    compatibility (so you can't install DDR DIMMs), or is it a BIOS issue
    (in which case you can't even use a PCI device with its own DDR RAM)?

    Dave
    Dave Hardenbrook, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    me Guest

    I would say it is a connector issue. Personally though I would ask the
    question--why install a DDR video card into a motherboard that does not use
    ddr memory? IMO I would never do it. I would never advise anyone to do it,
    because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
    computer even under ideal circumstances. Personally I try to get systems to
    ideal conditions by maximizing everything available--m/b, cpu, memory and
    video card, even the hard drive--remember your system is only as fast as the
    weakest link. This is my opinion.
    me, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    me Guest

    I think that is exactly what I said...

    As for being way off base--it could probably be done, but my question
    still--Why would you want to do it?

    me, Feb 3, 2007
  4. me wrote:
    > I think that is exactly what I said...
    >
    > As for being way off base--it could probably be done, but my question
    > still--Why would you want to do it?

    I think you need to read Barry's reply again.
    If the Graphics load is borne by a dedicated fast vid card, then
    essentially the rest of the system will be less taxed.
    I can see it doing it in my older server. It does it's job adequately
    but the current video card sucks.

    --

    The Mön§igñor

    "Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
    I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
    fact exist, sir."
    Mön§igñor ßoddoM, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    me Guest

    no, I understood his response. I think he misunderstood my original reply.
    I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
    why would you want to? I don't understand how that is "way off base"

    me, Feb 3, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > why install a DDR video card into a motherboard that does not use
    > ddr memory?

    Because I have a client with a old system with a "non-DDR" Mobo. Her
    video card died, and the only replacement video cards that seem to be
    available all use DDR. So I needed to verify that they will work on her
    system.
    Dave Hardenbrook, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Dave Hardenbrook

    JohnO Guest

    > I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
    > why would you want to?

    Your reason is the issue: "I would never advise anyone to do it,
    because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
    computer even under ideal circumstances."

    I think what you're saying is that today's fast video cards shouldn't
    be used in older (non-DDR) motherboards. But, the DDR in the video
    card is simply allowing that processor to work faster than it would if
    it used SDR. And that's all. In the end the card still needs to
    translate its results to the AGP port, where it all evens out, and the
    specific memory technology used by the video processor becomes 100%
    irrelevant.

    Is the DDR video card more power than the computer can handle? Hard to
    say, but so what. If it's all Dave can get, it'll work just fine.

    BTW, in this situation the terrm bottleneck is better used this
    way...with the new DDR video card there certainly won't be a
    bottleneck at the video system anymore. ....adding a faster peripheral
    doesn't *cause* a bottleneck, it typically *removes* one.

    Ahh, it's Monday! 3 degrees F and 2½ feet of snow since Friday.

    -John O
    JohnO, Feb 5, 2007
  8. JohnO wrote:
    >> I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
    >> why would you want to?

    > Your reason is the issue: "I would never advise anyone to do it,
    > because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
    > computer even under ideal circumstances."
    >
    > I think what you're saying is that today's fast video cards shouldn't
    > be used in older (non-DDR) motherboards. But, the DDR in the video
    > card is simply allowing that processor to work faster than it would if
    > it used SDR. And that's all. In the end the card still needs to
    > translate its results to the AGP port, where it all evens out, and the
    > specific memory technology used by the video processor becomes 100%
    > irrelevant.
    >
    > Is the DDR video card more power than the computer can handle? Hard to
    > say, but so what. If it's all Dave can get, it'll work just fine.
    >
    > BTW, in this situation the terrm bottleneck is better used this
    > way...with the new DDR video card there certainly won't be a
    > bottleneck at the video system anymore. ....adding a faster peripheral
    > doesn't *cause* a bottleneck, it typically *removes* one.
    >
    > Ahh, it's Monday! 3 degrees F and 2½ feet of snow since Friday.

    0 degrees here. I feel your windchill. :)

    Mön§igñor ßoddoM, Feb 5, 2007