Decent quality free photo program

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 13, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 13, 2012

  2. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Most here probably buy Photo Shop, Aperture, etc., but if you need a
    > good free one, this would fit the bill. It's become pretty powerful
    > recently.
    >
    > http://www.photopos.com/Photo-Pos-Pro-Image-Editor.asp

    I'd never heard of "Photo Pos Pro" until you mentioned it, so it's not one
    I aspire to, or appears to have a widespread reutation....

    David J Taylor, Feb 13, 2012

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:59:10 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : Most here probably buy Photo Shop, Aperture, etc., but if you need a
    : good free one, this would fit the bill. It's become pretty powerful
    : recently.
    :
    : http://www.photopos.com/Photo-Pos-Pro-Image-Editor.asp

    The page in your link seems to suggest that it's based on Gimp. Historically,
    the word on Gimp has been that it's fairly powerful, but a bear to learn, with
    a proliferation of Unix-like windows for even simple tasks.

    Frankly, I'm fairly happy with Digital Photo Professional. It lacks the bells
    and whistles of Photoshop, but a lot of evidence suggests that Photoshop is
    too easy to overuse, producing garish results that I often don't like.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 13, 2012
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:15:52 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:59:10 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >: Most here probably buy Photo Shop, Aperture, etc., but if you need a
    >: good free one, this would fit the bill. It's become pretty powerful
    >: recently.
    >:
    >: http://www.photopos.com/Photo-Pos-Pro-Image-Editor.asp
    >
    >The page in your link seems to suggest that it's based on Gimp. Historically,
    >the word on Gimp has been that it's fairly powerful, but a bear to learn, with
    >a proliferation of Unix-like windows for even simple tasks.
    >
    >Frankly, I'm fairly happy with Digital Photo Professional. It lacks the bells
    >and whistles of Photoshop, but a lot of evidence suggests that Photoshop is
    >too easy to overuse, producing garish results that I often don't like.

    You can do garish with any post-processing program, but it's really
    plug-ins like Topaz and HDR that people tend to overuse.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 13, 2012