Dead Laptop comes back to "Life" Mystery

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, Apr 23, 2008.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL110 laptop (bought 2nd hand) with
    bad display (display "wires" disconnected). I used an external Monitor. I
    kept the laptop plugged into AC all the time and the battery installed. I
    had no problems the first few days. Note: the laptop was on from 7:30AM
    until around 5PM every day. Then one morning, I tried to turn it on, but
    absolutely nothing happened. The only indicator that was lit, which
    is always lit, is the plugged into AC indicator. Note: I am a TV, etc. (not
    computer) serviceman. I won't go into details of the tests I performed, which
    included testing the power switch.
    ..
    I removed a dead (!!) RTC/CMOS battery. Note: When the laptop "worked",
    there was no sign (loss of time/date) that the RTC/CMOS battery was going bad.

    I put this laptop in a box (main battery removed). About 5 days later, I
    hooked it up to AC, but left the main battery out (RTC/CMOS battery removed).
    When I tried to turn it on, absolutely nothing happened so I put it back in
    the box (main battery removed).

    Over a month later, I hooked up the laptop (main battery removed & no RTC
    battery). When I pressed the power button, it booted up!!!!!!! I repeated
    shut down and power up. It boots up every time, although I see a warning
    message caused by no RTC/CMOS battery. I installed a new RTC/CMOS
    battery. I now use it on AC without the main battery installed. When I shut
    it down for the day, I remove AC power via the switch on the power strip.

    Can someone explain this MYSTERY???

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.
    Brad, Apr 23, 2008

  2. "Brad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Compaq Presario 1200XL110 laptop (bought 2nd hand) with
    > bad display (display "wires" disconnected). I used an external Monitor.
    > kept the laptop plugged into AC all the time and the battery installed.
    > had no problems the first few days. Note: the laptop was on from 7:30AM
    > until around 5PM every day. Then one morning, I tried to turn it on, but
    > absolutely nothing happened. The only indicator that was lit, which
    > is always lit, is the plugged into AC indicator. Note: I am a TV, etc.
    > (not
    > computer) serviceman. I won't go into details of the tests I performed,
    > which
    > included testing the power switch.
    > .
    > I removed a dead (!!) RTC/CMOS battery. Note: When the laptop
    > "worked",
    > there was no sign (loss of time/date) that the RTC/CMOS battery was going
    > bad.
    >
    > I put this laptop in a box (main battery removed). About 5 days later,
    > hooked it up to AC, but left the main battery out (RTC/CMOS battery
    > removed).
    > When I tried to turn it on, absolutely nothing happened so I put it back
    > in
    > the box (main battery removed).
    >
    > Over a month later, I hooked up the laptop (main battery removed & no
    > RTC
    > battery). When I pressed the power button, it booted up!!!!!!! I
    > repeated
    > shut down and power up. It boots up every time, although I see a warning
    > message caused by no RTC/CMOS battery. I installed a new RTC/CMOS
    > battery. I now use it on AC without the main battery installed. When I
    > shut
    > it down for the day, I remove AC power via the switch on the power strip.
    >
    > Can someone explain this MYSTERY???

    Cold solder joint?

    Why do you bother to turn it OFF?
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 23, 2008