    Right well, basically, the charger for my laptop has died, it's blown up or something, but I'm getting a new computer next month so I don't want to buy a new one that costs £50 (can you believe it!) so basically what I wanted to do was somehow get all the stuff off the harddrive and transfer it to my external harddrive, does anyone have any clue how to do this? Or would I be better off putting my harddrive into someone else's laptop and doing it that way because I wanted to back up my iTunes (cos it took me 3 days to get all the info for it!)

    Oh, if this is any use, it's a Compaq Presario C500 and I bought it in 2007. It won't let me post links on here but if you need to know what it looks like, just type "Compaq Presario C500 harddrive" into Google pictures.

    Help much appreciated =]

    Smoose, Feb 12, 2009

  2. Smoose

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Well, you've only got a few options:

    * Somehow get power on your laptop. Buy a power supply -- or make one. Borrow a friends?
    * Put the hard drive in someone else's computer.
    * Buy an external USB<->IDE controller and make the current internal laptop harddrive an external hard drive.

    I'd expect that option 3 is the easiest/least intrusive option.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com

    MarkSatterfield, Mar 2, 2009