    Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 19, 2009

  2. John McWilliams

    me Guest

    On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:07:38 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >I have two images taken 20 seconds apart which show something I've not
    >seen- or at least not noticed- before: There's a large amount of spots
    >on one that look like sensor dust, but on the one 20 seconds later,
    >there're no spots.
    >.....on more checking, I see that the camera hadn't been fired for
    >several days, so might it be that there was a lot of sensor dust on the
    >first shot which was blown off by the mirror flapping?
    >
    >Anyone experienced this?
    >
    >Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

    As you have not explicitly stated the aperture setting for both, may
    we assume they were the same, and not that the first was considerably
    more stopped down from the second?

    I have also seen trash motes move with just moving/reorienting the
    camera. Any chance of condensation on the AA filter initially?
    me, Sep 19, 2009

  3. me wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:07:38 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have two images taken 20 seconds apart which show something I've not
    >> seen- or at least not noticed- before: There's a large amount of spots
    >> on one that look like sensor dust, but on the one 20 seconds later,
    >> there're no spots.
    >> .....on more checking, I see that the camera hadn't been fired for
    >> several days, so might it be that there was a lot of sensor dust on the
    >> first shot which was blown off by the mirror flapping?
    >>
    >> Anyone experienced this?
    >>
    >> Other explanations/confirmation/naysaying all welcome.

    > As you have not explicitly stated the aperture setting for both, may
    > we assume they were the same, and not that the first was considerably
    > more stopped down from the second?

    You hit the nail on the head; thanks.

    It was the first thing I checked, but I misread ƒ45 for ƒ4.5, close to
    the ƒ stop of the adjacent image! Then I went out and shot the sky at
    highest ƒ stop, OoF, and while there were spots not nearly as many or as
    big, and were in different locations. Then I posted. Then I read, and
    realized I tested with the wrong body and lens! I don't normally shoot
    very stopped down, nor with a lot of sky, nor OoF.... So a nice combo of
    events, plus inattention on my part sealed the deal.

    Looks like I have some cleaning to do.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 19, 2009