Decent basic download resumers?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to

    1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    www.tranceaddict.com)
    3) Free of spyware / Adware

    I don't need anything to 'accelerate' downloads or any other fancy
    features. But it appears most download managers will come packed in
    with all these fancy features, which seems to just complicate matters.
    Infact most sites I've come accross prohibit the use of download
    'accelerators'.

    I've tried FreshDownload, and to be honest, I do not like Fresh Download
    at all. In my experience I've found that Fresh Download will corrupt
    downloads over 100MB about 1/3 of the time necessitating a complete
    redownload and I have since uninstalled from my system. I've been
    bitten too many times and apparently after several updates, it still
    doesn't seem to do it properly.

    Currently I've either been using a spyware ladened version of Reget or
    Just simply been using Firefox's "save as" and crossing my fingers that
    things don't hiccup, at least I've had MUCH greater success that way
    than through using Fresh Download.

    Failing finding anything suitable, I'll just continue downloading large
    files using Firefox's "save as" feature and crossing my fingers.

    TIA

    Pacific Dragon, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon

    Axle Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    > difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    > to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    > out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    > situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to
    >
    > 1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    > 2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    > www.tranceaddict.com)
    > 3) Free of spyware / Adware

    %><----

    leechget
    http://www.leechget.net/en/

    Axle, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Pacific Dragon

    Mark C Guest

    Pacific Dragon <> wrote in

    > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am
    > having difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic
    > download manager to simply resume downloads with. ...

    I use GetRight, which although shareware, still works despite never
    having been registered (version 5.0)

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=getright

    Mark

    Mark C, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon

    Lillian Gish Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > Pacific Dragon <> wrote in
    >
    >> Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am
    >> having difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic
    >> download manager to simply resume downloads with. ...

    > I use GetRight, which although shareware, still works despite never
    > having been registered (version 5.0)
    >
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=getright
    >
    > Mark

    But, isn't GetRight loaded with spyware?

    Lillian Gish, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Pacific Dragon

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:27:52 +1300, "Lillian Gish" <> wrote:

    >"Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >> Pacific Dragon <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am
    >>> having difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic
    >>> download manager to simply resume downloads with. ...

    >> I use GetRight, which although shareware, still works despite never
    >> having been registered (version 5.0)
    >>
    >> http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=getright
    >>
    >> Mark

    >But, isn't GetRight loaded with spyware?

    Nope

    Invisible, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Pacific Dragon

    Lillian Gish Guest

    Lillian Gish, Mar 5, 2005
  7. Pacific Dragon

    joe_90 Guest

    joe_90, Mar 5, 2005
  8. Pacific Dragon

    Krazy Bob Guest

    Why not Go Zilla??

    Krazy Bob, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    > difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    > to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    > out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    > situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to
    >
    > 1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    > 2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    > www.tranceaddict.com)
    > 3) Free of spyware / Adware

    Wget. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, particularly the Linux
    crowd. There are native Win32 ports available (Just search Google for
    "wget win32").

    Wget _is_ easy to use the way you want to use it, and it has all the
    features you require, without any of the fancy features that have very
    limited application in real world situations.

    Easy as this -

    wget www.example.com/file.htm

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 6, 2005
  10. Pacific Dragon

    joe_90 Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Wget. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, particularly the Linux
    > crowd. There are native Win32 ports available (Just search Google for
    > "wget win32").

    Actually 'they' have :)

    WackGet is a simple Windows front-end to wget

    joe_90, Mar 6, 2005
  11. Pacific Dragon

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "joe_90" <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote in message
    > WackGet
    >
    > Simple, free 'no frills' download manager for Windows.
    >
    > Has been reliable for me.
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/wackget.html

    I find it does a good enough job as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 6, 2005
  12. Pacific Dragon

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <422a2585$> in nz.comp on Sun, 06 Mar 2005
    10:30:51 +1300, Pacific Dragon <> says...
    > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    > difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    > to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    > out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    > situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to
    >
    > 1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    > 2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    > www.tranceaddict.com)
    > 3) Free of spyware / Adware
    >
    > I don't need anything to 'accelerate' downloads or any other fancy
    > features. But it appears most download managers will come packed in
    > with all these fancy features, which seems to just complicate matters.
    > Infact most sites I've come accross prohibit the use of download
    > 'accelerators'.

    Download Express is very good, and free.

    You can set up the number of connections so it can be used as an
    accelerator, but this can be effectively turned off as well.

    > I've tried FreshDownload, and to be honest, I do not like Fresh Download
    > at all. In my experience I've found that Fresh Download will corrupt
    > downloads over 100MB about 1/3 of the time necessitating a complete
    > redownload and I have since uninstalled from my system. I've been
    > bitten too many times and apparently after several updates, it still
    > doesn't seem to do it properly.
    >
    > Currently I've either been using a spyware ladened version of Reget or
    > Just simply been using Firefox's "save as" and crossing my fingers that
    > things don't hiccup, at least I've had MUCH greater success that way
    > than through using Fresh Download.
    >
    > Failing finding anything suitable, I'll just continue downloading large
    > files using Firefox's "save as" feature and crossing my fingers.

    The DownloadWith extension will hook any downloader through Mozilla /
    Firefox.

    SchoolTech, Mar 6, 2005
  13. Pacific Dragon

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <422a51f1$> in nz.comp on Sun, 06 Mar 2005
    13:31:46 +1300, The Other Guy <> says...
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    > > difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    > > to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    > > out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    > > situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to
    > >
    > > 1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    > > 2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    > > www.tranceaddict.com)
    > > 3) Free of spyware / Adware

    > Wget. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, particularly the Linux
    > crowd. There are native Win32 ports available (Just search Google for
    > "wget win32").
    >
    > Wget _is_ easy to use the way you want to use it, and it has all the
    > features you require, without any of the fancy features that have very
    > limited application in real world situations.
    >
    > Easy as this -
    >
    > wget www.example.com/file.htm

    Because in the Windows world we want something that just needs a
    mouseclick.

    SchoolTech, Mar 6, 2005
  14. Pacific Dragon

    bAZZ Guest

    Went down thispath myself recently. Tried Fresh Download but it lacked
    a few features. Filezilla,Reget, flash get, Leechget2004 are a few I
    tried. Still have not made up my mind yet tho. These all work OK and a
    very handy extension for Firefox is FlashGot that intergrates with the
    download manager you chose. Really handy little utility.
    What I want is the ability to right click a page and use the 'download
    all' option that some managers include. still farting around with them
    trying to pick one that does all I want. Some do and some have other
    features that are handy but none so far have all that I want.

    The buit in Firefox manager seems to do most files for me OK though.
    When I get time will trial a few and report back to you. Good luck.

    HTH
    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Mar 6, 2005
  15. Pacific Dragon

    bAZZ Guest

    Will it do firefox 1.0 and above now ? I used to use it but it won't
    with the latest versions. Use Flashgot extension instead but was handy
    to chose with Downloadwith.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Mar 6, 2005

    heh, for a laugh, try "wget www.*"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 6, 2005
  17. Pacific Dragon

    axel Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:

    > In article <422a51f1$> in nz.comp on Sun, 06 Mar 2005
    > 13:31:46 +1300, The Other Guy <> says...
    >> Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >> > Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am having
    >> > difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic download manager
    >> > to simply resume downloads with. I would have thought that with so many
    >> > out there that it would have been easy to find one suitable for my
    >> > situation. All I need is a Free and basic download resumer to
    >> >
    >> > 1) Be able to resume downloads without constantly corrupting files.
    >> > 2) Able to handle referrers and redirects. (e.g., like what is found on
    >> > www.tranceaddict.com)
    >> > 3) Free of spyware / Adware

    >> Wget. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, particularly the Linux
    >> crowd. There are native Win32 ports available (Just search Google for
    >> "wget win32").
    >>
    >> Wget _is_ easy to use the way you want to use it, and it has all the
    >> features you require, without any of the fancy features that have very
    >> limited application in real world situations.
    >>
    >> Easy as this -
    >>
    >> wget www.example.com/file.htm

    > Because in the Windows world we want something that just needs a
    > mouseclick.

    In linux world thats called a "browser"

    axel, Mar 7, 2005
  18. Pacific Dragon

    Chris Guest

    The new DownloadStudio 2.1 may be the thing you're after. Just tried
    it over the weekend and its got great integration with Firefox. (link
    - http://www.downloadstudio.com)

    Chris.

    Chris, Mar 7, 2005
  19. Pacific Dragon

    Adder Guest

    In article <JnqWd.7000$>,
    says...

    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > > Pacific Dragon <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Admittedly This has been causing me a bit of angst. But I am
    > >> having difficulty in trying to locate a decent free and basic
    > >> download manager to simply resume downloads with. ...

    > > I use GetRight, which although shareware, still works despite never
    > > having been registered (version 5.0)
    > >
    > > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=getright
    > >
    > > Mark

    > But, isn't GetRight loaded with spyware?

    versions 4.x were
    the current verson claims nott to be

    Adder, Mar 7, 2005
  20. Pacific Dragon

    rob Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > The new DownloadStudio 2.1 may be the thing you're after. Just tried
    > it over the weekend and its got great integration with Firefox. (link
    > - http://www.downloadstudio.com)
    >
    > Chris.

    Um, didn't the original poster ask about free downloaders? Download
    studio is 15 day trial.

    rob, Mar 8, 2005