Dead Mac - help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by shaunism, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. shaunism

    shaunism Guest

    I think my Mac is dead - help! It was frozen, so I held down the
    power button to reboot. Now when I try to start it up again I just
    get a grey screen with a flashing folder with a question mark in it.

    So I put in the install CD and held down C for the Disk Utility. When
    I go into Disk Utility and then First Aid, when I choose my hard drive
    the only option I can click on is Verify Disk Permissions - Repair
    Disk is greyed out. Then when I click on Verify Disk Permissions it
    says:

    "First Aid failed

    Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on "Mac OS X Install Disk
    1" because the following error was encountered:

    No valid packages"

    And this is despite me having the hard drive highlighted (not the
    install disk) in the menu.

    Any thoughts?

    Cheers,
    Shaun
    shaunism, Mar 4, 2008

  2. shaunism

    Gazwad Guest

    shaunism <>, the shabby-old-fart and limp-wristed
    arse-master who likes demented rhubarb rubbing with walruses, and whose
    partner is a hurry-whore with a soggy pootnanny, wrote in
    <>:
    >I think my Mac is dead - help! It was frozen, so I held down the
    > power button to reboot. Now when I try to start it up again I just
    > get a grey screen with a flashing folder with a question mark in it.
    >
    > So I put in the install CD and held down C for the Disk Utility. When
    > I go into Disk Utility and then First Aid, when I choose my hard drive
    > the only option I can click on is Verify Disk Permissions - Repair
    > Disk is greyed out. Then when I click on Verify Disk Permissions it
    > says:
    >
    > "First Aid failed
    >
    > Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on "Mac OS X Install Disk
    > 1" because the following error was encountered:
    >
    > No valid packages"
    >
    > And this is despite me having the hard drive highlighted (not the
    > install disk) in the menu.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Shaun

    Remove the hard drive and test it in a proper computer. It appears the drive
    is rooted.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Gazwad, Mar 4, 2008

  3. > I think my Mac is dead - help! It was frozen, so I held down the
    > power button to reboot. Now when I try to start it up again I just
    > get a grey screen with a flashing folder with a question mark in it.

    The hard disc with the OS X system partition has probably failed.

    > So I put in the install CD and held down C for the Disk Utility. When
    > I go into Disk Utility and then First Aid, when I choose my hard drive
    > the only option I can click on is Verify Disk Permissions - Repair
    > Disk is greyed out.

    The Verify Disk and Repair Disk buttons are normally greyed-out until
    you select a volume on the disc. If there is no volume listed, it means
    that OS X is not compatible with it, the volume has been corrupted, or
    no volume exists on that disc.

    > Then when I click on Verify Disk Permissions it says:
    >
    > Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on "Mac OS X Install Disk
    > 1" because the following error was encountered:
    >
    > No valid packages"

    That indicates that Disk Utility cannot find the OS X system files.

    I recommend reinstalling OS X onto a new hard disc. It is possible that
    your current system disc is bad. Do not rely on that disc anymore.
    Check your warranty label on that hard disc, too. It may still be under
    warranty and you can get a replacement from the manufacturer. I hope
    that you backed up any important data on that disc.
    Alexander Rogge, Mar 6, 2008