    would imagine that a fault on one of the boards would have caused error
    beeps, but there's nothing. You think the power supply is bad? It is an
    Echo-Star and I had it installed only 5 days. Chinese garbage I presume.
    Ernie Werbel, Jul 27, 2006

  2. Ernie Werbel

    RjK Guest

    It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
    computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.
    RjK, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    RjK wrote in message <>...
    >It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
    >computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.

    I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
    Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
    the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
    Any suggestions?
    Ernie Werbel, Jul 28, 2006
  4. Ernie Werbel

    Anon Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:

    > I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
    > Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
    > the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
    > Any suggestions?

    Maybe your computer is too old. Why do you still use Windows 3.1?
    Anon, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Ernie Werbel

    Bob Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > RjK wrote in message <>...
    > >It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
    > >computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.

    > I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
    > Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
    > the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
    > Any suggestions?

    Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
    loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
    freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
    but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
    and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
    I HATE microsoft software!!!

    Bob
    Bob, Jul 29, 2006
  6. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Anon wrote in message <>...

    >Maybe your computer is too old. Why do you still use Windows 3.1?

    The computer I am building is a Pentium D 2.8 gigacycles per second using
    new parts. 3.1 is great because before you even blink, it has loaded
    everything. XP takes minutes just to load. Besides, I mainly use the
    computer for typing school reports, for which Word 6.0 for Windows suits me
    just fine. After all, how sophisticated of a typing program does one need?
    Ernie Werbel, Jul 29, 2006
  7. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Bob wrote in message
    <>...

    >Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
    >loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
    >freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
    >but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
    >and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
    >I HATE microsoft software!!!
    >
    >Bob

    Hey, Bob. I like Microsoft (well anything for 3.1 and older), but I don't
    like the new stuff. The hardware is giving me trouble as well. IDE was
    going fine with no problems, now these SATA connectors are bad. I ended up
    last night taking it to CompUSA to let them deal with it. $100 would be
    worth it if it garuntees everything will be working. I should hope to hear
    from them sometime next week.

    It just seems like the manufacturers blatently change things for little more
    reason than the sake of change. I mean, IDE was going fine for about 20
    years (to my knowledge, maybe older?) but no, that's not cool enough anymore
    so they make entirely new equipment.

    What I don't like about the newer operating systems is that they force
    computer upgrades with each iteration. Go from 3.1 to 95 and I needed 128MB
    of RAM. Go up to ME and I needed to up it to 512. Since getting XP (on
    another machine) I have maxxed it to 1GB of RAM and it still runs slow. I
    should think that newer operating systems would incorporate more efficient
    code that would make better use of the memory that is there but that does
    not seem to be the case at all.

    I wish you the best of luck in your situation! Please let me know how it
    turns out as well.

    Ernie
    Ernie Werbel, Jul 29, 2006
  8. Ernie Werbel

    Bob Guest

    Ernie Werbel wrote:
    > Bob wrote in message
    > <>...
    >
    > >Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
    > >loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
    > >freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
    > >but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
    > >and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
    > >I HATE microsoft software!!!
    > >
    > >Bob

    > Hey, Bob. I like Microsoft (well anything for 3.1 and older), but I don't
    > like the new stuff. The hardware is giving me trouble as well. IDE was
    > going fine with no problems, now these SATA connectors are bad. I ended up
    > last night taking it to CompUSA to let them deal with it. $100 would be
    > worth it if it garuntees everything will be working. I should hope to hear
    > from them sometime next week.
    >
    > It just seems like the manufacturers blatently change things for little more
    > reason than the sake of change. I mean, IDE was going fine for about 20
    > years (to my knowledge, maybe older?) but no, that's not cool enough anymore
    > so they make entirely new equipment.
    >
    > What I don't like about the newer operating systems is that they force
    > computer upgrades with each iteration. Go from 3.1 to 95 and I needed 128MB
    > of RAM. Go up to ME and I needed to up it to 512. Since getting XP (on
    > another machine) I have maxxed it to 1GB of RAM and it still runs slow. I
    > should think that newer operating systems would incorporate more efficient
    > code that would make better use of the memory that is there but that does
    > not seem to be the case at all.
    >
    > I wish you the best of luck in your situation! Please let me know how it
    > turns out as well.
    >
    > Ernie

    Hey Ernie,

    I got mine working - almost. It was hanging during the XP initial
    bootup. I ran it in safe mode (pressing f8 during bootup) and it
    stepped thru the boot sequence to the point of checking drivers, but
    wouldn't tell me which one was bad. In a big book of XP Secrets there
    was an obscure note to the effect if drivers were the suspect, don't
    forget to turn off the USB driver in the BIOS. Sure enough, that was
    the bad one. So now I've got XP up & running, but don't have any USB
    functions. I will download the latest USB driver from the chipset
    manufacturer & hope that gets me all the way up.
    Good luck on yours.
    Bob
    Bob, Jul 31, 2006