Dead Media

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger Nickel, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Roger Nickel

    Roger Nickel Guest

    Food for thought from Bruce Sterling.

    ".....Now as you might guess, my own technological studies have led me
    to a rather different conclusion. My idea of technological development
    is not this Hegelian march toward the sunlit uplands of historical
    determinism. That's because I actually know some engineers personally.
    And I consider technologists to be those peculiar, vaguely congenial
    people who buy and read my fantasies. So given these facts on the
    ground, I consider technology to be a fertile, squalid orgy of invention
    and caprice that is always teetering on the edge of chaos. I may be a
    futurist, but I write what I see, dear people. And the past is this
    place - it is this very place at a different time.

    Every historian is an imaginative author, engaged in an act of
    retro-diction. When it comes to media palaeontology, I favour the ideas
    of biological evolution developed by Stephen Jay Gould. Now, according
    to Gould's ideas of punctuated equilibrium, our current moment in
    evolutionary history was never any matter of destiny. In Gould's idea of
    nature, there is no teleology, no divine single guiding force to
    development. Nature is not destiny. There is no predetermined, so-called
    "natural" way of life. The idea of the "natural" is severely under
    question....."

    http://www.horizonzero.ca/textsite/ghost.php?is=18&file=4&tlang=0
    Roger Nickel, Nov 29, 2004