    draw what power it needs but better safe than sorry.
    Thanks
    John

    News Groups, Mar 31, 2007

  2. News Groups

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-31, News Groups <> wrote:
    > I need some expert advice here. I have two laptops, one is 19v 2.64amps and
    > the other is 16v 3.19amps. I have a car adapter for the 19v one. Will using
    > this adapter harm the 16v one? I read on one site that the laptop will only
    > draw what power it needs but better safe than sorry.
    > Thanks
    > John

    You *must* match the voltage and polarity; get those wrong and you could
    damage both the supply and the device. Although well-designed equipment
    will have built-in protection against that sort of thing and simply won't
    work, you shouldn't rely on that protection working. The difference
    between 16 and 19 volts /could/ be within the tolerance of your computer,
    but check with the maker of the computer, don't just hope!

    If the supply can manage more current (amps) or power (watts) than the
    device needs, that is no problem; the device will only take what it needs.
    But if the device wants more amps or watts than the supply is rated for,
    then the device may not run properly and the supply might over-heat or cut
    out.

    I have seen 'invertors' for use in a car, to provide a mains-voltage AC
    supply to a mains-type socket, so that you can run small mains-powered
    devices in a car. With one of those you might be able to use the mains
    adaptor of whichever computer you have with you - provided the invertor
    can support the requirements of the mains adaptor. I have never used such
    a set-up so I don't know how well it woud work in practice. I imagine
    heat and space would be a problem, even if your car's electrical system
    can cope.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 31, 2007