DC power adapter question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Mar 13, 2010.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech

    I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.

    I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
    rated 5V, 3A

    Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
    camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
    turn, under-power the camera.

    Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.

    No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any reasonable
    sounding advice will most likely be acted on :)

    Thanks
    Lodi

    PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded adapter.
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010

  2. Lodi

    David Empson Guest

    Lodi <> wrote:

    > Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >
    > I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >
    > I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
    > rated 5V, 3A
    >
    > Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
    > camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
    > turn, under-power the camera.

    Generally speaking, the current rating of a power adapter is the MAXIMUM
    current it will output. The actual current it outputs depends on what is
    drawn by the device.

    The 0.5A adapter will not provide enough power for the digital camera.
    It may cause the power adapter to overload/overheat, or the camera to
    shut down due to lack of power.

    The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
    down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 13, 2010

  3. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >
    > I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >
    > I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one
    > which is rated 5V, 3A
    >
    > Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to
    > over-power the camera than to excessively strain the less powerful
    > adapter which will, in turn, under-power the camera.
    >
    > Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
    >
    > No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any
    > reasonable sounding advice will most likely be acted on :)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lodi
    >
    > PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
    > adapter.

    Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the adapter,
    using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera (unless it has
    overvoltage protection bult-in).
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
    ~misfit~, Mar 13, 2010
  4. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
    >> Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >>
    >> I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >>
    >> I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one
    >> which is rated 5V, 3A
    >>
    >> Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to
    >> over-power the camera than to excessively strain the less powerful
    >> adapter which will, in turn, under-power the camera.
    >>
    >> Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
    >>
    >> No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any
    >> reasonable sounding advice will most likely be acted on :)
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lodi
    >>
    >> PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
    >> adapter.

    > Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the
    > adapter, using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera
    > (unless it has overvoltage protection bult-in).

    Just been trough my drawer of orphaned power adapters and I don't have
    anything suitable for you..... Bastard! <g>

    I hate going through that drawer. It's a bottom drawer (as I don't go into
    it often) and they're all tangled (as I'm a slack cnut).

    That's a lot of current, 2.5A @ 3V. A lot. Maybe a resistor on your 5V
    supply?
    --
    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Mar 13, 2010
  5. On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:43:49 +1300, Lodi <> wrote:

    >Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >
    >I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >
    >I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
    >rated 5V, 3A
    >
    >Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
    >camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
    >turn, under-power the camera.
    >
    >Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.
    >
    >No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any reasonable
    >sounding advice will most likely be acted on :)
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lodi
    >
    >PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded adapter.

    ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?
    Frank Williams, Mar 13, 2010
  6. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Short answer, using the 3V, 0.5A adapter will likely blow up the adapter,
    > using the 5V, 3A adapter will likely blow up the camera (unless it has
    > overvoltage protection bult-in).

    Thanks Shaun. Very succinct.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Frank Williams wrote:

    >>PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
    >>adapter.

    > ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?

    Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?

    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010
  8. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > David Empson wrote:
    >
    > The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
    > down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

    Thanks David. That was the answer I was looking for. It gives me the excuse
    to do pretty much what I wanted to do, which is plug in the 5V power supply
    and hope it doesn't fry the 3V camera :)

    So I've just plugged the camera in and powered it up and it seemed to work
    okay. Wonder how it will be after taking a photo every ten seconds for a
    couple of days. I'm helping out a friend doing a "street scene from a
    window" thing. Very arty. Way too posh for me but it's an excuse to play
    around on the computer so I'm up for it.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010
  9. Lodi

    David Empson Guest

    Lodi <> wrote:

    > > David Empson wrote:
    > >
    > > The 3A adapter is more than sufficient. It won't be trying to push 3A
    > > down the wire if the camera doesn't need that much.

    > Thanks David. That was the answer I was looking for. It gives me the excuse
    > to do pretty much what I wanted to do, which is plug in the 5V power supply
    > and hope it doesn't fry the 3V camera :)

    Hang on, I didn't notice the voltage was different. That probably will
    cause problems.

    If the camera wants 3V, then you should use a 3V DC power supply which
    is able to deliver at least 2.5 A.

    > So I've just plugged the camera in and powered it up and it seemed to work
    > okay.

    The camera may have a component which is "throwing away" the excess
    voltage, such as a diode. I wouldn't recommend running it like that as
    it may eventually burn out.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 13, 2010
  10. Lodi

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 13, 4:46 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    > > Frank Williams wrote:

    > >>PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded
    > >>adapter.

    > > ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC Adapter..?

    > Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?

    It depends on:
    a. how valuable is your camera. Agreed you do not want to spend $70
    on an adaptor for a camera worth say $100, but it is worthwhile
    getting a proper adaptor for an expensive professional quality SLR.
    b. how valuable are the pics if you risk frying the memory card.

    Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    is usable for other things too.
    peterwn, Mar 13, 2010
  11. Lodi

    Br. Scooter Guest

    On , , Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:43:49 +1300, DC power adapter question, Lodi
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >
    >I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >
    >I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
    >rated 5V, 3A
    >
    >Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
    >camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
    >turn, under-power the camera.

    No problem at all. The camera will only use the amount of amperage it needs. The
    stated 5 amps on the power supply is the "potential" amount of amps it can
    supply.
    I built a 30 Amp power supply years ago for use in ham radio, the HF set hooked
    up to it draws perhaps 15 to 20 amps when running on full power yet the small
    hand held that runs on the 13.8 volts the power supply puts out only draws 400
    mAmps.

    >Or will the more powerful DC adapter simply fry the camera.

    No, as above.

    >No emotional attachment to this camera (it was a giveaway) so any reasonable
    >sounding advice will most likely be acted on :)

    >Thanks
    >Lodi
    >
    >PS...Yes I know but I'm too cheap to spend $70 on the Kodak branded adapter.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.
    Br. Scooter, Mar 13, 2010
  12. Lodi

    EMB Guest

    On 13/03/2010 7:27 p.m., peterwn wrote:

    > Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    > multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    > is usable for other things too.

    eg
    <http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3131&CATID=27&form=CAT&SUBCATID=647>
    EMB, Mar 13, 2010
  13. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:

    >>> ONLY use the Approved DC Adapter, why don't you have the DC
    >>> Adapter..?

    >> Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?
    >>

    > It depends on:
    > a. how valuable is your camera. Agreed you do not want to spend $70
    > on an adaptor for a camera worth say $100, but it is worthwhile
    > getting a proper adaptor for an expensive professional quality SLR.
    > b. how valuable are the pics if you risk frying the memory card.
    >
    > Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    > multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    > is usable for other things too.

    That supplies 2.5A at 3V? I doubt it but I'll have a quick look.....

    Jaycar have a 27W switchable voltage unit that's $41.90. My brain's on Ibiza
    time at the moment but I don't think that'll do the required will it? (I
    could be wrong, it seems I'm wrong so very often days these days.)

    I just trawled Dickie's site and if they have such a behemoth of a power
    adaptor I didn't see it. Seriously, 2.5A at 3V is a load of current, I find
    it hard to imagine that a camera would need so much current unless it was
    charging the batteries from flat to fat in 40 seconds.

    Lodi, I hear you that this camera owes you nothing and so isn't worth
    investing $70 on an adapter. I agree. However /please/ don't fry it just
    because of that. Maybe try unplugging the 5V adapter and using the 3V one.
    It might not be able to supply the peak current draw that the camera
    (theoretically) may need but at least it's less likely to result in the
    destruction of one or t'other (despite my earlier post). The PSU might just
    get damn hot and struggle if the camera demands more than it can supply but
    it'll likely keep it ticking over. Especially if it's always plugged in. The
    peak draw of 2.5A would be for totally flat batteries, to give them that
    boost to stop them crystalising of whatever it is that batteries do.

    See, I hate the 'throw away mentality'. If it's still working and usable,
    for whatever purpose, I for one would really appreciate it if you did your
    level best (short of parting with 70 hard-to-come-by dollars) to keep it out
    of the landfill and working. Maybe someone here can help? I already looked
    and, sorry, I don't have a suitable supply.

    Anyway, I'm going to finish my rare treat of a bottle of on-special Lindauer
    (the only kind I drink). Enjoy your weekend.

    ~misfit~, Mar 13, 2010
  14. Lodi

    Squiggle Guest

    On 14/03/2010 12:02 a.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:

    >>> Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?
    >>>

    >> It depends on:
    >> a. how valuable is your camera. Agreed you do not want to spend $70
    >> on an adaptor for a camera worth say $100, but it is worthwhile
    >> getting a proper adaptor for an expensive professional quality SLR.

    You usually don't have a choice, they tend to make them use some wacky
    propreitary connector, or make sure the only way to charge the battery
    is in their charger which relies on being molded to the correct shape
    for the battery contacts.

    >> b. how valuable are the pics if you risk frying the memory card.
    >>
    >> Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    >> multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    >> is usable for other things too.

    > That supplies 2.5A at 3V? I doubt it but I'll have a quick look.....

    Looks like it does, 3 - 6 Vdc at 2.5A according to the link EMB posted.

    > Jaycar have a 27W switchable voltage unit that's $41.90. My brain's on Ibiza
    > time at the moment but I don't think that'll do the required will it? (I
    > could be wrong, it seems I'm wrong so very often days these days.)

    specs for that one aren't quite high enough... but cose enough that if
    you already had it i'd give it ago.

    > I just trawled Dickie's site and if they have such a behemoth of a power
    > adaptor I didn't see it. Seriously, 2.5A at 3V is a load of current, I find
    > it hard to imagine that a camera would need so much current unless it was
    > charging the batteries from flat to fat in 40 seconds.

    Its only 9 Watts. Its not a lot of power.. I find it odd that its such
    a low voltage, If the camera has enough smarts to charge the battery
    with the correct profile i would have thought it would be designed to
    step it down from a 5v supply.

    > See, I hate the 'throw away mentality'. If it's still working and usable,
    > for whatever purpose, I for one would really appreciate it if you did your
    > level best (short of parting with 70 hard-to-come-by dollars) to keep it out
    > of the landfill and working. Maybe someone here can help? I already looked
    > and, sorry, I don't have a suitable supply.

    Unfortunately the suppliers of some items make that an expensive way to
    go. I just checked the price of a replacement image drum for my brother
    laser printer @ DSE: Replacement Drum = $149, Complete new printer $139.
    I can get an aftermarket Drum unit of possibly dubious quality for a bit
    under $90, but for $139 I get a new original drum, and toner
    (lightweight starter size), and all new mechanical parts....
    Squiggle, Mar 13, 2010
  15. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Br. Scooter wrote:

    >> <> wrote:

    >>I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which
    >>is rated 5V, 3A
    >>

    > No problem at all. The camera will only use the amount of amperage it
    > needs. The stated 5 amps on the power supply is the "potential" amount of
    > amps it can supply.

    Sorry Brother Scooter. I should have written 3V 500mA, not 3V .5A That
    decimal point makes a big difference if it's overlooked.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010
  16. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > EMB wrote:

    > On 13/03/2010 7:27 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    >> multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    >> is usable for other things too.

    > eg

    <http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3131&CATID=27&form=CAT&SUBCATID=647>

    Thanks to all who took the time to reply. This group has its uses after
    all :)

    I think I'll save my pennies and get the adapter that EMB linked to.
    Shaun's "throw away mentality" post got me thinking that once the machines
    rise up they might hold it against me if I fry one of their defenseless
    silicon brothers. Can't be too careful.

    Thanks all
    Lodi
    Lodi, Mar 13, 2010
  17. Lodi

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:02:05 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs peterwn wrote:

    >>> Didn't you read the bit where I said I'm cheap ?
    >>>

    >> It depends on:
    >> a. how valuable is your camera. Agreed you do not want to spend $70 on
    >> an adaptor for a camera worth say $100, but it is worthwhile getting a
    >> proper adaptor for an expensive professional quality SLR. b. how
    >> valuable are the pics if you risk frying the memory card.
    >>
    >> Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    >> multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    >> is usable for other things too.

    > That supplies 2.5A at 3V? I doubt it but I'll have a quick look.....
    >
    > Jaycar have a 27W switchable voltage unit that's $41.90. My brain's on
    > Ibiza time at the moment but I don't think that'll do the required will
    > it? (I could be wrong, it seems I'm wrong so very often days these
    > days.)
    >
    > I just trawled Dickie's site and if they have such a behemoth of a power
    > adaptor I didn't see it. Seriously, 2.5A at 3V is a load of current, I
    > find it hard to imagine that a camera would need so much current unless
    > it was charging the batteries from flat to fat in 40 seconds.
    >
    > Lodi, I hear you that this camera owes you nothing and so isn't worth
    > investing $70 on an adapter. I agree. However /please/ don't fry it just
    > because of that. Maybe try unplugging the 5V adapter and using the 3V
    > one. It might not be able to supply the peak current draw that the
    > camera (theoretically) may need but at least it's less likely to result
    > in the destruction of one or t'other (despite my earlier post). The PSU
    > might just get damn hot and struggle if the camera demands more than it
    > can supply but it'll likely keep it ticking over. Especially if it's
    > always plugged in. The peak draw of 2.5A would be for totally flat
    > batteries, to give them that boost to stop them crystalising of whatever
    > it is that batteries do.
    >
    > See, I hate the 'throw away mentality'. If it's still working and
    > usable, for whatever purpose, I for one would really appreciate it if
    > you did your level best (short of parting with 70 hard-to-come-by
    > dollars) to keep it out of the landfill and working. Maybe someone here
    > can help? I already looked and, sorry, I don't have a suitable supply.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm going to finish my rare treat of a bottle of on-special
    > Lindauer (the only kind I drink). Enjoy your weekend.

    Most of the wall wart type supplies are impedance protected and will
    operate fine even into a short circuit. The limited current output of the
    3v supply might not be a problem. If the batteries are charged slower
    then they will last longer!. Try the local dump shop, Wellington Happy
    Valley dump shop has bins filled with dozens (hundreds?) of just about
    every wall wart variation. Two dollars could get you going.
    Roger_Nickel, Mar 13, 2010
  18. Lodi <> wrote:

    >> EMB wrote:

    >> On 13/03/2010 7:27 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dickies or Jaycar sell adaptors in the $25 - $35 range. You can buy a
    >>> multi voltage multi plug adaptor that will suit your camera and which
    >>> is usable for other things too.

    >> eg
    >>

    > <http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3131&CATID=27&form=CAT&SUBCATID=647>
    >
    > Thanks to all who took the time to reply. This group has its uses after
    > all :)
    >
    > I think I'll save my pennies and get the adapter that EMB linked to.
    > Shaun's "throw away mentality" post got me thinking that once the machines
    > rise up they might hold it against me if I fry one of their defenseless
    > silicon brothers. Can't be too careful.

    There's nothing more frightening than a machine that has risen up! :)

    (except maybe a loaf of bread that has done the same)

    Powerful stuff, that Buckley's!

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 13, 2010
  19. On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:54:33 +1300, Br. Scooter <> wrote:

    >On , , Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:43:49 +1300, DC power adapter question, Lodi
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all...Hope you don't mind. Cross-posted to nz.comp and nz.tech
    >>
    >>I've a digital camera which needs a 3V, 2.5A DC power adapter.
    >>
    >>I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which is
    >>rated 5V, 3A
    >>
    >>Is it advisable to use the over-rated unit as it's better to over-power the
    >>camera than to excessively strain the less powerful adapter which will, in
    >>turn, under-power the camera.

    >No problem at all. The camera will only use the amount of amperage it needs. The
    >stated 5 amps on the power supply is the "potential" amount of amps it can
    >supply.

    Totally not True as most Power Packs are not regulated and if you don't fully
    load them the voltage will be far higher than listed..

    Frank Williams, Mar 14, 2010
  20. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-13, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Br. Scooter wrote:

    >>> <> wrote:

    >>>I have one DC power adapter which is rated 3V, .5A and another one which
    >>>is rated 5V, 3A
    >>>

    >> No problem at all. The camera will only use the amount of amperage it
    >> needs. The stated 5 amps on the power supply is the "potential" amount of
    >> amps it can supply.

    > Sorry Brother Scooter. I should have written 3V 500mA, not 3V .5A That
    > decimal point makes a big difference if it's overlooked.

    Which is where the 0 comes in ;-) 0.5A makes it alot harder to miss the
    point.
    Gordon, Mar 14, 2010