Dead USB drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John W, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. John W

    John W Guest

    Athlon64 Winxp sp3 2gb ram.

    I pulled this 8gb Rundisk before I should have and now :

    Comp acknowledges plug in and calls it 'K' drive. I doubleclick K

    Menu pop up "The disk in drive K is not formatted"
    "Do you want to format it now" I select Yes

    Menu pop up "The disk in drive K cannot be formatted"

    Device manager says drive is working properly.

    Properties/tools shows all space blue/used but 0 bytes 0 bytes
    and file system as raw.

    Computer won't reboot while USB drive is plugged in. Just stops after
    the first couple of lines until I pull it out and then it carries on normally.

    I've tried EasyRecovery Pro with no joy, Spinrite just would'nt work
    with it :) and I did'nt find much help on google except others with the
    same problem so I'm here. I see on Pricespy I can get another one for
    just $22 so this is more of a learning exercise.
    John W, Dec 7, 2008

  2. On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:39:52 +1300, "John W" <>
    wrote:

    >Athlon64 Winxp sp3 2gb ram.
    >
    >I pulled this 8gb Rundisk before I should have and now :
    >
    >Comp acknowledges plug in and calls it 'K' drive. I doubleclick K
    >
    >Menu pop up "The disk in drive K is not formatted"
    > "Do you want to format it now" I select Yes
    >
    >Menu pop up "The disk in drive K cannot be formatted"
    >
    >Device manager says drive is working properly.
    >
    >Properties/tools shows all space blue/used but 0 bytes 0 bytes
    >and file system as raw.
    >
    >Computer won't reboot while USB drive is plugged in. Just stops after
    >the first couple of lines until I pull it out and then it carries on normally.
    >
    >I've tried EasyRecovery Pro with no joy, Spinrite just would'nt work
    >with it :) and I did'nt find much help on google except others with the
    >same problem so I'm here. I see on Pricespy I can get another one for
    >just $22 so this is more of a learning exercise.

    If you have a tool that can access and edit raw disk sectors, I would
    try that and overwrite the first few sectors with zeros. Then try
    formatting it again.
    Stephen Worthington, Dec 7, 2008

  3. John W

    Richard Guest

    John W wrote:
    > Athlon64 Winxp sp3 2gb ram.
    >
    > I pulled this 8gb Rundisk before I should have and now :
    >
    > Comp acknowledges plug in and calls it 'K' drive. I doubleclick K
    >
    > Menu pop up "The disk in drive K is not formatted"
    > "Do you want to format it now" I select Yes
    >
    > Menu pop up "The disk in drive K cannot be formatted"
    >
    > Device manager says drive is working properly.
    >
    > Properties/tools shows all space blue/used but 0 bytes 0 bytes and
    > file system as raw.
    >
    > Computer won't reboot while USB drive is plugged in. Just stops after
    > the first couple of lines until I pull it out and then it carries on
    > normally.
    >
    > I've tried EasyRecovery Pro with no joy, Spinrite just would'nt work
    > with it :) and I did'nt find much help on google except others with
    > the same problem so I'm here. I see on Pricespy I can get another one
    > for just $22 so this is more of a learning exercise.

    Bin it, its a rundisk after all...
    Richard, Dec 7, 2008
  4. John W wrote:

    > I see on Pricespy I can get another one for just $22 so this is more of a
    > learning exercise.

    If you want to learn, try messing about with it on a Linux system, where you have a range of tools like dd, badblocks etc which let you try things (including dangerous things!) at a low level.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 13, 2008
  5. John W

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:17:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >John W wrote:
    >
    >> I see on Pricespy I can get another one for just $22 so this is more of a
    >> learning exercise.

    >If you want to learn, try messing about with it on a Linux system, where you have a range of tools like dd, badblocks etc which let you try things (including dangerous things!) at a low level.

    Please set your posting length as that is the Usenet regiments.
    Peter M, Dec 13, 2008
  6. John W

    <_zealand> wrote:

    >John W wrote:
    >
    >> I see on Pricespy I can get another one for just $22 so this is more of a
    >> learning exercise.

    >If you want to learn, try messing about with it on a Linux system, where you have a range of tools like dd, badblocks etc which let you try things (including dangerous things!) at a low level.

    Please set your posting length as that is the Usenet requirements.

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
    Peter M, Dec 14, 2008
  7. Peter M wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:17:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> John W wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see on Pricespy I can get another one for just $22 so this is more of a
    >>> learning exercise.

    >> If you want to learn, try messing about with it on a Linux system, where you have a range of tools like dd, badblocks etc which let you try things (including dangerous things!) at a low level.
    > >

    > Please set your posting length as that is the Usenet requirements.
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    Please install a newsreader capable of dealing with it...
    Southern Kiwi, Dec 14, 2008