    a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...

    TIA

    MGT
    Me-GT, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Me-GT

    paul s Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 08:45:09 +0100, Me-GT wrote:

    > Hi Group
    > Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
    > slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of improving
    > a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...

    Nope they won't fit. A different type of slot is used.

    --
    Paul S
    - Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude -
    paul s, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Me-GT

    Jarhead Guest

    "Me-GT" <> wrote in message
    | Hi Group
    | Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
    | slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of
    improving
    | a machine with a MoBo with only two slots...
    |
    | TIA
    |
    | MGT

    Your chip set has to support DDR too. probably why they won't fit into the
    slots--

    Jarhead
    Jarhead, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Me-GT

    Cuzman Guest

    "Me-GT" <> wrote in message

    " Anyone know if the new DDR memory sticks fit into the old standard SDRAM
    slots in older machines? I was thinking it would be a good way of improving
    a machine with a MoBo with only two slots..."

    Standard SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM have a different number of pins (168 and 184
    respectively), and they also have a different number of plates on the
    connection side (3 and 2 respectively). If you want some simple but
    effective upgrades for your system without changing the MoBo or CPU, then it
    is best to look into the following:

    1) Find out what MoBo you have (
    http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html ), and identify whether it
    takes PC100 or PC133 SDRAM (clock speeds), and also what the maximum amount
    of SDRAM the MoBo will accept altogether ( check manufacturers website or
    http://www.motherboards.org/ once you know what model it is).

    Your MoBo may accept PC133 as well as PC100, and if so it would be best to
    use two equal sticks of PC133 SDRAM, as mixing SDRAM manufacturers, sizes
    and clock speeds can cause some strange and unexplainable incompatibility
    issues. It doesn't always happen, but you're safer with two sticks that are
    the same.

    If you mix the two clock speeds, then the PC133 stick should be able to
    "clock down" to PC100 so that both sticks can run in-line with each other at
    PC100, but a PC100 stick will not "clock up" to PC133. However, this isn't
    the wisest thing to do because many cheaper un-branded SDRAM sticks won't
    clock down, causing those aforementioned incompatibility issues. You are
    always better off using two equal sticks of branded SDRAM.

    2) Increase the cooling in your case with products like the ones featured
    here: http://www.hardcorecooling.com/

    3) Get a better graphics card with better capabilities and more memory than
    your current one. It will lighten the load on the other system resources
    (CPU and SDRAM), as well as many other advanced capabilities depending on
    the card you get. If you have on-board graphics on your MoBo then it
    probably isn't very powerful. Check the spec of it at the MoBo
    manufacturer's website, and whether the MoBo has an AGP slot and the speed
    of it (AGP2x, AGP4x or AGP8x) to find a compatible card. If you don't have
    an AGP slot, then a powerful PCI card may do the trick.

    If you're on a tight budget for everything, then http://www.ebay.co.uk has
    some good bargains for SDRAM at http://tinyurl.com/iwkr
    Cuzman, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Me-GT

    Me-GT Guest

    Thanks for that comprehensive reply, Cuzman, I'll see what I can do - I
    already have Aida32 loaded, so I'll investigate further into the MoBo spec
    as you recommend....

    Mick

    Me-GT, Aug 3, 2003