    return the camera for a new one, or is this just the nature of the
    beast and all digital cameras have them?

    , Feb 7, 2008

  2. Guest

    If you feel so bad,by seen bright spots. Of course, you have to change
    new one.
    but, bright pot is not bad. RED spot called "dead pixel" and It's
    Really dead.
    And, Unhappinessly It occurred some one, not all.

    , Feb 7, 2008

  3. stuseven Guest

    On Feb 6, 11:19 pm, wrote:
    > I've had my Nikon D40x for about a month and a half now and already
    > I've noticed dead pixels in the images.  I have two bright spots that
    > show up in the same spot in every picture.  Granted, on a 10 megapixel
    > camera, those spots are pretty small, but they're there.  Should I
    > return the camera for a new one, or is this just the nature of the
    > beast and all digital cameras have them?

    so far as I've read, there are no digitals without dead pixels... the
    pricier
    the camera, the fewer of these you should expect. Ive also read that
    chips are sold... among manufacturers... somewhat like diamonds...
    they are inspected, the best are sold to the pricey brand names, the
    imperfects are sold to the el-cheapo brands... the chips ready for the
    trash bin are sold to... well... I wont mention names here ? :)
    In all seriousness, I dont think it's possible to mass produce a chip
    without -any- defective pixels.
    The good news is... since, as you state, the bad pixels always show
    up in the same spot... you can prepare a mask and manually process
    these spots away.
    This is the advice I got after boldly announcing my used HP was
    picking up dozens of "uncharted stars" in night photos :--)

    stuseven, Feb 7, 2008
  4. John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:32:47 -0800 (PST), stuseven <>
    wrote in
    <>:

    >On Feb 6, 11:19 pm, wrote:
    >> I've had my Nikon D40x for about a month and a half now and already
    >> I've noticed dead pixels in the images.  I have two bright spots that
    >> show up in the same spot in every picture.  Granted, on a 10 megapixel
    >> camera, those spots are pretty small, but they're there.  Should I
    >> return the camera for a new one, or is this just the nature of the
    >> beast and all digital cameras have them?

    >so far as I've read, there are no digitals without dead pixels... the
    >pricier
    >the camera, the fewer of these you should expect. Ive also read that
    >chips are sold... among manufacturers... somewhat like diamonds...
    >they are inspected, the best are sold to the pricey brand names, the
    >imperfects are sold to the el-cheapo brands... the chips ready for the
    >trash bin are sold to... well... I wont mention names here ? :)
    >In all seriousness, I dont think it's possible to mass produce a chip
    >without -any- defective pixels.
    >The good news is... since, as you state, the bad pixels always show
    >up in the same spot... you can prepare a mask and manually process
    >these spots away.
    >This is the advice I got after boldly announcing my used HP was
    >picking up dozens of "uncharted stars" in night photos :--)

    Many cameras have the ability to map out bad pixels, automatically
    interpolating the missing value from adjacent pixels.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 7, 2008
  5. Guest

    >RED spot called "dead pixel" and It's Really dead.<

    Hmmm. My dead spots are blue.

    >so far as I've read, there are no digitals without dead pixels...<

    Well that's disappointing. I had a $300 Fujifilm that eventually got
    a few dead pixels after about three years, but to have dead pixels in
    an $800 camera a month after taking it out of the box, I just wonder
    if I'll wind up with many dead pixels before long.

    >Many cameras have the ability to map out bad pixels, automatically interpolating the missing value from adjacent pixels.<

    Interesting. I don't recall that in the D40x manual, so that's
    probably not a feature for me.

    , Feb 9, 2008