Deciding between Canon SD800 IS, A710 IS, and Fuji F30

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RSS, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. RSS

    RSS Guest

    Hi-

    I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:

    Canon SD800 IS
    Canon A710 IS
    Fuji Finepix F30
    Sony DSC-W7
    Panasonic DMC-LX2

    I think I've knocked the latter two off the list, but I could be
    persuaded to reconsider that.

    Here are my concerns:

    The Fuji keeps getting the best reviews in terms of its noise
    performance in low light. This seems like it could be important.
    However, it lacks true image stabilization technology that the others
    all have. I am a typical leisure photographer who does a bit of
    everything, and occasionally I find it important to have some good
    manual control over the camera. I do not often (or at this point,
    ever) print my photos, though I might consider it down the road. I
    just want a camera that performs well, gives high quality images under
    the majority of scenarios, and has lots of user control.

    Can anyone help steer me on the choices above? For my needs I don't
    see any reason to spend more than $400. I don't need the smallest
    camera, but I also don't want any of the bulky models. And I am not
    sure if I really care if I have 6 MP or 10 MP.

    For your information, my current camera is a Canon A70 and I liked it,
    but it's outdated now, and I also feel like the image quality and
    performance have deteriorated over time.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    RSS, Nov 13, 2006

  2. RSS

    Maurice Hood Guest

    I'm in the same position but for my money the canon a710is
    has to be the best buy.

    Maurice Hood, Nov 13, 2006

  3. RSS wrote:
    > Hi-
    >
    > I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    > I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
    >
    > Canon SD800 IS
    > Canon A710 IS
    > Fuji Finepix F30
    > Sony DSC-W7
    > Panasonic DMC-LX2

    Com'on ! Enough ! Just go to the camera shop, and hold the cameras in
    your hands. You will quickly see which ones you like and which you
    don't. The next step would be to snap the pictures on your SD card, and
    look at them at home. You will see which pictures you like and which
    you don't. I personally snapped and looked at pictures from Canon A700
    and Panasonic LX1 (besides other cameras), and chose LX1.

    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Nov 13, 2006
  4. RSS

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "RSS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    >
    > I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    > I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
    >
    > Canon SD800 IS
    > Canon A710 IS
    > Fuji Finepix F30
    > Sony DSC-W7
    > Panasonic DMC-LX2
    >
    > I think I've knocked the latter two off the list, but I could be
    > persuaded to reconsider that.

    snip

    The two on the list that seem to be the best overall (for you) are the Canon
    SD800IS and A710IS. Between those two, the SD has a wider angle lens, but
    not as much tele (the A710IS goes a bit longer). The A710IS uses AA
    batteries, and that may be something to consider. The other one is smaller
    and lighter, if that's what you're looking for. Of those two, I'd get the
    A710IS since I think it presents a better value.

    Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up with the
    noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very nice
    Leica lens. But that's me...

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 13, 2006
  5. "RSS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    >
    > I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    > I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
    >
    > Canon SD800 IS
    > Canon A710 IS
    > Fuji Finepix F30
    > Sony DSC-W7
    > Panasonic DMC-LX2

    FYI, I just bought the A-710 IS and am extremely happy with it. I just went
    on a 2 week vacation and took a bit over 600 pictures. Not a bad picture in
    the lot.

    The IS did a great job in low light/slow shutter/no flash environments.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > "RSS" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi-
    >>
    >>I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    >>I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
    >>
    >>Canon SD800 IS
    >>Canon A710 IS
    >>Fuji Finepix F30
    >>Sony DSC-W7
    >>Panasonic DMC-LX2

    > FYI, I just bought the A-710 IS and am extremely happy with it. I just went
    > on a 2 week vacation and took a bit over 600 pictures. Not a bad picture in
    > the lot.
    >
    > The IS did a great job in low light/slow shutter/no flash environments.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Hi,

    I recently got a Canon SD800 IS, and am quite pleased with it. The focus
    and exposure are great, and I can easily make sharp 8 x 10" enlargements
    even after some cropping. The 28 mm. equivalent is very handy when I
    can't move back further. Having such a good camera in such a small size
    and weight means that I can carry it with me every time that I leave home.

    Good luck.

    Morton Linder

    Morton Linder, Nov 14, 2006
  7. RSS

    Sam Guest

    :
    : Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up
    with the
    : noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very
    nice
    : Leica lens. But that's me...

    What about Canon's common problem when it comes to purple fringing?
    BTW, just curious on how none of the Sony's were mentioned? The manager
    at Best Buy says the pictures Sony takes in the P&S market is better
    than even Canon and is right up at the top.

    Sam, Nov 14, 2006
  8. RSS

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message
    >
    > : The two on the list that seem to be the best overall (for you) are the
    > Canon
    > : SD800IS and A710IS. Between those two, the SD has a wider angle lens,
    > but
    > : not as much tele (the A710IS goes a bit longer). The A710IS uses AA
    > : batteries, and that may be something to consider. The other one is
    > smaller
    > : and lighter, if that's what you're looking for. Of those two, I'd get
    > the
    > : A710IS since I think it presents a better value.
    > :
    > : Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up
    > with the
    > : noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very
    > nice
    > : Leica lens. But that's me...
    >
    > What about Canon's common problem when it comes to purple fringing?

    What problem is that? I'm not aware of any excessive fringing issues on
    Canon cams.

    > BTW, just curious on how none of the Sony's were mentioned? The manager
    > at Best Buy says the pictures Sony takes in the P&S market is better
    > than even Canon and is right up at the top.

    Read the reviews, look at the sample pix, decide for yourself. Do NOT trust
    any salesman to know what cam is best, they have NO CLUE!

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 14, 2006
  9. RSS

    RSS Guest

    As someone astutely suggested, I am going to hit Circuit City some time
    this week and try to put my hands on a few different cameras. I think
    I will be happy with any of the cameras that I mentioned in the
    original post. The question for me, which only hands-on will answer,
    is whether I like an ultra-compact or not. Having used the A70, I
    might gravitate toward the A710.

    But given the amazing price with the $50 rebate on the Fuji, I am
    almost inclined to buy that camera with the knowledge that I can
    probably sell it for even money if I changed my mind, which I probably
    won't. At $203 after rebate, it's nearly 50% less than the SD800. For
    that money, I can't see any reason on earth to buy the SD800. So it
    will be down to the A710 for about $300 online, or the Fuji. I've
    ruled out the Panasonic and the Sony - though I really like the
    features and the style of these cameras, there seem to be consistent
    complaints about noise and picture quality from multiple reviewers.

    Heh, the other reason for getting the Fuji would be to try to do
    something about the mammoth market-share that Canon controls :)

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    RSS, Nov 14, 2006
  10. RSS

    RSS Guest

    To summarize my search and decision...

    I went to Circuit City and Best Buy last night and I saw most of the
    cameras that I was interested in. of the ones that i originally
    mentioned, I saw:

    canon A710 IS
    canon SD800 IS
    fuji FX20 (but no one had the FX30)

    nobody had the panasonic LX2.

    based on my visit, i ruled out the A710 IS because i decided that i
    have had 4 years with the relatively bulky a70 and i wanted to go for
    the sexy ultracompact design. plus, i really was bothered by the lower
    LCD resolution of the A710IS.

    i ruled out the SD800 IS based on several factors. mostly, i didn't
    like the way it felt in my hand. hard to put a quantitative value on
    that, but nonetheless, didn't like the feel. i also thought the icons
    and menus in the canons are a bit mickey mouse and cheesy. also, i
    felt that it was much easier to accidentally activate functions on the
    back of the camera while just holding it (the ISO setting kept coming
    up). little things, but they mattered in hand, and i wouldn't know if
    i didn't hold it.

    i liked the feel of the SD630 better than the SD800 but it too had the
    "easy to activate things by accident" issue.

    the fuji was frustrating. i really *wanted* to like it, and all in all
    it isn't bad. but given that it is not a bigger camera like the A710,
    i felt that it wasn't small enough compared to the other ultracompact
    models. there is a lot of body around that 2.5" screen, and it seemed
    unnecessary. combine that with the lack of optical IS, and the low
    zoom, and the fewer megapixels, and it added up to a not-so-hot.

    what ended up happening was that i saw a few other cameras that i fell
    in love with. these were the panasonic lumix fx01, fx07, and fx50.
    the feel in the hand, especially the fx01 and fx07, was fantastic for
    me. the menus are logical, and the display was very high quality. i
    like the idea of the larger LCD of the fx50, but decided that it is not
    worth 50 dollars more to have a bigger camera (with a smaller region to
    hold in the hand, as well, i should note).

    the fx07 is only 3.6x zoom at max resolution, but you can apparently
    get 5.5x zoom if you operate at 3M pixel, which is nice.

    a final note, which i hate to acknowledge because i wish i were immune
    to this stuff, is that the FX07/FX50 were probably the most attractive
    cameras that i saw, bar none. so much for only considering the hard
    data.

    i ended up ordering fx07 (black) online for $250 shipped.

    i did a lot of reading of reviews, and then of forums, and there are
    presently not full-blown reviews on the most detail oriented sites for
    the fx07, but there was for the fx01, and i felt that although this
    camera didn't do quite as well as the SD800 or the fuji F30, that the
    FX07 is likely to be a little better than the FX01, and i suspect that
    i may not be using the camera in the situations where the noise problem
    of panasonic will be worst. they also claim that they have some
    additional noise handling capability in the FX07/FX50, but i will have
    to see. worst case, i'll sell the camera and get a different one - but
    i expect that won't be the case.

    thanks to all for the suggestions.

    RSS, Nov 15, 2006
  11. RSS

    :: > What about Canon's common problem when it comes to purple fringing?
    :
    : What problem is that? I'm not aware of any excessive fringing issues
    on
    : Canon cams.

    Really? I see the purple fringing anytime there image has a mix of low
    and normal light. I find Canon to be the worst of the bunch. Even
    looking at sample pics on websites, you can see for yourself:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD800IS/FULLRES/YIMG_0403.HTM

    Sam, Nov 16, 2006
  12. RSS

    Guest

    F30, now F30FD = GOD Easily the winner by miles, PHOTO quality is all
    that matters the rest is fodder

    Very close 2nd [and to be replace by years end] Canon A710IS

    Cheers

    K202

    RSS wrote:
    > Hi-
    >
    > I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
    > I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
    >
    > Canon SD800 IS
    > Canon A710 IS
    > Fuji Finepix F30
    > Sony DSC-W7
    > Panasonic DMC-LX2
    >
    > I think I've knocked the latter two off the list, but I could be
    > persuaded to reconsider that.
    >
    > Here are my concerns:
    >
    > The Fuji keeps getting the best reviews in terms of its noise
    > performance in low light. This seems like it could be important.
    > However, it lacks true image stabilization technology that the others
    > all have. I am a typical leisure photographer who does a bit of
    > everything, and occasionally I find it important to have some good
    > manual control over the camera. I do not often (or at this point,
    > ever) print my photos, though I might consider it down the road. I
    > just want a camera that performs well, gives high quality images under
    > the majority of scenarios, and has lots of user control.
    >
    > Can anyone help steer me on the choices above? For my needs I don't
    > see any reason to spend more than $400. I don't need the smallest
    > camera, but I also don't want any of the bulky models. And I am not
    > sure if I really care if I have 6 MP or 10 MP.
    >
    > For your information, my current camera is a Canon A70 and I liked it,
    > but it's outdated now, and I also feel like the image quality and
    > performance have deteriorated over time.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions.

    , Nov 18, 2006