    something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a few
    hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
    havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.
    gimp, Aug 18, 2004

  2. gimp

    gimp Guest

    btw my other specs are as follows:

    Albatron K8X800 ProII (bios 1.09)
    380W Antec PSU
    Athlon64 3200+
    1GB DDR400
    WD raptor boot disk
    WD caviar AV disk
    lucent PCI winmodem
    gimp, Aug 18, 2004

  3. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
    > installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.
    >
    > everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports my
    > card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed XP i
    > checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've checked the
    > bios (i installed the latest version before installing XP) and AGP is
    > set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...? there's no error
    > icons in Device Manager, but when i check the video card there or in
    > display properties it says its "installed on the PCI bus, may cause
    > performance issues" ..???
    >
    > the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
    > or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
    > few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
    > havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.

    I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer drivers are
    more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work well with GF4's. I
    have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it works well.

    JMO.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2004
  4. gimp

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >gimp wrote:
    >> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
    >> installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.
    >>
    >> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports my
    >> card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed XP i
    >> checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've checked the
    >> bios (i installed the latest version before installing XP) and AGP is
    >> set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...? there's no error
    >> icons in Device Manager, but when i check the video card there or in
    >> display properties it says its "installed on the PCI bus, may cause
    >> performance issues" ..???
    >>
    >> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
    >> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
    >> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
    >> havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.

    >I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer drivers are
    >more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work well with GF4's. I
    >have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it works well.
    >
    >JMO.

    Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..
    Karen Parker, Aug 18, 2004
  5. gimp

    cowboyz Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> gimp wrote:
    >>> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine
    >>> and i installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX
    >>> 440SE.
    >>>
    >>> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports
    >>> my card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed
    >>> XP i checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've
    >>> checked the bios (i installed the latest version before installing
    >>> XP) and AGP is set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...?
    >>> there's no error icons in Device Manager, but when i check the
    >>> video card there or in display properties it says its "installed on
    >>> the PCI bus, may cause performance issues" ..???
    >>>
    >>> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
    >>> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
    >>> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card
    >>> and i havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.

    >> I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer
    >> drivers are more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work
    >> well with GF4's. I have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it
    >> works well.
    >>
    >> JMO.

    > Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..

    Install motherboard AGP drivers. This is not a gfx driver issue.
    cowboyz, Aug 18, 2004
  6. gimp

    gimp Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Install motherboard AGP drivers. This is not a gfx driver issue.

    yep - i forgot to install VIA 4 in 1 drivers - all fixed now and 3D is
    way faster.
    gimp, Aug 18, 2004
  7. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> Install motherboard AGP drivers. This is not a gfx driver issue.

    > yep - i forgot to install VIA 4 in 1 drivers - all fixed now and 3D is
    > way faster.

    Cool.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2004
  8. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> gimp wrote:
    >>> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine
    >>> and i installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX
    >>> 440SE.
    >>>
    >>> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports
    >>> my card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed
    >>> XP i checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've
    >>> checked the bios (i installed the latest version before installing
    >>> XP) and AGP is set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...?
    >>> there's no error icons in Device Manager, but when i check the
    >>> video card there or in display properties it says its "installed on
    >>> the PCI bus, may cause performance issues" ..???
    >>>
    >>> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
    >>> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
    >>> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card
    >>> and i havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.

    >> I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer
    >> drivers are more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work
    >> well with GF4's. I have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it
    >> works well.
    >>
    >> JMO.

    > Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games.

    I've played a couple of DX9..... Oh, ****, this is woger isn't it? I forgot
    to plonk this iteration of you.

    GF4 has no DX9 support therefore running a driver that does actually slows
    the card down or worse.

    <plonk>
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2004
  9. gimp

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:28 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer
    >>> drivers are more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work
    >>> well with GF4's. I have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it
    >>> works well.
    >>>
    >>> JMO.

    >> Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games.

    >I've played a couple of DX9..... Oh, ****, this is woger isn't it? I forgot
    >to plonk this iteration of you.
    >
    >GF4 has no DX9 support therefore running a driver that does actually slows
    >the card down or worse.
    >
    ><plonk>

    Funny its one of the cards that is listed for DOOM 3, I am not referring to
    Full blown DX9.

    There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.

    All need different 3D cards.

    I think its shader 1,2 & 3

    You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get into my
    knickers.
    Karen Parker, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Karen Parker wrote:
    >>GF4 has no DX9 support therefore running a driver that does actually slows
    >>the card down or worse.

    > Funny its one of the cards that is listed for DOOM 3, I am not referring to
    > Full blown DX9.
    >
    > There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.
    > All need different 3D cards.
    > I think its shader 1,2 & 3

    These are simply three different shaders.
    Software that uses DX9 can specify which shader they use.

    > You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get into my
    > knickers.

    ew... Roger, thats just foul, why anyone would want to get into the
    pants of a >65 yr old man, who refers to himself using a womans name, is
    just absurd.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 18, 2004
  11. gimp

    theseus Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get
    > into my knickers.

    <puke>
    hitting on those "little boys" again Woger ?
    theseus, Aug 18, 2004
  12. gimp

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:41:50 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>gimp wrote:
    >>> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
    >>> installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.
    >>>
    >>> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports my
    >>> card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed XP i
    >>> checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've checked the
    >>> bios (i installed the latest version before installing XP) and AGP is
    >>> set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...? there's no error
    >>> icons in Device Manager, but when i check the video card there or in
    >>> display properties it says its "installed on the PCI bus, may cause
    >>> performance issues" ..???
    >>>
    >>> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
    >>> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
    >>> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
    >>> havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.

    >>I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer drivers are
    >>more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work well with GF4's. I
    >>have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it works well.
    >>
    >>JMO.

    >Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..

    GeForce 4 Mx440 wont run Dx9, it's only Dx8.x compliant.
    Bret, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Bret wrote:
    >>Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..

    > GeForce 4 Mx440 wont run Dx9, it's only Dx8.x compliant.

    MS itself pass round two different terms... "complient" and "compatible"

    I have a DX8 complient card(it supports all DX8 specs), but I can run
    games that require DX9, so my card is DX9 compatible.

    its all in the terminology

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 18, 2004
  14. gimp

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:15:07 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:41:50 +1200, Karen Parker
    >< wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer drivers are
    >>>more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work well with GF4's. I
    >>>have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it works well.
    >>>
    >>>JMO.

    >>Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..
    >>

    >GeForce 4 Mx440 wont run Dx9, it's only Dx8.x compliant.

    Go read the recommended list for DOOM III
    Karen Parker, Aug 19, 2004
  15. gimp

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:47:08 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:15:07 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:41:50 +1200, Karen Parker
    >>< wrote:

    >>>Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..
    >>>

    >>GeForce 4 Mx440 wont run Dx9, it's only Dx8.x compliant.

    >Go read the recommended list for DOOM III

    You mean this bit.
    "3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible
    64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the lateset drivers"

    Don't ask me what "lateset" drivers are :)
    Bret, Aug 19, 2004
  16. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:09:27 +1200, Karen Parker <>
    says...
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:28 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Karen Parker wrote:

    > >> Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games.

    > >I've played a couple of DX9..... Oh, ****, this is woger isn't it? I forgot
    > >to plonk this iteration of you.
    > >
    > >GF4 has no DX9 support therefore running a driver that does actually slows
    > >the card down or worse.
    > >
    > ><plonk>

    > Funny its one of the cards that is listed for DOOM 3, I am not referring to
    > Full blown DX9.
    >
    > There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.
    >
    > All need different 3D cards.
    >
    > I think its shader 1,2 & 3
    >

    > You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get into my
    > knickers.

    Are you going senile Woger you old fool?
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 19, 2004
  17. gimp

    assaarpa Guest

    > There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.

    Wrong. If you don't have DX9 level drivers installed the DX9 runtime will
    use emulation through older DirectX interfaces: yessir, there is mechanism
    that DX9 application will run on DX8, 7, .. display driver only thing you
    need is to have DirectX 9.0x runtimes installed -and- display driver atleast
    version Y of DX runtime support. I don't know what is minimum version of
    driver runtime the 9.0c supports but it is safe to say that atleast 7. :)

    > All need different 3D cards.

    Not really. The driver has freedom to choose what features to expose to the
    client. This is determined by the caps bits by the client. DX 9.0c is just
    API revision which introduces new features and support mechanism so that
    hardware/driver combination can expose the features to the client.

    > I think its shader 1,2 & 3

    There are more shader versions than that for both VS and PS! The version
    numbers just describe the most common denominator feature-set required to
    get that version. If someone says they do PS 2.0, it means that the features
    specified in the specs should be present. Nothing to do with "3 levels of
    DX9 support", that's nonsense.

    Good luck!
    assaarpa, Aug 19, 2004
  18. gimp

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:08:05 +1200, gimp wrote:

    > i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
    > installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.

    Motherboard chipset drivers. Install them ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Life is unfair. Kill yourself or get over it."
    - Black Box Recorder

    Note: All my comments are copyright 18/08/2004 11:18:15 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 20, 2004