    However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    the computer has an Intel processor.
    WTF gives?

    Robert Baer, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Robert Baer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
    @earthlink.net:

    > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
    > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    > the computer has an Intel processor.
    > WTF gives?

    I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
    platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
    PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will be
    fine.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 6, 2003

  3. Go to:
    http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
    Put in your m/b type and it will tell you the correct type of RAM.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Robert Baer

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
    > > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    > > the computer has an Intel processor.
    > > WTF gives?

    > I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
    > platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
    > PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will

    be
    > fine.

    Unless his board requires RDRAM. That might explain the difference in price.

    Thor, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
    > @earthlink.net:
    >
    > > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
    > > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    > > the computer has an Intel processor.
    > > WTF gives?

    > I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
    > platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
    > PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will be
    > fine.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    That is exactly what i thought; that is why i askes the question.

    Robert Baer, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > > Robert Baer <> wrote in news:3FD2404A.5BA80D83
    > > @earthlink.net:
    > >
    > > > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
    > > > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    > > > the computer has an Intel processor.
    > > > WTF gives?

    > > I have no clue. DDR SDRAM is DDR SDRAM, whether it's for an Intel or AMD
    > > platform. As long as you match what speed you need (PC2100, PC2700, or
    > > PC3200 for speeds of 266 mhz, 333 mhz and 400 mhz respectively) you will

    > be
    > > fine.

    > Unless his board requires RDRAM. That might explain the difference in price.

    Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
    controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
    specific processor.

    Robert Baer, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Kenny Cargill wrote:

    > Go to:
    > http://www.crucial.com/calculator/
    > Put in your m/b type and it will tell you the correct type of RAM.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny
    >
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > I am intersted in buying a second RAN stick for my computer.
    > > However, a number of vendors want to charge from $30 to $50 more if
    > > the computer has an Intel processor.
    > > WTF gives?

    Sounds like a good idea, except they list only a few VIA boards to
    begin with, and not mine.
    I know what i have in DDR RAM (CAS latency 2.5) and can find matches
    easily, and more if i ignore the AMD/Intel flim-flam.

    Robert Baer, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Robert Baer

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in

    > Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
    > controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
    > specific processor.

    The processor would make no difference provided the northbridge and
    motherboard were designed for DDR. However, since you are saying you
    indeed do have DDR RAM, I see no reason to pay more than what Crucial
    charges for it.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote in
    >
    > > Nope; even so, the processor should make no difference as the memory
    > > controller and interface (north ridge??) would be designed for the
    > > specific processor.
    > >

    > The processor would make no difference provided the northbridge and
    > motherboard were designed for DDR. However, since you are saying you
    > indeed do have DDR RAM, I see no reason to pay more than what Crucial
    > charges for it.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    I agree; what i did was buy from the first seller that indicated
    support of my motherboard with zero "re-stocking fee" (which is really
    their profit).
    Had to pay $115 per 1Gbyte stick instead of $105 from those that did
    not have that support option and/or had the AMD/Intel flim-flam.
    I figure the extra cost is worth staying away from possible BS.

    Robert Baer, Dec 10, 2003