    PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.
    Dave, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Dave wrote:
    > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    You didn't mention if you hear any fans or drives spinning.

    But if it's completely dead, I usually go through the components in the
    case, removing them one at a time and trying to start it up. First the
    drives, one at a time unplug the cables going to them. Then the
    expansion cards, take them out one at a time. Then the memory, last the
    video (you sure as hell won't get anything on the monitor then, but it
    should spin up the fans and beep some if that was the problem). If you
    get down to just the power supply, the motherboard and processor, it
    gets trickier without replacement parts to test with.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Dave

    ded Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
    loads Windows?
    Or
    Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
    onscreen?
    ded, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Jul 1, 6:23 am, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    > > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    > > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    > > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    > Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
    > loads Windows?
    > Or
    > Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
    > onscreen?

    PC powers on but nothing displays on screen. Also doesn't appear to do
    POST (no lights on keyboard flashing on and off).
    Dave, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Dave

    GHalleck Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > On Jul 1, 6:23 am, "ded" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Dave" <> wrote in message

    >>>What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    >>>PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    >>>on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    >>>HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    >>Do you mean it just displays the XP flash screen and then rapidly
    >>loads Windows?
    >>Or
    >>Do you mean that the PC obviously powers on but nothing displays
    >>onscreen?

    > PC powers on but nothing displays on screen. Also doesn't appear to do
    > POST (no lights on keyboard flashing on and off).

    Have you opened the computer case and verified that all of the components
    are there, esp. the CPU, RAM and video card, and that they are properly
    seated? Is the video card functioning? IOW, what is the history of this
    particular desktop, such as when was it last known to be working? And
    was anything done to it since that time?
    GHalleck, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Dave

    Guest

    Dave <> wrote:

    >What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    >PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    >on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    >HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    New monitor, check monitor cable, change video cards.

    --

    What happened before the Big Bang?
    http://tinyurl.com/2brkrj
  7. Dave

    Plato Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    Common reason one has a bad poewer supply.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 3, 2007
  8. Dave

    ProfGene Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > What would be the preferred way to troubleshoot a desktop Windows XP
    > PC that didn't show any evidence of going through the POST when turned
    > on? I.e., the keyboard lights to turn on/off, and the screen showing
    > HD types, BIOS version, etc., doesn't even come up.

    There is no way to know what might be causing such a problem. It could
    be the processor is no good or the motherboard died. These days a new
    motherboard and processor are not that expensive but it depends on how
    good a system you want it to be. I am assuming the power supply is working.
    ProfGene, Jul 30, 2007