    being online service only is not so great, and that not many people will pay
    extra bucks just for something that was previously free...

    anyway , just an opinion.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 29, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    EMB Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now that
    > telecom are dropping news groups.
    >
    > Given , that telecom have a basic monopoly on internet, and google groups
    > being online service only is not so great, and that not many people will pay
    > extra bucks just for something that was previously free...

    Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    if you want to change ISP.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 29, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >> that telecom are dropping news groups.
    >>
    >> Given , that telecom have a basic monopoly on internet, and google
    >> groups being online service only is not so great, and that not many
    >> people will pay extra bucks just for something that was previously
    >> free...

    > Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    > still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    > if you want to change ISP.

    depending on the quality of those servers.

    news at Clear is not renowned for its quality or its reliability....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 29, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    > that telecom are dropping news groups.

    Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Apr 29, 2006
  5. On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:05:30 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    > still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    > if you want to change ISP.

    .... except, as Cliff pointed out, for those ISPs that were getting their
    news feed from Telecom/Xtra.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 29, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves
    >>> now that telecom are dropping news groups.
    >>>
    >>> Given , that telecom have a basic monopoly on internet, and google
    >>> groups being online service only is not so great, and that not many
    >>> people will pay extra bucks just for something that was previously
    >>> free...

    >> Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    >> still running their servers so there's always a "free" option
    >> available if you want to change ISP.
    >>

    > depending on the quality of those servers.
    >
    > news at Clear is not renowned for its quality or its reliability....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    dum deee dooooo

    regards

    Me....
    thingy, Apr 29, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    kiwigal Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:05:30 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    > > Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    > > still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    > > if you want to change ISP.

    > ... except, as Cliff pointed out, for those ISPs that were getting their
    > news feed from Telecom/Xtra.

    Or go to google and read it from there..
    kiwigal, Apr 29, 2006
  8. "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >> that telecom are dropping news groups.

    > Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    > client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    > grumpy

    works for me

    Tihare
    Tihare Eruera, Apr 29, 2006
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    Seagull Guest

    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >> that telecom are dropping news groups.

    > Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    > client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    > grumpy

    I tried to set aioe up in Outlook Express but the only newsgroups that show
    as available are half a dozen related to aioe.org itself.

    What have I missed doing?
    --
    Seagull
    Seagull, Apr 29, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now that
    >telecom are dropping news groups.
    >
    > Given , that telecom have a basic monopoly on internet, and google groups
    > being online service only is not so great, and that not many people will
    > pay extra bucks just for something that was previously free...
    >
    > anyway , just an opinion.

    Most people on usenet have the sense to be with other ISPs. Cheap flat rate
    internet is something that Telecom /Xtra NEVER did pioneer in NZ, and
    Telecom are hardly doing anything when it comes to offering cheap broadband
    with plenty of data for the lowest plan.
    Xtra's cheapest plan would be used up in half an or less by downloading a
    200MB file.
    The only thing people should by from Telecom is shares.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 29, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >> that telecom are dropping news groups.

    > Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    > client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    > grumpy

    A pretty painless move, an even better one would be to dump Xtra.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 29, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    a_l_p Guest

    kiwigal wrote:
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:05:30 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >>

    >>>Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    >>>still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    >>>if you want to change ISP.

    >>... except, as Cliff pointed out, for those ISPs that were getting their
    >>news feed from Telecom/Xtra.
    >>

    > Or go to google and read it from there..

    While that's a sensible thing to do, and using nntp.aioe.org is even better,
    either of them addresses the problem of xtra being an arsehole organization.
    If I were with xtra instead of with Ihug, the ISP that has been earning itself a
    top reputation recently, I'd have to have an exceptionally strong reason not to
    give xtra the finger. And I'd make it clear to them that I was leaving them
    because of their usenet rort.

    A L P
    a_l_p, Apr 29, 2006
  13. On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:56:12 -0700, kiwigal wrote:

    > Or go to google and read it from there..

    Google is a website, not a news server.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 29, 2006
  14. On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:03:23 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now that
    >telecom are dropping news groups.

    They;re already a shadow of their former selves and have been for a
    couple of years now....

    --
    Karen Hayward-King

    'Blood brothers in the stormy night
    With a vow to defend
    No retreat, baby, no surrender...'
    Bruce Springsteen

    Karen Hayward-King, Apr 29, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jo Guest

    "Karen Hayward-King" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:03:23 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >>that
    >>telecom are dropping news groups.
    >>

    > They;re already a shadow of their former selves and have been for a
    > couple of years now....

    About the time the anti-anti semite and the "you love respect jews or else"
    crowd constantly attacked and spammed posters. They reminded me of catholic
    guilt, my mother, JW's and Attila the Hun's mother in law rolled into one.
    Jo, Apr 29, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:16:41 +1200, Seagull wrote:

    > "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >>> that telecom are dropping news groups.

    >> Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    >> client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    >> grumpy

    > I tried to set aioe up in Outlook Express but the only newsgroups that show
    > as available are half a dozen related to aioe.org itself.
    >
    > What have I missed doing?

    Try doing it with a real newsreader and see if it works better or post
    exactly how you did it so others can help you some vague reference to
    trying to set it up hardly tells the rest of us anything. As you can see I
    am posting from said server quite happily to this group.
    Rebel Lion, Apr 29, 2006
  17. "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > EMB wrote:
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >>> that telecom are dropping news groups.
    >>>
    >>> Given , that telecom have a basic monopoly on internet, and google
    >>> groups being online service only is not so great, and that not many
    >>> people will pay extra bucks just for something that was previously
    >>> free...

    >> Xtra dropping usenet will only impact xtra customers. Other ISPs are
    >> still running their servers so there's always a "free" option available
    >> if you want to change ISP.
    >>

    > depending on the quality of those servers.
    >
    > news at Clear is not renowned for its quality or its reliability....

    Better than Xtra with no service, and ICONZ with no service...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 29, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    Seagull Guest

    "Rebel Lion" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:16:41 +1200, Seagull wrote:
    >

    >> "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't be idle,switch to this one, nntp.aioe.org on your
    >>> client,I am using them for this post,good price,zip.
    >>> grumpy

    >> I tried to set aioe up in Outlook Express but the only newsgroups that
    >> show
    >> as available are half a dozen related to aioe.org itself.
    >>
    >> What have I missed doing?

    > Try doing it with a real newsreader and see if it works better or post
    > exactly how you did it so others can help you some vague reference to
    > trying to set it up hardly tells the rest of us anything. As you can see I
    > am posting from said server quite happily to this group.

    Thanks for the repy, and sorry for the lack of info.

    OK in Outlook Express, I went to tools, accounts, selected the news tab.

    I then clicked on add and filled in the server as news.aioe.org and my name
    and email address etc.
    I then set aioe.org as the default server.
    I thought that was right as when I selected went to tools, newsgroups and
    highlighted the news.aioe.org icon and clicked download newsgroups I got a
    short list of groups that seem to be specific to aioe. e.g.
    aioe.dict.helpdesk,
    aioe.news.chat,
    control,
    cancel, etc
    However if I click subscribe, then download all messages in group I get
    message: There are no items in this view.
    I am quite prepared to try a new newsreader but I still would like to know
    if I missed some simple step in the OE setup just for my own peace of mind.
    Seagull, Apr 29, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:05:58 +1200, Seagull wrote:

    > "Rebel Lion" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:16:41 +1200, Seagull wrote:
    >>

    >>> "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message

    >>> I tried to set aioe up in Outlook Express but the only newsgroups that

    > Thanks for the repy, and sorry for the lack of info.
    >
    > OK in Outlook Express, I went to tools, accounts, selected the news tab.
    >
    > I then clicked on add and filled in the server as news.aioe.org and my name
    > and email address etc.
    > I then set aioe.org as the default server.
    > I thought that was right as when I selected went to tools, newsgroups and
    > highlighted the news.aioe.org icon and clicked download newsgroups I got a
    > short list of groups that seem to be specific to aioe. e.g.
    > aioe.dict.helpdesk,
    > aioe.news.chat,
    > control,
    > cancel, etc

    The problem is the server name it is nntp.aioe.org not news.aioe.org as
    you have put in. I'm guessing the one you have subscribed to is their own
    setup for help etc.
    Rebel Lion, Apr 29, 2006
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    Geopelia Guest

    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:03:23 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I predict, these groups will become shadows of there former selves now
    >>that
    >>telecom are dropping news groups.
    >>

    > They;re already a shadow of their former selves and have been for a
    > couple of years now....
    >
    > --
    > Karen Hayward-King

    I've noticed that, too. I think people from some groups are starting their
    own blogs instead.
    Geopelia, Apr 29, 2006