    devices.

    Any ideas please.

    Thanks in advance.

    John Smith, Sep 30, 2005

  2. John Smith

    Rider Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Tragedy. One day my pc just wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even boot to BIOS.
    > Odd was that 1 0f 2 CD drives would not work. When I unplugged CD's from
    > mobo it did work.
    > All perpherals unplugged and this is what still happens.
    > Machine powers up, all fans good. powes to drives good. Power led on front
    > lit also drive led. Drive led remains lit regardless of any IDE or SATA
    > devices.
    >
    > Any ideas please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Unplug/detach everything from PC except CPU, RAM, PSU and Power Switch
    connector (video card if it hasnt got onboard video) ... see if it boots. If
    it does, start adding things until it faults again.

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 30, 2005

  3. John Smith wrote:
    > Tragedy. One day my pc just wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even boot to BIOS.
    > Odd was that 1 0f 2 CD drives would not work. When I unplugged CD's from
    > mobo it did work.
    > All perpherals unplugged and this is what still happens.
    > Machine powers up, all fans good. powes to drives good. Power led on front
    > lit also drive led. Drive led remains lit regardless of any IDE or SATA
    > devices.

    IDE cable in backwards

    Mark Robinson, Sep 30, 2005
  4. John Smith

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Tragedy. One day my pc just wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even boot to BIOS.
    > Odd was that 1 0f 2 CD drives would not work. When I unplugged CD's
    > from mobo it did work.
    > All perpherals unplugged and this is what still happens.
    > Machine powers up, all fans good. powes to drives good. Power led on
    > front lit also drive led. Drive led remains lit regardless of any IDE
    > or SATA devices.

    You don't mention the age or socket type of the mobo but I've been noticing
    an increasing trend from IDE controllers to crap out in some of the ~5 year
    old socket 370 boards. A PCI / IDE card has fixed one here, ($44, DSE) set
    to boot from SCSI in BIOS.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2005
  5. John Smith

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:39:32 +1200, John Smith wrote:

    > Tragedy. One day my pc just wouldn't boot. Wouldn't even boot to BIOS.
    > Odd was that 1 0f 2 CD drives would not work. When I unplugged CD's from
    > mobo it did work.
    > All perpherals unplugged and this is what still happens.
    > Machine powers up, all fans good. powes to drives good. Power led on front
    > lit also drive led. Drive led remains lit regardless of any IDE or SATA
    > devices.
    >
    > Any ideas please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Can be a power supply fault.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #120296 +(4404)- [X]

    <link>once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary,
    over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i
    clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart
    was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not
    possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the
    server, 404.
    <hokage> *cries*, scary....

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/09/2005 9:04:22 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 30, 2005
  6. John Smith

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I recently had symptoms like this (or at least a PC did). After doing
    all the usual things I changed the battery and it has worked ever since.
    I guess some kind of battery/bios bug.

    Bob McLellan, Sep 30, 2005