    infected with viruses or worms? How do you remove them from your computer?
    What are some prevention tips?

    Thanks.

    Raymond, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > I know that viruses and worms can destroy my files and folders, but
    > can they destroy or damage my hardwares as well?
    >
    > What is the first thing you do when you found out that your computer
    > is infected with viruses or worms? How do you remove them from your
    > computer? What are some prevention tips?
    >
    > Thanks.

    the worst i'v seen a virus do to hardware was one that wrote bad data to the
    bios memory area (reboot your pc and it's dead basicly)
    hence a lot of motherboards have write protect jumpers or settings
    this is also not possible using NT based windows (NT4/2000/XP/2003) due to
    the fact the os won't allow direct access to hardware

    but anyway, if you think someones pc has a virus and you don't know what it
    is, i always pull the hard drive out, plug it my machine and use my virus
    scanner to clean it

    prevention tips, tell users to get a dam firewall, zone alarm is fine and
    free
    tell them to use windows update (the big fat ass shortcut m$ stick in your
    start menu and tools > windows update in ie)
    and the other one is of course get a virus scanner, but more importantly,
    keep it updated !
    :)

    Geoff, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    hence a lot of motherboards have write protect jumpers or settings
    this is also not possible using NT based windows (NT4/2000/XP/2003) due to
    the fact the os won't allow direct access to hardware

    I don't understand. So if I have a relatively new motherboard and the
    latest os system that mean that visuses cannot damage my hardwares?

    Thanks

    Raymond, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Raymond

    bill Guest

    just food for thought geoff

    a recent customer had a burner and dvd off the sane ide go bad (both devices
    could be found in bios but not by "any" os) the burner eeprom could only be
    read using an eeprom reader (this showed the code changed) and the dvd came
    up as region lockout. i replaced both devices only to have the burner go
    again... mmm.... i thought...
    after the first fix the customer (spelt dill...) hooked up another friends
    computer and got a bug...

    the bug did no (i think) change to video or system bios but blanked out the
    first (i think 10k...?) in the eeprom in both burners (and i think dvd as
    well although i did not check this)

    o/s was xp home on 2nd ide. a/v found a bug in both cases and did its bit.
    the only reference online to this bug (kuz... i think?) stated system bios
    damage.

    just a thought

    regards
    bill

    bill, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Hi,

    A valuable piece of suggestion!

    Lisa Duchovny, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > hence a lot of motherboards have write protect jumpers or settings
    > this is also not possible using NT based windows (NT4/2000/XP/2003)
    > due to the fact the os won't allow direct access to hardware
    >>>>>

    > I don't understand. So if I have a relatively new motherboard and the
    > latest os system that mean that visuses cannot damage my hardwares?
    >
    > Thanks

    not in the way some old virus's once did, but those are rare anyway, since
    the methods of infection don't really get used anymore

    like infecting a floppy boot sector, 1 floppys arn't used anymore much, 2
    everyone boots off hdd, not floppys these days

    like i said with NT, it doesn't allow direct access to hardware, any
    software now has to go via device drivers only, like instead of the old days
    where you had to tell your game that you had a sound blaster 16 at port 220
    these days your game simply gives the selcted sound device in windows sound
    data, the driver deals with the messy bit

    i'm not that sure about win9x, i think it allowed both direct access for
    running dos programs, and driver access for current and future software
    (hence you can run windows 9x programs on new copy of windows if the program
    was any good)
    NT based windows blocks direct access, and only allows access via drivers

    so in answer, yes, running widows xp

    if anyone knows better please tell, there is nothing worse than giving out
    bad info and newbies picking it up

    Geoff, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    ImhoTech wrote:
    > There's no risk of hardware damage from a virus, regardless of
    > operating system. There were one or two that were intended to
    > overwrite the CMOS, but they were not very wide spread and didn't
    > work very well. Additionally, overwriting the CMOS is not hardware
    > damage, its still software.
    > Viruses do not, and have not damaged hardware.

    ya i know, i meant those couple that went over the bios, not the cmos
    remember gigabytes 'dual bios' thing :)

    and no, even writing to the bios wasn't hardware damage, but it mgiht as
    well have been, loads of boards got binned and sent back becuase of it

    Geoff, Oct 16, 2003
  8. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:10:00 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >There's no risk of hardware damage from a virus, regardless of operating
    >system. There were one or two that were intended to overwrite the CMOS, but
    >they were not very wide spread and didn't work very well. Additionally,
    >overwriting the CMOS is not hardware damage, its still software.
    >Viruses do not, and have not damaged hardware.

    If a virus could alter the video frequency in just the right way, the
    monitor's horizontal output transistor could possibly be damaged...in
    theory, at least.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 17, 2003