    glasses.

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    David Guest

    On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:50:45 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend low - mid-range headphones with mic that has decent
    > sound, good audio pickup from the mic, without capturing too much
    > background noise?
    >
    > I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    > glasses.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I'm interested too - particularly which ones are best at canceling
    background noise.

    I use a Genius HS-02N folding headset (was $12, now $15). Probably about
    as cheap as they come but I have found it very good for my use - even for
    occasional listening to music.

    However one Skype contact has a noisy laptop (HD or fan?) - barely hear it
    sitting beside laptop, but with the Genius HS-04A headset they were using,
    there was a very distracting whine at the other end. Other background
    noises (talking, TV etc) were also picked up & very distracting.

    The HS-04A makes no claim re noise cancelation, so my contact just bought
    an HS-04SU set
    (http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=589) that does
    claim "Noise-canceling" as one of its distinguishing features.

    Audio quality of the headphones is apparently very good (at least for
    talk), but it does not appear to have made the slightest difference to the
    amount of background noise coming through at my end.

    Has left me wondering how good any of the sets are at eliminating
    background noise. It would interesting to hear feedback on other bands.

    David
    David, Apr 5, 2006

  3. David wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:50:45 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend low - mid-range headphones with mic that has decent
    >> sound, good audio pickup from the mic, without capturing too much
    >> background noise?
    >>
    >> I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    >> glasses.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > I'm interested too - particularly which ones are best at canceling
    > background noise.
    >
    > I use a Genius HS-02N folding headset (was $12, now $15). Probably about
    > as cheap as they come but I have found it very good for my use - even for
    > occasional listening to music.
    >
    > However one Skype contact has a noisy laptop (HD or fan?) - barely hear it
    > sitting beside laptop, but with the Genius HS-04A headset they were using,
    > there was a very distracting whine at the other end. Other background
    > noises (talking, TV etc) were also picked up & very distracting.
    >
    > The HS-04A makes no claim re noise cancelation, so my contact just bought
    > an HS-04SU set
    > (http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=589) that does
    > claim "Noise-canceling" as one of its distinguishing features.
    >
    > Audio quality of the headphones is apparently very good (at least for
    > talk), but it does not appear to have made the slightest difference to the
    > amount of background noise coming through at my end.
    >
    > Has left me wondering how good any of the sets are at eliminating
    > background noise. It would interesting to hear feedback on other bands.

    Noise cancellation is usually achieved by having two microphones connected out
    of phase with one aimed away from the wanted sound and the other aimed towards it.

    Because of the spatial separation of the two microphones this cancellation
    works a lot better at low frequencies that at high ones.

    High frequency and white noise, such as that produced by fans, is not
    effectively cancelled.
    Mark Robinson, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    David Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:28:19 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:50:45 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone recommend low - mid-range headphones with mic that has decent
    >>> sound, good audio pickup from the mic, without capturing too much
    >>> background noise?
    >>>
    >>> I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    >>> glasses.
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> I'm interested too - particularly which ones are best at canceling
    >> background noise.
    >>
    >> I use a Genius HS-02N folding headset (was $12, now $15). Probably about
    >> as cheap as they come but I have found it very good for my use - even for
    >> occasional listening to music.
    >>
    >> However one Skype contact has a noisy laptop (HD or fan?) - barely hear it
    >> sitting beside laptop, but with the Genius HS-04A headset they were using,
    >> there was a very distracting whine at the other end. Other background
    >> noises (talking, TV etc) were also picked up & very distracting.
    >>
    >> The HS-04A makes no claim re noise cancelation, so my contact just bought
    >> an HS-04SU set
    >> (http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=589) that does
    >> claim "Noise-canceling" as one of its distinguishing features.
    >>
    >> Audio quality of the headphones is apparently very good (at least for
    >> talk), but it does not appear to have made the slightest difference to the
    >> amount of background noise coming through at my end.
    >>
    >> Has left me wondering how good any of the sets are at eliminating
    >> background noise. It would interesting to hear feedback on other bands.

    > Noise cancellation is usually achieved by having two microphones connected out
    > of phase with one aimed away from the wanted sound and the other aimed towards it.
    >
    > Because of the spatial separation of the two microphones this cancellation
    > works a lot better at low frequencies that at high ones.
    >
    > High frequency and white noise, such as that produced by fans, is not
    > effectively cancelled.

    Just found this review http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2632

    According to that a decent noise canceling mic should eliminate persistent
    (& presumably high pitched) whine from a PC.

    TR also reviewed the HS-04SU
    (http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2447). Generally they rate
    them favourably (especially given the price) but from my reading of the
    article, they did not appear to test the "noise canceling" performance of
    this set. Just repeated the avertising blurb about them being
    noise-cancelling.

    David
    David, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in

    > I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    > glasses.

    I love my plantronics for VOIP.
    Good bass for inexpensive headphones too.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    David Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 12:50:44 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
    >
    >> I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    >> glasses.

    > I love my plantronics for VOIP.
    > Good bass for inexpensive headphones too.

    Model? Audio 90?

    Noise cancelling mic?

    David, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend low - mid-range headphones with mic that has decent
    > sound, good audio pickup from the mic, without capturing too much
    > background noise?
    >
    > I'd be especially interested in some that are not uncomfortable with
    > glasses.

    If budget is not that important, grab a Sennheiser headset. Simply
    beautiful sound, top quality noise reduction on the mic, and available
    in lots of configurations.

    Kinda pricey tho, but I wouldn't buy anything else now.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey
    Mark Remfrey, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    David <> wrote in news:ma3pifu80h99
    $:

    > Model? Audio 90?
    >
    > Noise cancelling mic?

    Don't know model, it folds up and came with a little pouch.
    Has stereo headphones, and a boom mic.
    On lead is volume and mute.
    I bought it in Singapore and felt like it was good value there.
    First Plantronics I have ever owned, and I can say that the $10.00 headset
    my mother in law has is crap.
    This was about $30.00 NZD IIRC.
    DSP-400 Foldable PC Headset

    Wow I just found out that my headset is WAY better than I thought...

    I must go tweak it now.
    http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat640035/cat143003
    2/prod440042

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2006
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in

    > Wow I just found out that my headset is WAY better than I thought...

    NO, I am wrong. I do not have this one as it is USB. Mine is analogue and
    the sales rep made sure I was ok with that.
    So what I have is this one with none of the digital stuff.
    So I guess what I am saying is that you don't need all that digital
    stuff...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 5, 2006
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    David Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:16:25 +1200, David wrote:

    > However one Skype contact has a noisy laptop (HD or fan?) - barely hear it
    > sitting beside laptop, but with the Genius HS-04A headset they were using,
    > there was a very distracting whine at the other end. Other background
    > noises (talking, TV etc) were also picked up & very distracting.
    >
    > The HS-04A makes no claim re noise cancelation, so my contact just bought
    > an HS-04SU set
    > (http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/product-1.asp?pdtno=589) that does
    > claim "Noise-canceling" as one of its distinguishing features.
    >
    > Audio quality of the headphones is apparently very good (at least for
    > talk), but it does not appear to have made the slightest difference to the
    > amount of background noise coming through at my end.
    >
    > Has left me wondering how good any of the sets are at eliminating
    > background noise. It would interesting to hear feedback on other bands.
    >
    > David

    A follow up that may be of interest to some:

    I contacted TR re the problem, noting that it did not appear to have been
    identified in the review.

    Got a prompt reply back from one of the TR staff, which included the
    following:

    ". The noise your getting is down to the poor sound card on her laptop I'm
    afraid. Short of buying a PCMCIA sound card (which would be fairly costly)
    there isn't a lot you can do about it."

    Subsequent testing (by getting the other end to use the headset from a
    desktop PC in another room suggests that he may well be correct. ie. had no
    problems with background noise when the headset was used on the PC (rather
    than on the old laptop)

    Ather suggestion he made (in a subsequent email) was to use a USB headset
    to sidestep the laptop sound card. May look at that if we can find a cheap
    USB headset.

    David
    David, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mike Newman Guest

    I've just bought the Genius HS-04A, and find it too bassy (possibly
    due to hearing loss in higher ranges).

    Is there a simple way to lower the bass response or to lift the middle
    and higher frequencies.

    Thanks MikeN

    Mike Newman, Apr 7, 2006