    The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
    My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
    Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
    Tim Chmielewski, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Tim Chmielewski

    doug Guest

    Tim Chmielewski wrote:
    > In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
    > have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
    > involved.
    >
    > I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
    > usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
    > for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly more
    > are still to be removed.)
    >
    > With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
    > requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
    > are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use a different gallery application. One which will let you delete
    images and rearranges itself. If you want to be a prick, just put a note
    up that the picture was removed at the request of --blah, like many do.

    Douglas
    doug, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Tim Chmielewski

    Craig Flory Guest

    In the future, just do it the legal way ... & have any person in a photo
    sign a model release. That's the only legal way. Once you have the signed
    release you can use it as long as you want.

    Craig Flory
    Craig Flory, Jun 28, 2005
  4. "Craig Flory" <> writes:

    > In the future, just do it the legal way ... & have any person in a photo
    > sign a model release. That's the only legal way. Once you have the signed
    > release you can use it as long as you want.

    This isn't really practical for snapshots. Many people would refuse
    to sign any ordinary model release who don't mind at all appearing in
    your snapshots in public, just in your own snapshot album website.
    And you'd spend all your time trying to keep track of all the
    releases.

    Of course for commercial use, you need the releases, if only because
    nobody will *buy* for commercial use without them.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Tim Chmielewski

    Skip M Guest

    "Tim Chmielewski" <> wrote in message
    > In the past I have received requests for single photos to be removed and
    > have obliged as I wanted to continue taking photos of the musicians
    > involved.
    >
    > I have recently recieved a request to take down a few more photos than
    > usual from a recent shoot, making it easier to just re-create the gallery
    > for that shoot rather than try to edit around the photos (and possibly
    > more
    > are still to be removed.)
    >
    > With more people going to look at my site, I am sure I will get other
    > requests in the future. What strategy do you recommend in this regard and
    > are there any resources I could consult about my rights on this issue?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
    > The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
    > My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
    > Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com

    Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand, that
    you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests, since they
    know they've committed themselves.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jun 29, 2005
  6. "Skip M" <> wrote in

    > Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand,
    > that you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests,
    > since they know they've committed themselves.

    I would do that if I was planning to make money off the photos and had
    negotiated with the people in question beforehand. In this case I hadn't
    and it was more a case of wanting to keep a good relationship with the
    performers involved.

    Thanks.

    Tim Chmielewski, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Tim Chmielewski

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in
    >

    >> Model releases. If you have one, then they can't expect, or demand,
    >> that you remove an image. You'll probably eliminate any requests,
    >> since they know they've committed themselves.
    >>

    > I would do that if I was planning to make money off the photos and had
    > negotiated with the people in question beforehand. In this case I hadn't
    > and it was more a case of wanting to keep a good relationship with the
    > performers involved.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
    > The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
    > My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
    > Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com

    I figured that, but I always used to get model releases from bands I shot
    (probably on a more formal, but still occasionally unpaid, basis than what
    you're doing, it's true) and if someone truly objected to an image, I'd take
    it down to keep the peace, but a signing a release gave them the feeling
    they were committed to let you use the images. Of course, I usually just
    put up images that reflected what the band was trying to project, anyway, so
    I can't think of a single instance of someone asking me to take one down.
    Skip M, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Tim Chmielewski

    Tony Guest

    How about getting permission to use the photo in the first place, instead of
    giving all photographers a bad name?

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Tim Chmielewski, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Tim Chmielewski

    Tony Guest

    Then why do you get takedown requests? Obviously the pictures are up and
    your subjects don't want them to be. Don't do that.

    Tony, Jun 30, 2005
  11. "Tony" <> wrote in news:69Iwe.14165$Oi4.117612
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > Then why do you get takedown requests? Obviously the pictures are up and
    > your subjects don't want them to be. Don't do that.

    It wasn't a legal request. It was more that they thought the photos were
    unflatering. I would think it was a fair request as I am spending my own
    time and money to give them free promotion.

    Tim Chmielewski, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Tim Chmielewski

    Tony Guest

    Ahh yes, the old "I am really doing it for them so what's the bitch"
    approach. It never occurs to your type that people aren't really happy about
    being "promoted" by bad photographers out to make a reputation as
    papparazzo.

    Tony, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Tony wrote:
    > Ahh yes, the old "I am really doing it for them so what's the bitch"
    > approach. It never occurs to your type that people aren't really happy about
    > being "promoted" by bad photographers out to make a reputation as
    > papparazzo.

    You should know, top posting long sig schmuck.

    jpmcw
    John McWilliams, Jul 2, 2005