    The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now dead.
    No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    R.I.P.

    dullpain, Mar 18, 2008

  2. dullpain

    Jim Townsend Guest

    dullpain wrote:

    > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now dead.
    > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.

    The spam is easy to filter... You just have to realize where the spam is coming
    from and get a newsreader capable of filtering it.

    Just eliminate all posts from google.groups (99% of the spam comes from there).
    I set my news reader to reject messages when the message ID contains 'Google'.

    I no longer see any spam.

    Jim Townsend, Mar 18, 2008

  3. dullpain

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "dullpain" <> wrote in message
    > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    > dead.
    > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    > R.I.P.

    What was it Mark Twain once said? "The news of my death was somewhat
    premature"?

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 18, 2008
  4. dullpain

    Robert Barr Guest

    dullpain wrote:
    > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now dead.
    > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    > R.I.P.

    http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

    Works great for me. I get very close to ZERO B.S. now.

    Robert Barr, Mar 18, 2008
  5. dullpain wrote:

    > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    > dead. No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud. R.I.P.

    I read this group every day, and I see no spam. You just need a feed
    that's well filtered *and* you have to filter out Google Groups posting.
    For the latter, see my sig.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Robert Barr wrote:

    > dullpain wrote:
    >> The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    >> dead. No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud. R.I.P.
    >>

    > http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
    >
    > Works great for me. I get very close to ZERO B.S. now.

    Happy to see you enjoying a better Usenet, Robert. And for trying
    to help others to do the same.

    Regards.

    --
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2008
  7. On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:15:37 -0700, "dullpain" <>
    wrote:

    >The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now dead.
    >No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    >R.I.P.

    It is your choice of service and newsreader that is failing to remove
    or filter the spam.

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Mar 18, 2008
  8. dullpain

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:46:15 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > dullpain wrote:
    >
    >> The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    >> dead. No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud. R.I.P.

    > I read this group every day, and I see no spam. You just need a feed
    > that's well filtered *and* you have to filter out Google Groups posting.
    > For the latter, see my sig.

    I just did some casting about for a better newsreader, thanks to the
    Usenet Improvement Project.

    Slrn was a blast from the bad old days. Curses??? Not if I can help
    it.

    Tin was unusable.

    Xnews appears to not be available for Fedora in compiled form. I used
    it a looong time ago on Suns and remember it being OK.

    Pan is OK. It's quick, fairly intuitive to use, and filtering on
    "googlegroups" does wonders. I think I'll stay with it for a while.
    I can live with rec.photo.digital if all I see is the usual kooks. :)

    Thanks for the tips.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Mar 19, 2008
  9. Paul Allen wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:46:15 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> dullpain wrote:
    >>
    >>> The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    >>> dead. No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud. R.I.P.

    >> I read this group every day, and I see no spam. You just need a feed
    >> that's well filtered *and* you have to filter out Google Groups posting.
    >> For the latter, see my sig.

    > I just did some casting about for a better newsreader, thanks to the
    > Usenet Improvement Project.

    I see you're using Pan. So am I. But not this new total rewrite
    (in C++, I think; I can't remember what the old one was written in) that
    you have. As far as I know, it's lost some features that the old one has,
    that haven't yet been written into the all-new version.

    > Slrn was a blast from the bad old days. Curses??? Not if I can help
    > it.

    Until it developed a couple of problems recently, in the pre-release
    versions I was trying, it was my primary news client for years. I still
    get mail from the slrn mafia. :)

    > Tin was unusable.

    It doesn't work very well for the way I like to do news. Extremely
    flexible - other than that one problem I had with it - though. Kind of
    like slrn that way.

    > Xnews appears to not be available for Fedora in compiled form. I used
    > it a looong time ago on Suns and remember it being OK.

    It's a Windows app. You'd have to run it under wine. Some people do
    that; others have had issues with the combination. Luu's pretty much
    abandoned it and won't open the source, so while it's my favorite client
    for Windows it's not going anywhere...like porting to any other OS.

    > Pan is OK. It's quick, fairly intuitive to use, and filtering on
    > "googlegroups" does wonders. I think I'll stay with it for a while. I
    > can live with rec.photo.digital if all I see is the usual kooks. :)

    Filtering Google Groups is boss. :)

    > Thanks for the tips.

    My pleasure, Paul. Glad I could directly or indirectly be of service.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 19, 2008
  10. dullpain

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <TMSDj.4523$>,
    "dullpain" <> wrote:

    > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now dead.
    > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    > R.I.P.

    Nonsense. If you filter out all postings with a message-id of
    googlegroups, most of the spam will go away.

    Shawn Hirn, Mar 19, 2008
  11. Paul Allen wrote:

    > Tin was unusable.

    Its replacement, BLOCK-TIN, is worlds better and works on all platforms of
    *nix.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 19, 2008
  12. dullpain

    John Turco Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > "dullpain" <> wrote in message
    > > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    > > dead.
    > > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    > > R.I.P.
    > >

    > What was it Mark Twain once said? "The news of my death was somewhat
    > premature"?

    Hello, Dudley:

    To be absolutely precise: "The reports of my death have been greatly
    exaggerated."

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 21, 2008
  13. dullpain

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>
    >> "dullpain" <> wrote in message
    >> > The ratio of spammers to real posts is such that this newsgroup is now
    >> > dead.
    >> > No amount of filtering can eliminate the krud.
    >> > R.I.P.
    >> >

    >> What was it Mark Twain once said? "The news of my death was somewhat
    >> premature"?

    > Hello, Dudley:
    >
    > To be absolutely precise: "The reports of my death have been greatly
    > exaggerated."
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    That's the one.