    open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    refuses to let go)

    TIA

    -=rjh=-, Nov 15, 2004

  2. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    > changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
    > I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
    > one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >
    > What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
    > is out of warranty.
    >
    > Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
    > open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    > refuses to let go)

    There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
    clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
    apart easily enough.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Nov 15, 2004

  3. -=rjh=-

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:04:32 +1300, The Other Guy <>
    wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    >> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
    >> I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
    >> one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >>
    >> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
    >> is out of warranty.
    >>
    >> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
    >> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    >> refuses to let go)

    >There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
    >clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
    >apart easily enough.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    related question - did a dumb thing myself - Linksys wireless router
    on default 192.168.1.1
    Changed SSID, saved config. Turned of DHCP, saved config and then
    bloody thing wouldn't let me get back in. I guess it picked up DHCP
    address and is on some other IP.
    Q- how do I determine the new IP address (as handed out my DHCP
    server) so that I can get back in and set up the securities?

    Italian Jobs, Nov 15, 2004
  4. -=rjh=-

    JedMeister Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message news:419875fa$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    > changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last I
    > saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the one I
    > set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >
    > What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it is
    > out of warranty.
    >
    > Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you open
    > these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that refuses to
    > let go)
    >
    > TIA

    There is supposed to be a reset pinhold button in the front of the modem
    case - try this first although it did not work in my case.

    Refresh the firmware should do the trick -scew is in the center (maybe under
    the sticker or something).

    The most difficult bit (which I had), is that you must refresh the firmware
    from DOS (and not a DOS window). The firmware needs a couple of writeable
    Mb - so you need to setup a ram disk when you boot up in dos mode.

    Also, you need to join a couple of jumpers with a wire before doing the
    update - i just used a paper clip, dodgy but did the job.

    JedMeister, Nov 15, 2004
  5. -=rjh=-

    Bob McLellan Guest

    I had a Dynalink router like that and it got fixed by the agent with a
    firmware update.

    Bob McLellan, Nov 16, 2004
  6. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Bob McLellan wrote:
    > I had a Dynalink router like that and it got fixed by the agent with a
    > firmware update.
    >
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    >> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the
    >> last I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or
    >> the one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >>
    >> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but
    >> it is out of warranty.
    >>
    >> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
    >> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    >> refuses to let go)
    >>
    >> TIA

    Fixed it!

    OK, for those that are interested:

    Download bootable CDROM image from
    http://www.origo-repair.org.uk/index.htm, this has very recent firmware
    from JMK on it, which has a heap of features. This firmware supposedly
    has more features than the Billion firmware previously mentioned, and
    has been included on the CD with the developer's permission. I don't
    know about the legality of using the firmware with a DSE router. It is
    certainly a lot more recent (October 2004) than DSE's last firmware release.

    You don't need to open the DSE router case to fit the jumper, you can
    pry the right front corner apart far enough to slip a jumper in with
    long nose pliers. Tricky, but it can be done. The case is amazingly
    flexible, and just clips together.

    Boot a PC from the CDROM (Intel chipset preferred, and that worked
    here), select the JMK firmware, then plug in the router via USB and
    power it up. Follow the instructions to upgrade the firmware. When it
    completes, you've got a working router again. Easy as. Default IP
    address is 10.0.0.2, admin password is epicrouter (note these settings
    all different from the DSE firmware).

    You get to go from a very basic, very cheap router to one with a tonne
    of features not found in the DSE firmware, including ability to email
    alerts, DMZ, intrusion detection, SPI, URL blocking, and so on, and a
    reasonably nice interface. With a working reset button again :)

    Seems like there are quite a few different firmwares available for the
    Connexant device, and flashing the router is so easy I might have a play
    with some others to see what they look like.

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Nov 20, 2004
  7. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    >> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the
    >> last I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or
    >> the one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >>
    >> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but
    >> it is out of warranty.
    >>
    >> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
    >> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    >> refuses to let go)

    > There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
    > clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
    > apart easily enough.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    No screw on mine, only the molding sprue - I've removed the label to
    check what is underneath. As it turns out, you don't need to undo the
    case completely anyway.

    BTW your reply didn't show up in my newsfeed until 22/11 - I wonder why?
    that is almost a week!

    -=rjh=-, Nov 23, 2004
  8. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Italian Jobs wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:04:32 +1300, The Other Guy <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>-=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
    >>>changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
    >>>I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
    >>>one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
    >>>
    >>>What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
    >>>is out of warranty.
    >>>
    >>>Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
    >>>open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
    >>>refuses to let go)

    >>There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
    >>clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
    >>apart easily enough.
    >>
    >>The Other Guy

    > related question - did a dumb thing myself - Linksys wireless router
    > on default 192.168.1.1
    > Changed SSID, saved config. Turned of DHCP, saved config and then
    > bloody thing wouldn't let me get back in. I guess it picked up DHCP
    > address and is on some other IP.
    > Q- how do I determine the new IP address (as handed out my DHCP
    > server) so that I can get back in and set up the securities?

    Do you know the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server will hand
    out? My Trendnet router has an interface where you can see which IP
    addresses have been handed out, and to which devices, which is really
    helpful.

    Or you could just reset the Linksys and start from scratch?

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Nov 23, 2004
  9. -=rjh=-

    EMB Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Do you know the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server will hand
    > out? My Trendnet router has an interface where you can see which IP
    > addresses have been handed out, and to which devices, which is really
    > helpful.
    >
    > Or you could just reset the Linksys and start from scratch?

    Or you could use arp or winarp to define a known static IP for it's MAC
    address, then get into it that way.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 23, 2004