    1. Advertising

  2. Smaug69

    FAQmeister Guest

    FAQmeister, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Smaug69

    BOHICA Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    news:cfquvh$cpq$...
    > "Smaug69" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/monthly/art.php/867

    > I liked this part:
    >
    > "If you're eating popcorn while watching your videos and want to change
    > discs, wipe your hands vigorously on your pants or shirt..."

    I guess I've been following the correct procedure for years... ;-)

    BOHICA, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Smaug69

    napalm68 Guest

    Myth indeed...

    Yeah, delamination is a bitch. Main cause of that as they say is force
    required to get the disc out of the container. Unfortunately some of the
    clasps manufacturers make are just plain shit . My R4 XFiles boxes have a
    disgusting clasp mechanism that I have had to trim with a chisel so that the
    discs can be removed and replaced with a small amount of force

    napalm68, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Smaug69

    Eric R. Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<>...

    > http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/monthly/art.php/867

    DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
    shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
    Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
    "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
    films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
    get worse over time.

    Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
    (just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
    problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
    clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
    haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
    with those damn Sony pressings.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 17, 2004
  6. Smaug69

    Jay Stewart Guest

    > > http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/monthly/art.php/867

    > DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
    > shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
    > Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
    > "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
    > films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
    > get worse over time.
    >
    > Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
    > (just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
    > problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
    > clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
    > haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
    > with those damn Sony pressings.
    >
    > -Eric

    Rot seems to be a catch all term for very real problems. My elderly copy of
    "Network" has delamination bubbles on the WS and Pan 'n' Scam sides of the
    disc, rendering it unplayable at about the 90 minute mark.

    It is, however, the only disc out of +500 that I've seen this on.

    Jay Stewart, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Smaug69

    Jake Guest

    Exactly. This "article" which says there is no such thing as rot but
    it mentions that delamination can occur. To me it's simply using a
    different term to describe the same thing because in my book
    delamination = rot. If a DVD used to play fine on a couple different
    players and 2 years later it won't play all the way through (it locks
    up with large blocks on the screen) on the same players as before --
    or any other players, then that is rot/delamination/oxidation, etc.

    So rather than debunk the myth of DVD rot, this article confirmed what
    I already knew to be the case from personal experience -- rot does
    exist, but fortunately it has been quite rare in my experience... so
    far.

    Jake, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    > > http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/monthly/art.php/867

    > DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
    > shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
    > Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
    > "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
    > films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
    > get worse over time.

    That is not rot, however.

    > Now, of course, the term "rot" is kind of a catch-all term for DVD
    > (just as it was on LD) so we can debate exactly what the nature of the
    > problem is (likely a poor early manufacturing process). But it is
    > clear that the problems have indeed been real--though the problems
    > haven't been nearly as consistent as they were back in the LD days,
    > with those damn Sony pressings.

    Rot is a carry-over term from Laserdsic that has no meaning when
    discussing the problems that arise with the DVD media.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Jay Stewart" <> wrote in message news:<TNuUc.135510$gE.34604@pd7tw3no>...

    <snip>

    > Rot seems to be a catch all term for very real problems. My elderly copy of
    > "Network" has delamination bubbles on the WS and Pan 'n' Scam sides of the
    > disc, rendering it unplayable at about the 90 minute mark.
    >
    > It is, however, the only disc out of +500 that I've seen this on.

    That is not rot, though, it's delamination. If we are going to refer
    to the problems it is better to actually use terms that refer to the
    problem as specifically as possible instead of using a misnomer word
    like "rot."

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Smaug69

    Eric R. Guest

    (Smaug69) wrote in message news:<>...

    > > DVD "rot" is not a myth, though it may be exaggerated. It has been
    > > shown consistently with certain titles, particularly with some of
    > > Warner's early Dual-layered titles (like the first pressing of
    > > "Contact"). That's not to say that it happens with every copy of these
    > > films, but it happens enough to indicate that it *IS* real and does
    > > get worse over time.

    > That is not rot, however.

    There is no set definition of "rot." On Laserdisc it was an informal
    term used to describe a number of conditions that could cause a LD to
    fail over a period of time.

    Whether it will come into common use with DVD remains to be seen. So
    far, there don't appear to be nearly as many cases of degradation with
    DVD as there were with LD.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 18, 2004
  11. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...

    <snip>

    > > That is not rot, however.

    > There is no set definition of "rot." On Laserdisc it was an informal
    > term used to describe a number of conditions that could cause a LD to
    > fail over a period of time.

    Yes, and it was always a misnomer, in my book.

    > Whether it will come into common use with DVD remains to be seen. So
    > far, there don't appear to be nearly as many cases of degradation with
    > DVD as there were with LD.

    But instead of just calling it rot, which is a meaningless term, it's
    makes much more sense to address the specfic problem, such as
    delamination.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Aug 19, 2004
  12. Smaug69

    luminos Guest

    "Smaug69" <> wrote in message
    > (Eric R.) wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> > That is not rot, however.

    >> There is no set definition of "rot." On Laserdisc it was an informal
    >> term used to describe a number of conditions that could cause a LD to
    >> fail over a period of time.

    > Yes, and it was always a misnomer, in my book.
    >
    >> Whether it will come into common use with DVD remains to be seen. So
    >> far, there don't appear to be nearly as many cases of degradation with
    >> DVD as there were with LD.

    > But instead of just calling it rot, which is a meaningless term, it's
    > makes much more sense to address the specfic problem, such as
    > delamination.
    >
    > Smaug69

    Nonsense. People use terms that simplify and have metaphorical value. Rot
    is such a perfect term.

    luminos, Aug 21, 2004
  13. Smaug69

    luminos Guest

    PS

    There is a scientific study of some years ago that clearly shows that both
    CDs and ergo DVDs rot. Do a Google on CD rot and you will find it.

    luminos, Aug 21, 2004
  14. On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, luminos wrote:

    > There is a scientific study of some years ago that clearly shows that both
    > CDs and ergo DVDs rot. Do a Google on CD rot and you will find it.

    True...my 1st gen Deutsche Grammophone classical CDs no longer play
    without sounding unbearably distorted, while my beautiful Ella Fitzgerald
    set on Verve has also gone bad.

    I thought about burning copies and seeing if they would sound any better,
    but somehow I doubt they will if the data's been corrupted.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Aug 21, 2004
  15. Smaug69

    Smaug69 Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > PS
    >
    > There is a scientific study of some years ago that clearly shows that both
    > CDs and ergo DVDs rot. Do a Google on CD rot and you will find it.

    It is probably just a matter of delamination or something similar- not
    rot at all. Instead of throwing around a loose term that has no real
    practical application why not use terms that actually address the
    problem?

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Aug 22, 2004
  16. Smaug69

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I thought about burning copies and seeing if they would sound any better,
    >but somehow I doubt they will if the data's been corrupted.

    You might try one disc as a test. I found that sometimes my
    computer's CD drive could play library CDs that sounded horrible on
    my audio player, so at least some computer CD drives have better
    error correction than at least some home audio equipment.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    "You want an intelligent conversation? Do what I do: talk to
    yourself. It's the only way." -- /Torch Song Trilogy/

    Stan Brown, Aug 22, 2004