    ShellHWDetection.

    Can it be established if this is a genuine system service and wether it is
    O.K. to adjust the permissions, or not?

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006

  2. Tony:
    I'm not with my x64 workstation right now.
    I tried running "services.msc" on Windows XP (32bit) and it shows a service
    named Hardware Shell Detection, related to Plug And Play.
    Take a look there and see what you can find.
    It is also dependent on another service (a "remote" something).
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 2, 2006

  3. See http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t19320.html

    Dominic Payer, May 2, 2006
  4. Wow - this is amazing! How did you ever manage to find the exact reference?
    Well, this guy is more bold than I and walked through the recipe - I have
    dot-net components installed so I guess I might go ahead too. When he
    mentions his initial complications I started thinking about some spy-ware
    thing that re-installs itself upon removal.

    I'll just check on Carlos's tip first. I am in the middle of installing some
    new-fangled Linux distro on the neighboring machine. And I need to find
    something to chew on, so it may be late before I know.

    Thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006
  5. Thank you, Carlos. I've just gone through the motions, and this
    'ShellHWDetection' thing is apparently in cahoots with the 'autoplay'
    function. I fiddled superficially with it and re-booted just now, but the
    error is still there. Well, nothing serious luckily. I'll get the shovel
    under that 'mother' one of these days.

    One curious thing is that it seem always to happen in conjunction with a
    pair 'eventID 49 & 45' that targets the pagefile system dump driver that
    cannot be loaded. Well, I have my tasks prepared for the next couple a'
    days, I suspect.

    Thanks, to both of you!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 2, 2006