    won't know it was me wot did it, guv! That way I can return it knowing they
    can't do anything with it.

    TIA

    Bob, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Bob

    old jon Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a gericom external drive which has gone belly-up, after switiching
    >it
    > on all I get is a series of 8 clicks, over and over. XP doesn't see it
    > any
    > more. The drive is still under guarantee so I could send it back for
    > repair/replacement but it's got all sorts of personal info on it, bank and
    > credit cards details and a lot more besides (it was used as a backup).
    > Any
    > way at all I can either wipe the drive or damage it invisibly beyond all
    > hope of anyone being able to read the info? By invisibly I mean so
    > Gericom
    > won't know it was me wot did it, guv! That way I can return it knowing
    > they
    > can't do anything with it.
    >
    > TIA

    If it were me, I`d take it out of the case, and plug it into your machine
    as a slave drive to see if anything was recoverable.
    If that doesn`t work, pop it back in the case and take it your local
    scrapyard, and ask them to stick it under their magnetic grab, and
    zap it.

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Bob" <> wrote in message
[...]
    : >
    : > TIA
    : >
    : If it were me, I`d take it out of the case, and plug it into your machine
    : as a slave drive to see if anything was recoverable.
    : If that doesn`t work, pop it back in the case and take it your local
    : scrapyard, and ask them to stick it under their magnetic grab, and
    : zap it.
    :
    : --
    : bw..OJ
    : I've already tried that, Jon, and it didn't work as a slave drive either.
    I like your idea about the magnetic grab though! Brilliant! Off to a
    scrapyard tomorrow, thanks for the idea.

    Bob, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Bob

    Trax Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote:

    |>"Bob" <> wrote in message

    |>> Any
    |>> way at all I can either wipe the drive or damage it invisibly beyond all
    |>> hope of anyone being able to read the info? By invisibly I mean so
    |>> Gericom won't know it was me wot did it, guv!

    |> take it your local
    |>scrapyard, and ask them to stick it under their magnetic grab, and
    |>zap it.

    Nice one! I'd of never thought of that, but it sure should do the
    trick.

    --
    pedestrian meets destiny
    http://homepage1.seed.net.tw/web@5/wychomepage/mygod.gif

    Trax, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Bob

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote:

    >: --
    >: bw..OJ
    >: I've already tried that, Jon, and it didn't work as a slave drive either.
    >I like your idea about the magnetic grab though! Brilliant! Off to a
    >scrapyard tomorrow, thanks for the idea.

    Be careful. If you send the drive in for warranty repair/replacement
    they may be able to detect that it has been exposed to a high
    intensity magnetic field, and that might be enough to void the
    warranty.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Bob

    Ragz Guest

    I had a gericom go the same way it got very hot and never come back on again
    .. take it out plug it in as a slave and get a program called knoppix which
    is a operating system on a cd , if that cant get into it then there's no
    need to worry about any1 else accessing it . Warning though .... Make sure
    you close knoppix down properly because it temporarily takes over all your
    pc and if it is not close down the correct way "which is basically the same
    way as windows" it doesn't pass back over your system properly. Make sure
    you peel off the sticker that covers one of the screws properly and replace
    it after , otherwise they wont change it for you . I know Aldi store doesn't
    do business with gericom any more so if you got it from there don't expect a
    replacement. Good Luck either way

    Ragz, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thanks Ragz, sounds worth a try at least. I'm downloading knoppix right
    now.

    "Ragz" <> wrote in message
[...]
    : "Trax" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > "old jon" <> wrote:
    : >
    : > |>
    : > |>"Bob" <> wrote in message
    : > |>news:...
    : >
    : > |>> Any
    : > |>> way at all I can either wipe the drive or damage it invisibly beyond
    : > all
    : > |>> hope of anyone being able to read the info? By invisibly I mean so
    : > |>> Gericom won't know it was me wot did it, guv!
    : >
    : > |> take it your local
    : > |>scrapyard, and ask them to stick it under their magnetic grab, and
    : > |>zap it.
    : >
    : > Nice one! I'd of never thought of that, but it sure should do the
    : > trick.
    : >
    : > --

    Bob, Feb 24, 2006