    Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

    Thanks

    KJAYW

    KJAYW, Aug 6, 2005

  2. KJAYW

    k35454 Guest

    "KJAYW" <> wrote in message
    news:yW9Je.122485$...
    Hi

    I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
    operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
    'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.

    Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

    Thanks

    KJAYW

    Try in Safe Mode. k35454.

    k35454, Aug 7, 2005

  3. KJAYW

    Kenny Guest

    Try both in Safe Mode.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Aug 7, 2005
  4. KJAYW

    k35454 Guest

    But do Scandisk FIRST. k35454.
    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    Try both in Safe Mode.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    k35454, Aug 7, 2005
  5. KJAYW

    Plato Guest

    KJAYW wrote:

    > I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
    > operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
    > 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

    What size HDD?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 8, 2005
  6. "KJAYW" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
    > operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
    > 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > KJAYW

    Before you defrag make sure you hit control+alt+delete and close out any
    running programs except "explore". Make sure you shut off your screen saver
    too, any program that kicks in while your are defraging (ex.screensaver)
    will reset your back to the start.

    Capt. KillaHo, Aug 15, 2005