
    be in the same class as the 7MP G6, albeit with a little less resolution,
    but a much greater zoom range (which is usable even at full zoom because
    of the image stabilisation). It may come down to which camera feels
    better in the hand.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2005
  9. Waterspider

    Waterspider Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:NzCsf.16011$...
    > Waterspider wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor" > wrote ...
    >>> The Panasonic FZ5 offers better image quality than the S2 IS, has a
    >>> 36 - 432mm f/2.8-f/3.3 image stabilised Leica lens, and uses a single
    >>> widely-available Li-ion battery. You probably won't find a better
    >>> 5MP camera in the class. 5MP is easily enough for 8 x 10 inch
    >>> prints. You can get the FZ5 in black as well.
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the reply, David.
    >> This is a sweet looking camera (yeah, the black looks nicer) but it
    >> seems to not have the swivelling preview screen that I like so much
    >> for odd-angle shots. Don't know if I'd want to give that up.
    >> How would it stack up next to the G6?

    > Correct, no swivel finder which is a bit of a nuisance, and the Canon S2
    > IS does better movies, if that's important to you

    Not in the least.

    The 5MP quality would
    > be in the same class as the 7MP G6, albeit with a little less resolution,
    > but a much greater zoom range (which is usable even at full zoom because
    > of the image stabilisation). It may come down to which camera feels
    > better in the hand.

    This lens sounds like it may be the deciding factor. Although the S21S has
    antishake, the G6 doesn't or at least I don't think it does.

    Thanks again, David.

    Waterspider, Dec 28, 2005