    Does this happen to good computers? Did I kill it? can I use a board to
    get new keyboard access, and is it wise to try and pay for such?

    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Feb 5, 2005

  2. "Sean Cleary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have a compaq deskpro.
    > I was trying to install a modem in it.
    > Now it does not recognize the keyboard.
    >
    > Does this happen to good computers? Did I kill it? can I use a board to
    > get new keyboard access, and is it wise to try and pay for such?

    Well, it's far too early to say that the computer is "dead." Any more,
    it's pretty rare for PS2 ports to all of a sudden fail, but it's definitely
    possible. Unplugging/Plugging in a keyboard while the computer is on can
    cause problems like this one.

    Have you tried another keyboard? Did you accidentally plug the mouse into
    the keyboard port? If it is actually a bad PS2 port, you might try a USB
    keyboard. If you don't have any USB ports built in, you can get a PCI USB
    card for around $15 on newegg. Failing ports can be the first sign of a
    motherboard going bad though. If it's still under warranty, you might look
    into replacing in.

    Patrick Michael, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Sean Cleary

    me Guest

    Did you check the keyboard plug ? Make sure there are not any broken broken
    prongs on the keyboard connection. Also, if you have a spare keyboard you
    can try it to see if it is the keyboard. Also, make sure you have the
    keyboard connection seated properly. I had a presario recently I worked on,
    and when I tried one keyboard I use--it would not recognize, but when I
    switched and used another, newer keyboard--it saw it normally.

    me, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Sean Cleary

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    > snip

    IRQ conflict perhaps?

    Spammy Sammy, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    Rightard Whitey wrote:
    > Sean Cleary wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a compaq deskpro.
    > > I was trying to install a modem in it.
    > > Now it does not recognize the keyboard.
    > >
    > > Does this happen to good computers? Did I kill it? can I use a

    board to
    > > get new keyboard access, and is it wise to try and pay for such?
    > >

    > > Sean
    > >

    > Take the modem out and see if the PC works. I doubt if you killed

    your
    > computer.

    I really needed your encouragement.
    Removed modem, no effect.
    swapped mouse and keyboard plugs again, and it worked.
    Put the modem back in and it still worked.
    Thank you for the encouragement.

    Sean

    Sean Cleary, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Sean Cleary

    Guest

    Great work. Every situation is a chance to learn. Sometimes, what to
    do. Sometimes what not to do. Yes, it is great to have a good group of
    experience like this one.

    , Feb 7, 2005