    thanks

    kerry murphy
    , May 27, 2005

  2. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    > it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    > stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    > "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    > converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    > Image (.iso) please help!

    The most effective method of fixing this problem is to stop buying
    bootlegs.
    Joshua Zyber, May 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    not buying bootlegs buddy. whats the point of obtaininbg stolen movies
    if you have to buy them??

    but seriosuly, thanks for the sarcastic response... ass.

    kerry murphy
    , May 27, 2005
  4. atec Guest

    Re: Dealing w/ a "Stretched" fullscreen image file... aspect ratioconversion?

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    >>it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    >>stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    >>"smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    >>converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    >>Image (.iso) please help!

    > The most effective method of fixing this problem is to stop buying
    > bootlegs.

    no one buys boot leg , they download it , that's what the net is for
    isn't it ?.
    atec, May 27, 2005
  5. Luhan Monat Guest

    atec wrote:

    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    >>> it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    >>> stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    >>> "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    >>> converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    >>> Image (.iso) please help!

    >> The most effective method of fixing this problem is to stop buying
    >> bootlegs.
    >>

    > no one buys boot leg , they download it , that's what the net is for
    > isn't it ?.

    Netflix is doing a gonzo business renting out DVD's - everybody else is
    selling blank DVD's in packs of 50 and 100. You don't suppose there is
    a connection here????

    --
    Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
    http://members.cox.net/berniekm
    Luhan Monat, May 27, 2005
  6. Netmask Guest

    IFOEdit will fix the problem

    Netmask, May 27, 2005
  7. On Fri, 27 May 2005 05:57:24 GMT, "Netmask"
    <> wrote:

    >IFOEdit will fix the problem
    ><> wrote in message
    >>I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    >> it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    >> stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    >> "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    >> converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    >> Image (.iso) please help!
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> kerry murphy

    To be precise, the mpeg is correctly encoded but is missing the flag
    to tell the player to treat it as 16:9. IfoEdit, or ripping and using
    ReStream, could add the 16:9 flag. Meanwhile the player could be set
    manually via the Menu to display as widescreen.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 27, 2005
  8. P Pron Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    || <> wrote in message
    ||| I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem
    ||| is, it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version
    ||| vertically stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will
    ||| allow me to "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will
    ||| have no problem converting video between formats as needed... it is
    ||| currently a DVD Image (.iso) please help!
    || The most effective method of fixing this problem is to stop buying
    || bootlegs.

    I _don't_ buy or download bootlegs, but have the same problem, and should be
    grateful for any *practical* suggestions. My stretched discs are the result
    of recording (for personal use) the output of a (UK) Freeview digital TV
    set-top box.

    It isn't a problem watching the discs on my main widesreen TV, but my study
    TV is 4:3, and doesn't have a 16:9 button.

    Can anyone help, please?

    tia

    paul
    P Pron, May 27, 2005
  9. Nonymous Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    > it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    > stretched.

    Sounds like somebody got his hands on the leaked Sith movie.
    Tsk tsk tsk.

    Whatever it is, you should be able to watch it correctly on your PC.
    Disable the 'keep aspect ratio' of PowerDVD or WinDVD or whatever you have
    and you can then stretch it so that it looks correct.
    Nonymous, May 27, 2005
  10. John Howells Guest

    "P Pron" <> wrote

    > I _don't_ buy or download bootlegs, but have the same problem, and should

    be
    > grateful for any *practical* suggestions. My stretched discs are the

    result
    > of recording (for personal use) the output of a (UK) Freeview digital TV
    > set-top box.
    >
    > It isn't a problem watching the discs on my main widesreen TV, but my

    study
    > TV is 4:3, and doesn't have a 16:9 button.
    >
    > Can anyone help, please?

    You'll need to rip the DVD to HD on a PC, use IFOEdit to set the 16:9 flag
    in the title concerned, then write the whole lot back to DVD. Now the title
    will be marked as anamorphic, so the player will do the same 16:9 -> 4:3
    conversion as it would for a commercial anamorphic DVD.

    John Howells
    John Howells, May 27, 2005
  11. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    > it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    > stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    > "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    > converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    > Image (.iso) please help!

    It's not vertically stretched. It's horizontally squeezed.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, May 27, 2005
  12. Guest

    wow. Thanks for all the help guys. really surprised someone was able to
    actually refer to the file I'm dealing w/.... why hasn't someone seeded
    a re-encoded version of sith w/ proper aspect?

    kerry
    , May 27, 2005
  13. RobMac Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    > it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    > stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    > "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    > converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    > Image (.iso) please help!
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > kerry murphy

    Hmmm....there's only one file circulating that I can think of now that's
    been making national headlines on every news channel for about a week now
    that has this problem....what could it be....Hmmm?

    It surprises me that you're asking this on an open forum like this...and
    also that you're not asking for a way to remove....shall we say...."extra
    subtitles" running across the top of the screen?

    With all the attention all over the news....you'd think people would be a
    little smarter....?
    RobMac, May 28, 2005
  14. Nonymous Guest

    "RobMac" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    >> it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    >> stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    >> "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    >> converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    >> Image (.iso) please help!
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> kerry murphy
    >>

    > Hmmm....there's only one file circulating that I can think of now that's
    > been making national headlines on every news channel for about a week now
    > that has this problem....what could it be....Hmmm?
    >
    > It surprises me that you're asking this on an open forum like this...and
    > also that you're not asking for a way to remove....shall we say...."extra
    > subtitles" running across the top of the screen?
    >
    > With all the attention all over the news....you'd think people would be a
    > little smarter....?

    You honestly think they going to come knocking on his door for downloading
    one movie? I think they have better things to do with their budget.
    They're going after the distributers (i.e., seed sites, etc.), not the
    downloaders.
    Nonymous, May 28, 2005
  15. RobMac Guest

    "Nonymous" <> wrote in message

    > "RobMac" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>>I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem is,
    >>> it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version vertically
    >>> stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will allow me to
    >>> "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will have no problem
    >>> converting video between formats as needed... it is currently a DVD
    >>> Image (.iso) please help!
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> kerry murphy
    >>>

    >> Hmmm....there's only one file circulating that I can think of now that's
    >> been making national headlines on every news channel for about a week now
    >> that has this problem....what could it be....Hmmm?
    >>
    >> It surprises me that you're asking this on an open forum like this...and
    >> also that you're not asking for a way to remove....shall we say...."extra
    >> subtitles" running across the top of the screen?
    >>
    >> With all the attention all over the news....you'd think people would be a
    >> little smarter....?

    > You honestly think they going to come knocking on his door for downloading
    > one movie? I think they have better things to do with their budget.
    > They're going after the distributers (i.e., seed sites, etc.), not the
    > downloaders.

    No, I don't think they'd go after individuals....but distributors as they're
    usually running the sites or out on the street corners, but when one person
    basically announces to the world on Usenet "I have ROTS", well, with Bush
    stripping our rights without a fight and Fox on the warpath, it just seems
    reckless to me, but hey, it's his life.
    RobMac, May 28, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    RobMac <> wrote:

    >"Nonymous" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "RobMac" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> Hmmm....there's only one file circulating that I can think of now that's
    >>> been making national headlines on every news channel for about a week now
    >>> that has this problem....what could it be....Hmmm?
    >>>
    >>> It surprises me that you're asking this on an open forum like this...and
    >>> also that you're not asking for a way to remove....shall we say...."extra
    >>> subtitles" running across the top of the screen?
    >>>
    >>> With all the attention all over the news....you'd think people would be a
    >>> little smarter....?

    >> You honestly think they going to come knocking on his door for downloading
    >> one movie? I think they have better things to do with their budget.
    >> They're going after the distributers (i.e., seed sites, etc.), not the
    >> downloaders.

    >No, I don't think they'd go after individuals....but
    >distributors as they're usually running the sites or out on the
    >street corners, but when one person basically announces to the
    >world on Usenet "I have ROTS", well, with Bush stripping our
    >rights without a fight and Fox on the warpath, it just seems
    >reckless to me, but hey, it's his life.

    When the Sony Betamax vs Disney case was file, there was ONE person
    they sued. It only takes one to go to court. Then if the decision
    goes the way the suit-bringer wish they have made an example, and
    will scare off some of the people doing it.

    It's similar to the way police crack down on prostitution. At one
    time they arrested the prostitutes. Now they arrest the johns and
    print their names, and the customers go away [in theory].

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, May 29, 2005
  17. ThePunisher Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 May 2005 05:57:24 GMT, "Netmask"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> IFOEdit will fix the problem
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> I recently acquired a DVD-Rip that is in fullscreen format. Problem
    >>> is, it is not really fullscreen, it is the widescreen version
    >>> vertically stretched. I can't deal w/ this. Any utils that will
    >>> allow me to "smash" this image back to 16:9?? I am savy and will
    >>> have no problem converting video between formats as needed... it is
    >>> currently a DVD Image (.iso) please help!
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> kerry murphy
    >>>

    > To be precise, the mpeg is correctly encoded but is missing the flag
    > to tell the player to treat it as 16:9. IfoEdit, or ripping and using
    > ReStream, could add the 16:9 flag. Meanwhile the player could be set
    > manually via the Menu to display as widescreen.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    Wrong.

    --
    ThePunisher
    Latitude: 54.67N
    ThePunisher, May 29, 2005
  18. Darkknight Guest

    Re: Dealing w/ a "Stretched" fullscreen image file... aspect ratioconversion?

    in answer to your question, (regardless of what the movie is)
    one program you could try is DivxToDVD by VSO-Software this is freeware
    and as yet still in beta stage, this has the ability to force the file
    to the correct aspect ratio

    Darkknight, May 29, 2005
  19. Guest

    Re: Dealing w/ a"Stretched" fullscreen image file... aspect ratio ...

    You should buy the legal stuff.

    I believe that I do have a solution to this, but you might not like it.

    Simply buy yourself one of the new (legal) widescreen tv sets, and hook
    your dvd player up to it. Set your dvd player to 16:9 mode and set your
    new widescreen tv to "full" mode.

    and I think that should solve the problem.
    , May 31, 2005
  20. Guest

    Re: Dealing w/ a"Stretched" fullscreen image file... aspect ratio ...

    I wasn't being sarcastic, either. although the other poster might have
    been.

    A widescreen tv set in "full" mode is the only way that I can think of
    to view such a disc if it wont work on a regular tv with your dvd player
    set to 4:3 mode.

    I don't know of any other way, but then again, several posters in the
    dvd newsgroups have basically called me "a dumb idiot" so there might be
    other ways.
    , May 31, 2005