DDR333 (CL=2) vs DDR400 (CL=3) and other questions from a n00b

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jesse, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Jesse

    Jesse Guest

    I want to buy some parts for an existing computer and a new one that I
    want to make or atleast customize. My experience with computers is
    basic; I haven't touched overclocking or programming yet.
    I have a few questions that the more experienced ppl will probably
    know.

    First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
    1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
    megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

    -I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
    (the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
    away with a fan mounted in the case

    -What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
    audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
    chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

    -Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
    retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?

    -Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
    installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
    performs at the CL of 3)
    Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
    at 266)

    Thank you for any and all help.

    And now for something completely different-Does SuSE LInux version 9.0
    Personal have a built in partitioner?

    Jesse, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Jesse

    derek / nul Guest

    On 19 Nov 2003 17:37:46 -0800, (Jesse) wrote:

    >I want to buy some parts for an existing computer and a new one that I
    >want to make or atleast customize. My experience with computers is
    >basic; I haven't touched overclocking or programming yet.
    >I have a few questions that the more experienced ppl will probably
    >know.
    >
    >First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
    >1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
    >megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

    The 333 CL2 would be faster.

    >-I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
    >(the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
    >away with a fan mounted in the case

    You have to be kidding, a heatsink and fan is ***very*** necessary, buy a GOOD
    one.

    >-What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
    >audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
    >chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

    I like GigaByte.

    >-Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
    >retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?
    >
    >-Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
    >installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
    >performs at the CL of 3)
    >Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
    >at 266)

    of course

    >And now for something completely different-Does SuSE LInux version 9.0
    >Personal have a built in partitioner?

    Yes

    derek / nul, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Jesse

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Jesse) wrote in news:fadee8c5.0311191737.2c4f1416
    @posting.google.com:

    > First, would 1 gig of DDR333 RAM with a CL or CAS of 2 be faster than
    > 1 gig of DDR400 with a CL or CAS of 3? I dont mean in terms of
    > megahertz but in actual access times and performance.

    Depends. The former would probably have a better access time but lower
    throughput

    > -I don't want to fry my processor so is it necessary to buy my XP 3000
    > (the one with the 400 FSB) with a heatsink and fan or could I just get
    > away with a fan mounted in the case

    Chip's cooling needs have evolved since the Pentium 2 era. Any CPU made
    in the past 5 years or so (except the via C3) requires a heatsink and
    fan. No heatsink means the chip will overheat (and possibly destroy
    itself) in under 30 seconds. No fan means it will slowly build up heat
    until it crashes, possibly causing permanent damage

    > -What's the best mobo for someone with the 3000 who wants good onboard
    > audio, but no integrated grpahics. So basically, what are the best
    > chipsets and onboard audio (Nvidia?ATI?SiS?)

    The best onboard audio by far is the nVidia SoundStorm enabled
    motherboards. 6 channel output, dolby 5.1 support, and sounds just as
    good as sound cards costing as much as the entire motherboard does.

    I highly recommend the Asus A7N8X-Deluxe right now, it's a fantastic
    board with onboard audio, dual onboard ethernet, firewire, serial ATA,
    Dual DDR memory, and has no integrated video (one 4x/8x AGP slot)

    > -Do OEM products come in a box with a manual, CD, cables etc. like
    > retail products or are they lacking cables and manuals all together?

    No manual for certain, sometimes no CD with drives, usually no cables or
    other "extras". Like, buy a retail motherboard and you'll usually get at
    least 1 IDE cable and 1 floppy cable, buy an OEM one and you will
    probably not get cables at all.

    > -Finally, I know that RAM is only as fast as the slowest module
    > installed (A DIMM with a CL of 2 next to a DIMM with a CL of 3 only
    > performs at the CL of 3)
    > Does the same go with the speed? (like DDR533 next to DDR266 only run
    > at 266)

    The RAM runs at whatever speed the motherboard tells it to. DDR266
    (PC2100) is only rated for 266 mhz speeds. It will run at 533 mhz if the
    motherboard tells it to, it will just have errors out the wazoo and
    probably won't even let the machine POST.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Jesse

    Kenny Guest

    I totally agree re: Asus A7N8X, I'm using one at present. Only slight
    niggle was using 5.1 speakers blocks the mic. socket which I use for karaoke
    so I added a Creative 5.1 card.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 20, 2003