    And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 28, 2004

  2. John B

    EMB Guest

    John B wrote:

    > My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster cpu than my
    > 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or something like that. 256MB
    > ram. Talk about slow though.
    >
    > Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?
    >
    > And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

    Anything based around the Pentium-M CPU and Centrino chipset should have
    plenty of grunt - as always the higher the clock speed the emptier the
    wallet. My wife's IBM Thinkpad is great (fast, reliable and very good
    battery life) - a quick pricespy should find you a Thinkpad R51 with
    most of the extras within your budget.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004

  3. John B

    Bar Guest

    John B wrote:

    > My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster cpu than my
    > 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or something like that. 256MB
    > ram. Talk about slow though.
    >
    > Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?

    Because it is. A 2.8GHz Celeron is about as fast as a 1.5GHz Athlon. So a 1.6GHz
    Celeron isn't going to compare much better.
    And her laptop probably has SDR ram. Intel CPUs hate SDR ram and run slowly in
    protest.

    Laptops often have slow hard drives. The hard drive is where most of the boot up
    and program launch speed come from.

    > And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to $3,000.

    anything without a Celeron.

    Bar, Jul 28, 2004
  4. John B

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >
    >> My wife has a laptop, Toshiba I think. Anyway it has a much faster
    >> cpu than my 900Tbird. I think hers is a 1.6 or 1.8 celeron or
    >> something like that. 256MB ram. Talk about slow though.
    >>
    >> Why is my pc so much faster than her laptop?
    >>
    >> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to
    >> $3,000.

    > Anything based around the Pentium-M CPU

    Excellent advice. That's Pentium M, not Pentium 4-M. (Just thought I'd point
    that out to save confusion).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2004
  5. John B

    Dodger Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to

    $3,000.

    A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
    not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when it comes
    to support/reliability.

    Dodger, Jul 29, 2004
  6. John B

    John Guest

    "Dodger" <> wrote in message

    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    > > And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up to

    > $3,000.
    > >

    > A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
    > not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when it

    comes
    > to support/reliability.
    >
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099

    I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows that it
    has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

    John, Jul 29, 2004
  7. John B

    Nik Coughin Guest

    John wrote:
    > "Dodger" <> wrote in
    > message news:IP_Nc.948$...
    >>
    >> "John B" <> wrote in message
    >>> And can anyone recommend a decent laptop with plenty of grunt? Up
    >>> to $3,000.
    >>>

    >> A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
    >> not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when
    >> it comes to support/reliability.
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099
    >>

    > I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows
    > that it has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

    I have an Asus laptop that I bought about six months ago. Very happy with
    it.

    Nik Coughin, Jul 29, 2004
  8. John B

    Darren Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    > > "Dodger" <> wrote in
    > > message news:IP_Nc.948$...
    > >>
    > >> "John B" <> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >> A mate pointed this one out to me last night,
    > >> not a bad system, but I dont know how the Asus laptops rank when
    > >> it comes to support/reliability.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=232099
    > >>

    > > I thought ASUS had a two year warranty, although ascent only shows
    > > that it has one. I think ASUS are a relatively good brand.

    > I have an Asus laptop that I bought about six months ago. Very happy with
    > it.

    Got my ASUS about 8 months ago from Dick Smith, the speakers or sound card
    is stuffed, I have no idea why, I hardly play music or play movies, and when
    I do I dont have it up loud.
    Some times when a program starts up I get a loud high pitched beep (maybe
    that did it?), I dont know why it does it but I have installed windows twice
    since I have had it but the beep is still there.

    I have a 3year warranty so I will take it in to get fixed when I get around
    to it.

    Darren

    Darren, Jul 29, 2004
  9. John B

    Tim Guest

    Asus:

    I've sold several and none have required any service or had any faults.
    They are made as well as any other.
    Don't forget that Asus makes motherboards for companies like HP and Intel as
    well (over 30 million a year).

    I would not hesitate, but make sure you get the full manufacturers
    warrantee, some retailers may down sell the warrantee.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 29, 2004
  10. In article <ceahg7$qbo$>, says...
    > Asus:
    >
    > I've sold several and none have required any service or had any faults.
    > They are made as well as any other.
    > Don't forget that Asus makes motherboards for companies like HP and Intel as
    > well (over 30 million a year).
    >
    > I would not hesitate, but make sure you get the full manufacturers
    > warrantee, some retailers may down sell the warrantee.

    They make very good cd writers as well, I just bought one.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 29, 2004