DEATH OF THE D60 !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, May 21, 2004.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Well, sports fans, it had to happen sooner or later.

    I'm up on the mountain this evening, as I often am after work, and the shooting
    is going a little slow. No eagles in sight .... just a few buzzards (turkey
    vultures), 5 crows chasing a hawk, and one baby rabbit watching me carefully.

    Anyway, I'm fooling around killing some time trying to get a bumblebee to pose
    for me when I hit the shutter button on the Totally Digital D60 and nothing
    happens.
    I mean NOTHING!! No click, no nothing.
    In a panic, I go to the car and get my remote shutter cable, but that doesn't
    work either. I put in a fresh camera battery, hoping that the change might
    clear it up, but still nothing. After fiddling with the thing I finally get it
    to fire one final shot.
    Of tree bark, of all things! I fiddle some more, thinking I might get it to
    where it will fire one final time, and I survey the landscape for a worthy last
    subject.
    The little bunny suspects my plan and hops back into the bushes, safely out of
    fire and out of range of the Better Beamer.

    But it's hopeless now anyway.

    My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased to be!
    The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff!
    Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
    It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit bucket. It
    has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin'
    choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

    So I'm just gonna toss it into the friggin reservoir and go home and order a
    bloody10D. The wife will never know the difference. She's so analog!

    But wait! What's this?
    The mode selector ring has been moved to "A-Dep" which is a rarely used and
    seldom needed Automatic Depth of Field mode. Let's see, if memory serves, when
    you're in this mode you must press the shutter at least 3 times to get anything
    to happen. Let's get back to Av mode and see what happens.

    IT'S A MIRACLE !!! My Totally Digital D60 has been resurrected! In one
    telling moment I feel stupid, gleeful, and sad. Stupid cause I didn't even
    notice I had turned the knob when I was changing lenses. Gleeful that my
    prized D60 was functioning again. And sad that I wouldn't be calling B&H
    tonight.

    It's like Meat Loaf said in "Roadie" .... "Everything works if ya let it."

    Annika1980, May 21, 2004

  2. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.

    Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

    Annika1980, May 21, 2004

  3. Annika1980

    chibitul Guest

    In article <>,
    (Annika1980) wrote:

    [snip]

    > My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased to be!
    > The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff!
    > Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
    > It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit bucket.
    > It
    > has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the
    > bleedin'
    > choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

    [snip]

    Hi Annika, don;t you worry, Sigma makes a great camera, which will blow
    away your blurry Bater sensor. You will be amazed, believe me. Ask
    Gerorge Preddy. He can confirm this.

    chibitul, May 21, 2004
  4. Annika1980

    Mike Jenkins Guest

    Mike Jenkins, May 21, 2004
  5. Annika1980

    jean Guest

    "chibitul" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > In article <>,
    > (Annika1980) wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >
    > > My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased

    to be!
    > > The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a

    stiff!
    > > Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
    > > It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit

    bucket.
    > > It
    > > has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the
    > > bleedin'
    > > choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

    > [snip]
    >
    > Hi Annika, don;t you worry, Sigma makes a great camera, which will blow
    > away your blurry Bater sensor. You will be amazed, believe me. Ask
    > Gerorge Preddy. He can confirm this.

    Right you are, I am just waiting for my Drebel to crap out, I take pictures
    all the time to make sure it does go south. And all these crappy Canon
    lenses, especially the last one I got (24-70 f2,8 L), I just hope I can get
    an even trade on equivalent Sigma SA mounts to go with my future SD9.

    sigh!

    jean, May 21, 2004
  6. Annika1980

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Mike Jenkins wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
    >>
    >>Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?
    >>My grandfather

    What a thought provoking question :)

    May I assume that it was to be my last photo, it was also
    to be one of my last acts on this earth?

    Couldn't dream of choosing between my children. Nor my
    grandkids. So, seeing I've always been the picture taker,
    and expended great effort to avoid being the picture
    takee, perhaps given that I'm getting pretty long in
    the tooth I'd consider one of myself to leave
    behind for them...

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 21, 2004
  7. Annika1980

    NightStar Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:51:52 GMT, Ken Weitzel <>
    wrote:

    >Mike Jenkins wrote:
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
    >>>
    >>>Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?
    >>>My grandfather
    >>>

    >What a thought provoking question :)
    >
    >May I assume that it was to be my last photo, it was also
    >to be one of my last acts on this earth?
    >
    >Couldn't dream of choosing between my children. Nor my
    >grandkids. So, seeing I've always been the picture taker,
    >and expended great effort to avoid being the picture
    >takee, perhaps given that I'm getting pretty long in
    >the tooth I'd consider one of myself to leave
    >behind for them...
    >
    >Take care.
    >
    >Ken

    My choice would be myself - If it's a "terminal" one-more-picture. (As
    Ken said above, I have rarely been photographed myself, so one for the
    family would be fitting.)

    However, if it's just a case of the last picture ever, and I can't
    photograph for the rest of my life... then it would have to be the
    other half.

    Yet, and on a lighter note here, knowing my luck I'd end up taking a
    blurred shot of my feet!

    Tony.

    NightStar, May 21, 2004
  8. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole

    story.

    > Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would

    it be?

    Glad to hear your D60 is fine, although a new 10D would be nice.

    What one photo would I take? My Dad. It was Father's day ten years
    ago and we were all gathered at my sister's home. My wife had loaded
    the Rebel with a roll of B&W film and had been taking a few photos.
    She kept asking me to get a photo of my dad, myself, and my two sons
    together - all three generations together - as we had no pictures like
    that. I got too busy that day barbecuing, playing basketball, hockey,
    etc. We never took the photos. The next day my suddenly and
    unexpectedly died of a heart attack, only 60 years old. How I wish I
    took the time to get those photos.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, May 21, 2004
  9. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
    >
    > Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

    An extremely long time exposure.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 21, 2004
  10. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Bart van der Wolf"

    >> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

    >An extremely long time exposure.

    That reminds me of when someone asked boxer, Larry Holmes, how he'd like to be
    remembered after he's gone.

    "As the longest living black man ever."

    Annika1980, May 21, 2004
  11. Annika1980

    YoYo Guest

    A Photo of Me and My Working 10D

    YoYo, May 21, 2004
  12. Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
    >>
    >>Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

    > An extremely long time exposure.

    At ƒ 4,080,000,000?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, May 21, 2004
  13. Annika1980

    John Tucker Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >> In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole
    >> story.
    >>
    >> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would
    >> it be?

    > Glad to hear your D60 is fine, although a new 10D would be nice.
    >
    > What one photo would I take? My Dad. It was Father's day ten years
    > ago and we were all gathered at my sister's home. My wife had loaded
    > the Rebel with a roll of B&W film and had been taking a few photos.
    > She kept asking me to get a photo of my dad, myself, and my two sons
    > together - all three generations together - as we had no pictures like
    > that. I got too busy that day barbecuing, playing basketball, hockey,
    > etc. We never took the photos. The next day my suddenly and
    > unexpectedly died of a heart attack, only 60 years old. How I wish I
    > took the time to get those photos.

    Thanks for that, Peter. My dad isn't in the best of health so I think a
    photo is a great idea.

    John

    John Tucker, May 21, 2004
  14. (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Well, sports fans, it had to happen sooner or later.

    The 6MP-monochrome, 1.5MP-color-interpolated D60 was canned long ago.

    George Preddy, May 22, 2004
  15. Annika1980

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    that:

    > (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Well, sports fans, it had to happen sooner or later.

    >The 6MP-[*SLAP!*]

    ....EOS 10D is vastly superior to all the Sigma DSLRs.

    Show us the photos you sold, liar.

    Lionel, May 22, 2004
  16. Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    > that:
    >
    > > (Annika1980) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> Well, sports fans, it had to happen sooner or later.

    > >The 6MP-[*SLAP!*]

    > ...EOS 10D is vastly superior to all the Sigma DSLRs.

    In price. But you only get 6MP monochrome, 1.5MP color interpolated.

    Georgette Preddy, May 22, 2004
  17. Annika1980

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    stated that:

    >Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    >> that:

    >> >The 6MP-[*SLAP!*]

    >> ...EOS 10D is vastly superior to all the Sigma DSLRs.

    >In price. [*SLAP!*]

    Plus, you get double the resolution - and you get photos you *can* sell.
    I notice that you still can't prove you've ever sold a photo in your
    life, liar.

    Lionel, May 22, 2004
  18. Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    > stated that:
    >
    > >Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> Kibo informs me that (George Preddy) stated
    > >> that:

    > >> ...EOS 10D is vastly superior to all the Sigma DSLRs.

    > >In price. [*SLAP!*]

    > Plus, you get double the resolution

    If you are ignorant enough to actually count monochrome resolution vs
    full color resolution.

    The SD10 has 230% more (!!!) sensors than the tiny Canon 10D CMOS.

    Georgette Preddy, May 23, 2004
  19. Annika1980

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    stated that:

    >Lionel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    >> stated that:

    >> >In price. [*SLAP!*]

    >> Plus, you get double the resolution

    >If you are ignorant enough to [*SLAP!]

    ...fall for the Preddiot's gibberish, I feel truly sorry for you.

    Going to show us these photos you said you sold, Preddiot?

    Lionel, May 23, 2004
  20. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: (Georgette Preddy)

    >The SD10 has 230% more (!!!) sensors than the tiny Canon 10D CMOS.

    And oddly enough, 2.9 Million less pixels.

    Annika1980, May 23, 2004