Dead Mormons oppose breaking up Microsoft

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tester, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Tester

    Tester Guest

    This is an old story, apparently, but it showed up as a clue on the
    American quiz show Jeopardy tonight and I hadn't heard it before.

    The Mormon Church converts the dead and, the Chicago Democratic
    machine has, in days of yore, gotten them to register and vote, not
    infrequently more than once.

    http://seclists.org/politech/2001/Aug/0086.html
    (from a dead L.A. Times web page)

    Lobbyists Tied to Microsoft Wrote Citizens' Letters
    August 23, 2001
    By JOSEPH MENN and EDMUND SANDERS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
    JOSEPH MENN and EDMUND SANDERS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS

    Letters purportedly written by at least two dead people landed on the
    desk of Utah Atty. Gen. Mark Shurtleff earlier this year, imploring
    him to go easy on Microsoft Corp. for its conduct as a monopoly. The
    pleas, along with about 400 others from Utah citizens, are part of a
    carefully orchestrated nationwide campaign to create the impression of
    a surging grass-roots movement. But it may be backfiring.
    Tester, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Tester

    who'sthat Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:38:52 GMT, Tester <> wrote:

    >This is an old story, apparently, but it showed up as a clue on the
    >American quiz show Jeopardy tonight and I hadn't heard it before.
    >
    >The Mormon Church converts the dead and, the Chicago Democratic
    >machine has, in days of yore, gotten them to register and vote, not
    >infrequently more than once.
    >
    >http://seclists.org/politech/2001/Aug/0086.html
    >(from a dead L.A. Times web page)
    >
    >Lobbyists Tied to Microsoft Wrote Citizens' Letters
    >August 23, 2001
    >By JOSEPH MENN and EDMUND SANDERS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
    >JOSEPH MENN and EDMUND SANDERS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
    >
    >Letters purportedly written by at least two dead people landed on the
    >desk of Utah Atty. Gen. Mark Shurtleff earlier this year, imploring
    >him to go easy on Microsoft Corp. for its conduct as a monopoly. The
    >pleas, along with about 400 others from Utah citizens, are part of a
    >carefully orchestrated nationwide campaign to create the impression of
    >a surging grass-roots movement. But it may be backfiring.

    About as silly as
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/09/20/ap4141746.html

    LINCOLN, Neb. - God has apparently responded to a lawsuit filed by a
    Nebraska lawmaker, and one of the filings seems to have dropped in
    from the heavens. "This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It
    just all of a sudden was here - poof!" said John Friend, clerk of the
    Douglas County District Court in Omaha.

    The response was one of at least two to a lawsuit filed against God
    last week by state Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha, the state's
    longest-serving lawmaker.

    Signed by "God," the response filed Wednesday argues the defendant is
    immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction over
    God.

    Blaming the Almighty for human oppression and suffering misses an
    important point, it says.

    "I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of
    immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you," according to the
    response, as read by Friend.

    St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness, Friend said.

    Another response - also signed God - says the Lord disputes Chambers'
    allegations.

    That filing lists a phone number for a Corpus Christi law office. A
    message left for that office was not immediately returned Thursday.

    Chambers could not be reached Thursday to comment on the response. He
    said in his five-page lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats
    against him and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread
    death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the
    Earth's inhabitants."

    He's seeking a permanent injunction against God.

    The self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians said his
    filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit against a judge, filed by a
    woman who was barred from saying "rape," "victim" and other words in
    court.

    Chambers said the woman's lawsuit is inappropriate because the
    Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal
    courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

    Chambers said his lawsuit is serious but also makes a point: Anybody
    can sue anybody.

    "This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It just all of a
    sudden was here - poof!" said John Friend, clerk of the Douglas County
    District Court in Omaha.

    Someone should lock this nut up
    who'sthat, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Tester

    VanguardLH Guest

    "who'sthat" <> wrote in message

    > LINCOLN, Neb. - God has apparently responded to a lawsuit filed by a
    > Nebraska lawmaker, ...
    > The response was one of at least two to a lawsuit filed against God
    > last week by state Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha, the state's
    > longest-serving lawmaker.

    While there is a requirement for minimal age to be an elected
    official, too bad there isn't a maximum age requirement to keep the
    senile out of office or other mental safety requirements. Ernie is
    70. Guess Alzheimer's is getting the best of him.
    VanguardLH, Sep 26, 2007