    of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the gb( 1gb+256)
    or will it be best to install the 1gb with another 1gb.(Paired)
    TIA
    doS, Jan 9, 2006

  2. doS

    *****General Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    news:y2Bwf.286$...
    >I have a new notebook, has 2 -256mb sticks ddr2 ram.I got a single1gb stick
    >of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the gb(
    >1gb+256) or will it be best to install the 1gb with another 1gb.(Paired)
    > TIA

    You can but you shouldn't. Do you smoke too?
    *****General, Jan 9, 2006

  3. doS

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:01:00 -0500, "doS" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a new notebook, has 2 -256mb sticks ddr2 ram.I got a single1gb stick
    >of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the gb( 1gb+256)
    >or will it be best to install the 1gb with another 1gb.(Paired)

    Probably depends on the laptop. :)
    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2006
  4. doS

    doS Guest

    "*****General" <*****> wrote in message

    > "doS" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a new notebook, has 2 -256mb sticks ddr2 ram.I got a single1gb
    >>stick of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the
    >>gb( 1gb+256) or will it be best to install the 1gb with another
    >>1gb.(Paired)
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Do you smoke too?

    I havent looked, thanks.

    doS, Jan 9, 2006
  5. doS

    Guest

    talk to the manufacturer about this
    , Jan 10, 2006
  6. doS

    FML Guest

    doS wrote:
    > I have a new notebook, has 2 -256mb sticks ddr2 ram.I got a single1gb stick
    > of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the gb( 1gb+256)
    > or will it be best to install the 1gb with another 1gb.(Paired)
    > TIA

    If the laptop is capable of dealing with a 1Gb stick, then yu should be
    OK. Unless you are dealing with dual channel which requires two
    identical modules. However, dual channel and DDR2 are not the same thing.
    FML, Jan 10, 2006
  7. doS

    doS Guest

    its an Acer 1641

    doS, Jan 10, 2006
  8. doS

    Jarhead Guest

    doS wrote:
    > its an Acer 1641
    >
    > "FML" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>doS wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a new notebook, has 2 -256mb sticks ddr2 ram.I got a single1gb
    >>>stick of ddr2, same speed.can i remove one of the 256 and install the
    >>>gb( 1gb+256) or will it be best to install the 1gb with another
    >>>1gb.(Paired)
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>If the laptop is capable of dealing with a 1Gb stick, then yu should be
    >>OK. Unless you are dealing with dual channel which requires two identical
    >>modules. However, dual channel and DDR2 are not the same thing.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...r&tabid=AM&model=Aspire 1600 Series&submit=Go

    Memory information from Crucial, says you can have 1024 mb in 1600 series.

    --
    Jarhead
    Jarhead, Jan 10, 2006
  9. doS

    doS Guest

    thats the wrong model, but thanks

    doS, Jan 10, 2006
  10. doS

    Jarhead Guest

    doS wrote:
    > thats the wrong model, but thanks
    >
    > "Jarhead" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>doS wrote:
    >>
    >>>its an Acer 1641
    >>>
    >>>"FML" <> wrote in message

    >>http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...r&tabid=AM&model=Aspire 1600 Series&submit=Go
    >>
    >>Memory information from Crucial, says you can have 1024 mb in 1600 series.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jarhead

    You just posted that you had a 1641, is that not in the range of 1600 to
    1699? Why don't plug in the number for your specific notebook? I bet you
    will get the same info.

    --
    Jarhead
    Jarhead, Jan 10, 2006