Deal worthwhile... Telus offers Dell Notepad?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sakimaa@gmail.com, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello...

    Never used Google Groups before... so hopefully I've managed to come
    to the right place and ask a question concerning an offer my Internet
    provider as.

    Right now they offer this deal to Canadians about signing up for High
    Speed Internet for 3 years at 44.95$ / mon and they'll send you a Dell
    notepad. It's the DELL INSPIRON 1525.

    The Telus offer details:
    http://promo.telus.com/tm/08/q1/high_speed/easypc/index.html?ILC-cs070418HSE&link=easyPC_redirect

    The DELL Inspiron 1525 Review:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4175

    I'm not real brilliant when it comes down the hardware for computers.
    I know my ins and outs of software and whatnot but nothing more. Is
    this a pretty worthwhile deal? Would you take an offer like this?
    Does the computer sound half decent? I'm a person whose addicted to
    sites like Facebook, iGoogle, Pogo, LiveJournal and similar sites. I
    like to talk on messengers and rarely play many video games. Love
    watching movies and listening to music on my computer tho.

    Would this be a beneficial computer for a guy like me with the above
    interests?

    Thanks for any help folks :)

    , Mar 25, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello...
    >
    > Never used Google Groups before... so hopefully I've managed to come
    > to the right place and ask a question concerning an offer my Internet
    > provider as.
    >
    > Right now they offer this deal to Canadians about signing up for High
    > Speed Internet for 3 years at 44.95$ / mon and they'll send you a Dell
    > notepad. It's the DELL INSPIRON 1525.
    >
    > The Telus offer details:
    > http://promo.telus.com/tm/08/q1/high_speed/easypc/index.html?ILC-cs070418HSE&link=easyPC_redirect
    >
    > The DELL Inspiron 1525 Review:
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4175
    >
    > I'm not real brilliant when it comes down the hardware for computers.
    > I know my ins and outs of software and whatnot but nothing more. Is
    > this a pretty worthwhile deal? Would you take an offer like this?
    > Does the computer sound half decent? I'm a person whose addicted to
    > sites like Facebook, iGoogle, Pogo, LiveJournal and similar sites. I
    > like to talk on messengers and rarely play many video games. Love
    > watching movies and listening to music on my computer tho.
    >
    > Would this be a beneficial computer for a guy like me with the above
    > interests?
    >
    > Thanks for any help folks :)

    First of all, if this is ADSL, you should check your distance from the
    Central Office. The Telus plans are making assumptions about the distance
    you are located from the Central Office. The 256Kbit/sec plan, would work
    at a distance like up to 36000 feet. The 3Mbit/sec plan, would work
    at a distance up to 18000 feet. Or something like that. I don't have a figure
    for the 6Mbit/sec plan, whether the spec is tighter or not. Generally,
    on a telco website, you enter your phone number, and the web server
    figures out what service options are possible. This one is similar
    to the plan I have, but a bit cheaper (mine is 2.4Mbps).

    3Mbps/640Kbps download/upload ADSL, 60GB cap, at $36 per month.

    http://consumer.telus.com/portalWeb...h_Speed/Compare/High_Speed_Plans_and_Prices/?

    As a consumer, I don't do bundles. Imagine the following scenario. You get
    the juicy laptop, and something happens to it. Say the warranty is less than
    3 years - I could be locked into the ADSL plan, and have a broken laptop.
    Laptops are expensive to repair, and are like the Cadillac of computing.
    The $689 value, also has built into that, the potential for some
    maintenance cost. Batteries start to degrade, from the day you get them
    (and if purchasing replacements, you want some kind of proof they're
    fresh, and haven't been out of the factory for too long). While some
    problems are easy to repair (open a little door on the laptop and replace
    a part), other problems take an hour or two to disassemble the unit.
    A diagnosis might cost $100 to $200, with many symptoms needing
    "a motherboard replacement". That is the nature of a laptop.
    Even if never dropped, they're known to fail. A little tugging
    on the power cord, and the power jack breaks.

    The Notebookreview article reviews a unit with the upgrade options.
    You'd be getting the "base" configuration.

    http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/pro...inspnnb_1525?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

    Dual Core T2330 1.60GHz/FSB533 1MB cache
    Vista OS
    Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800) - lower res than Notebookreview article
    1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    - should be bumped to 2GB or 4GB to aid Vista operation (additional upgrade later)
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) - OK
    Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    - not for games, good enough otherwise, only driving 1280x800 after all
    28 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)

    The opinion in this post, is that the Vista performance is hijacked by the
    third party crapware installed by Dell. The crapware makers pay to have
    their crap included, which helps reduce the cost of the laptop. Removing
    the crapware, is what brings the performance back. But Vista, more than
    WinXP, benefits from memory, and a larger than 1GB total configuration
    will help. But the deal from Telus, won't offer an opportunity to
    change the configuration, so you'd adjust the memory size after
    you take delivery. You can play with it, and decide whether to
    upgrade it or not. (Always arrange to get any CD/DVD recovery
    disks or software disks from Dell, as some of the items are
    not shipped with the laptop. You'll need those, in the event
    that something happens later in the ownership cycle. Like
    when you want to reinstall the OS. That is the first detail
    to take care of, if the laptop is otherwise fully functional.)

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&thread.id=244355

    Stock SuperPI 1M is about 38 seconds on the T2330 processor. My P4 3GHz takes 45 to 50 seconds
    to do the same thing. So the processor is OK. SuperPI runs on one of two cores.
    I don't expect movie playback would be too hard for the thing, but I
    do see one comment about a DIVX movie not playing smoothly on a
    2GHz processor on the Dell forum. Whether that is the fault of
    the movie, the playback software, or the hardware, is unclear.

    http://www.hwbot.org/quickSearch.do?hardwareId=CPU_1495&name=Core T2330 (1.6Ghz) (67)

    I wasn't able to find a lot more useful info in the Dellcommunity, due to the
    "tagging" feature that gets in the way.

    I used "inspiron 1525" for domain "dellcommunity.com" at http://www.altavista.com/web/adv ,
    to find more posts about the Inspiron 1525, but so far nothing more relevant popped up.
    (It is probably easier for you to enter those terms into Altavista, than to
    paste this thing back together :) )

    http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&pg=aq&aqmode=s&aqa=inspiron 1525&
    aqp=&aqo=&aqn=&kgs=1&kls=0&dt=tmperiod&d2=0&dfr%5Bd%5D=1&dfr%5Bm%5D=1&
    dfr%5By%5D=1980&dto%5Bd%5D=25&dto%5Bm%5D=3&dto%5By%5D=2008&filetype=&rc=dmn&swd=dellcommunity.com&lh=&nbq=10

    I don't know a good way to guess at how movie playback will work out
    on a laptop. And that is why I was looking for reviewer comments.

    The main benefit of a laptop is portability. If your main usage will
    be static, seated in the den, then a desktop computer could also
    do the job. The nice thing about a desktop computer, is for me at least,
    it is easier to repair. And using a hardwired network connection
    to the ADSL modem, instead of the wireless, means guaranteed
    networking performance in the house.

    Download performance is a function of the Internet server you are
    accessing. On Sympatico, I get my full download rate, only on a few sites.
    I might see 1/3 rate a lot of the time. On a very few occasions,
    I've experienced transfer rates higher than my cap, but that
    didn't last (a misconfiguration at the telco I expect). I
    never get a good download rate when I need it most (like
    downloading a 700MB Linux distro).

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2008

  3. Bob Guest

    sakimaa wrote:

    > Hello...
    >
    > Never used Google Groups before... so hopefully I've managed to come to
    > the right place and ask a question concerning an offer my Internet
    > provider as.
    >
    > Right now they offer this deal to Canadians about signing up for High
    > Speed Internet for 3 years at 44.95$ / mon and they'll send you a Dell
    > notepad. It's the DELL INSPIRON 1525.
    >
    > The Telus offer details:
    > http://promo.telus.com/tm/08/q1/high_speed/easypc/index.html?ILC-cs070418HSE&link=easyPC_redirect
    >

    > The DELL Inspiron 1525 Review:
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4175

    The version Telus is offering is not the same as the Inspiron 1525 in the
    link you posted, however they do offer a wireless gateway as part of the
    deal.

    > Does the computer sound half decent? I'm a person whose addicted to
    > sites like Facebook, iGoogle, Pogo, LiveJournal and similar sites. I
    > like to talk on messengers and rarely play many video games. Love
    > watching movies and listening to music on my computer tho.
    >
    > Would this be a beneficial computer for a guy like me with the above
    > interests?

    If you don't mind being locked into a three year $1800 contract the laptop
    is fine for your listed requirements.

    Ask your friends and neighbours how they find Telus xDSL to be in your
    area.

    Bob, Mar 26, 2008