    DRM included. Fair use copying allowed."

    If only....

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Goro

    unclejr Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > Buy HD-DVD. No internet connectin required. No
    > DRM included. Fair use copying allowed."

    I'm sure that this is bait, but just in case you are serious... there
    wouldn't be any studios willing to put their films in HD-DVD format if
    Toshiba released it as a 'High-Definition 5" LaserDisc,' as you
    describe.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Goro

    Goro Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    > > Buy HD-DVD. No internet connectin required. No
    > > DRM included. Fair use copying allowed."

    > I'm sure that this is bait, but just in case you are serious... there
    > wouldn't be any studios willing to put their films in HD-DVD format if
    > Toshiba released it as a 'High-Definition 5" LaserDisc,' as you
    > describe.
    >
    > -Junior

    no not bate, but just wishful thinking. Although, I WILL point out
    that HD-DVD DOES in fact include a managed-copying facility to allow
    for creating fair-use copying. I believe it is a protocol created by
    HP that they are encouraging Sony to includ ein BluRay (to which they
    have been rebuffed, iirc).

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Goro

    unclejr Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > no not bate, but just wishful thinking.

    I didn't know whether you were in r.s.f.c. mode or a.v.dvd mode. So,
    the bait angle is not wholly inconceivable!

    > Although, I WILL point out
    > that HD-DVD DOES in fact include a managed-copying facility to allow
    > for creating fair-use copying. I believe it is a protocol created by
    > HP that they are encouraging Sony to includ ein BluRay (to which they
    > have been rebuffed, iirc).

    Why would the studios EVER agree to ANY type of copying (fair-use or
    otherwise)?

    -Junior

    unclejr, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Goro

    Goro Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    > > no not bate, but just wishful thinking.

    > I didn't know whether you were in r.s.f.c. mode or a.v.dvd mode. So,
    > the bait angle is not wholly inconceivable!
    >
    > > Although, I WILL point out
    > > that HD-DVD DOES in fact include a managed-copying facility to allow
    > > for creating fair-use copying. I believe it is a protocol created by
    > > HP that they are encouraging Sony to includ ein BluRay (to which they
    > > have been rebuffed, iirc).

    > Why would the studios EVER agree to ANY type of copying (fair-use or
    > otherwise)?
    >
    > -Junior

    APparently Sony HAS adopted Managed Copying.

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    unclejr () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Why would the studios EVER agree to ANY type of copying (fair-use or
    > otherwise)?

    Because if you support copying within the system, you can control it much
    more tightly. If there is no copying allowed (like DVDs), then somebody
    writes a program that breaks it and copies end up everywhere. In addition,
    with copying built in, anybody that does write such a program to do more
    than what is built in has a lot harder time arguing that their software is
    for "fair use", if such uses are already built in.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Nov 24, 2005
  7. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > unclejr () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Why would the studios EVER agree to ANY type of copying (fair-use or
    >> otherwise)?

    > Because if you support copying within the system, you can control it much
    > more tightly. If there is no copying allowed (like DVDs), then somebody
    > writes a program that breaks it and copies end up everywhere. In
    > addition,
    > with copying built in, anybody that does write such a program to do more
    > than what is built in has a lot harder time arguing that their software is
    > for "fair use", if such uses are already built in.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/LostNetworkPassword.gif

    The operative point is, however, that the so-called managed copying allows
    the manufacturer to charge you for each copy...or even each use if they want
    to.

    Alpha, Nov 24, 2005