    so - have I fried the CPU - would this stop the fans etc. from working? - or
    is it the PSU?

    (sorry I don't have the exact specs - its an AMD chip)
    Shweeney, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Shweeney

    lee Guest

    *Try clearing your cmos chip first of all.
    Locate the jumper normally next to the cmos battery
    Make sure you disconnect the ATX power lead from the mainboard
    and remove the AC power cord from your pc when closing the circuit.

    If you still dont get a signal /check all cables and hardware are seated
    correctly.

    lee, Aug 20, 2003

  3. On high end procesors you can fry them in only a few seconds without the
    massive heat sink in place. Then if you put it back on crooked (not flush
    all the way around) it will fry the chip is seconds. That's why they make
    shims.

    "Shweeney" <> wrote in message
    > i was installing a ethernet card in my PC last night. While I had the box
    > open I decided to investigate why it was so damn noisy (it was built by a
    > friend) and took the fan off the CPU.
    >
    > I only had it on without the fan for 10 secs max. I then put everything
    > back in place and switched it on. It came on for a second and then died.
    > It now won't start at all - the fans don't come on, the hard drives don't
    > spin, no beeps, nothing. Its like a big paperweight! The only thing that
    > works is the power-indicator LED on the motherboard.
    >
    > so - have I fried the CPU - would this stop the fans etc. from working? -

    or
    > is it the PSU?
    >
    > (sorry I don't have the exact specs - its an AMD chip)

    ---
    BananaPannaPoe, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Shweeney

    Mr. Smiley Guest

    My silly question: you have turned the pwr [ all pwr ] off for at least
    1min?

    --
    the abominable toner

    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

    Mr. Smiley, Aug 20, 2003
  5. Shweeney

    Eddie Grant Guest

    "BananaPannaPoe" <> wrote in message
    > On high end procesors you can fry them in only a few seconds without the
    > massive heat sink in place. Then if you put it back on crooked (not flush

    I know that now, but when I went to build a 1.3GHz system for someone the
    guy at PCWorld told me I could run it for about 5-10min without a heatsink
    or fan!!
    Eddie Grant, Aug 20, 2003
  6. Shweeney

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Shweeney" <> wrote in message
    > i was installing a ethernet card in my PC last night. While I had the box
    > open I decided to investigate why it was so damn noisy (it was built by a
    > friend) and took the fan off the CPU.
    >
    > I only had it on without the fan for 10 secs max. I then put everything
    > back in place and switched it on. It came on for a second and then died.
    > It now won't start at all - the fans don't come on, the hard drives don't
    > spin, no beeps, nothing. Its like a big paperweight! The only thing that
    > works is the power-indicator LED on the motherboard.
    >
    > so - have I fried the CPU - would this stop the fans etc. from working? -

    or
    > is it the PSU?
    >
    > (sorry I don't have the exact specs - its an AMD chip)

    Is the new ethernet card dragging the PSU down ?

    If the CPU is stopping the PSU firing up remove it & retest , at least you
    should get a POST bleep

    Regards
    Cubzilla, Aug 20, 2003
  7. Shweeney

    Cuanto Guest

    Also check and make sure that you didn't unseat the processor somehow during
    the removal of the fan. You mentioned AMD chip but not what kind- something
    similar happened to me with a slot 1 jobber. Just a thought..

    Cuanto, Aug 20, 2003