    in years am I entering the right intructions? From the
    "a" propmt I enter C:\ and hit enter.
    Thanks for any help

    Xantipis, Nov 10, 2007

  2. Xantipis

    philo Guest

    "Xantipis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Running WinXP with all the updates.
    > While on line the machine made a static noise through
    > the speakers and the screen went dark. I rebooted and got a message
    > that I had "disk failure" and for me to let windows scan
    > the disk. It returned an O. K. Rebooted agian
    > this time it started to windows but when it got to the
    > log-in screen it went dark and rebooted itself then
    > went to a DOS (?) screen asking how it should
    > boot. ( Safe, to Dos prompt, etc) I have chosen all of the options
    > individually to no
    > avail.
    > Ran a Western Digital program (dos) that shows disk O.K. (000)
    > Made a dos boot disk but can't get to drive C:
    > Any ideas?
    > My "Dos" skills were marginal and not having used them
    > in years am I entering the right intructions? From the
    > "a" propmt I enter C:\ and hit enter.
    > Thanks for any help

    You cannot access and NTFS drive with a dos boot disk.

    Boot from your XP cd and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f

    philo, Nov 10, 2007

  3. Xantipis

    sachin Guest

    On Nov 11, 9:41 am, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "Xantipis" <> wrote in message

    > > Running WinXP with all the updates.
    > > While on line the machine made a static noise through
    > > the speakers and the screen went dark. I rebooted and got a message
    > > that I had "disk failure" and for me to let windows scan
    > > the disk. It returned an O. K. Rebooted agian
    > > this time it started to windows but when it got to the
    > > log-in screen it went dark and rebooted itself then
    > > went to a DOS (?) screen asking how it should
    > > boot. ( Safe, to Dos prompt, etc) I have chosen all of the options
    > > individually to no
    > > avail.
    > > Ran a Western Digital program (dos) that shows disk O.K. (000)
    > > Made a dos boot disk but can't get to drive C:
    > > Any ideas?
    > > My "Dos" skills were marginal and not having used them
    > > in years am I entering the right intructions? From the
    > > "a" propmt I enter C:\ and hit enter.
    > > Thanks for any help

    > You cannot access and NTFS drive with a dos boot disk.
    >
    > Boot from your XP cd and from the recovery console run chkdsk /f

    try downloading the utility "dead disk doctor" It will help recover
    files. i have used it and its good

    sachin, Nov 10, 2007
  4. Xantipis

    theokochen Guest

    theokochen, Nov 11, 2007
  5. Xantipis

    theokochen, Nov 11, 2007
  6. Xantipis

    Xantipis Guest

    "sachin" <> wrote in message > try downloading the
    utility "dead disk doctor" It will help recover
    > files. i have used it and its good

    The only one I found has to run in windows and isn't a self booting disk.
    How did you use it?
    I cannot get to windows at all.
    Xant

    Xantipis, Nov 12, 2007