    AntHony Guest

    what are DBX files and can I delete them they seem to use up a lot of space?
    AntHony

    AntHony, Jul 4, 2003

  2. AntHony

    Michael Guest

    In news:%E9Na.8474$,
    AntHony <> wrote:

    > what are DBX files and can I delete them they seem to use up a lot of
    > space? AntHony

    Just about your entire mail/news database is in those files.

    You can delete them if you like,... but you'll lose all your email folders,
    your newsgroups, and all the contents of both if you do.

    ((U))
    "Look ma... no mail!"

    Michael, Jul 4, 2003

  3. AntHony

    john Guest

    you can actually reduce the size of the dbx files by cleaning up the
    newsgroups.

    click on Tools
    click on Options
    click on the tab Maintenance
    click on Clean up Now
    click on Delete
    click on Compact

    you've emptied out all the stored posts in your newsgroup listings and
    compacted the dbx files down to a small size.

    dbx files are also storing your 'local folders' (inbox, outbox, sent items,
    deleted items, etc)
    if you don't need what's in the deleted items folder, empty it out on a
    regular basis.

    run the above settings on a regular basis to free up harddrive space.

    john, Jul 4, 2003
  4. AntHony

    DRM Guest

    If you are serious about removing the dbx files. then get an eraser
    programme, this will destroy the messages for good in your out/in box/sent
    box and deleted box, useful as you might have sensitive details. i.e.
    account details, passwords etc. I would recommend
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    Your Dbx files can be found in eraser, then delete them for good, be sure
    not to delete the folders though.

    DRM, Jul 4, 2003
  5. AntHony

    Juan Pérez Guest

    trout <> wrote in message
    > AntHony wrote:
    >
    > > what are DBX files and can I delete them they seem to use up a lot

    of
    > > space? AntHony

    > Yes and no. Largely, no.
    > They are your Outlook Express folders. *Look at the names*. You'll

    want
    > to keep you 'Inbox'.dbx; Outbox, sent items, etc. If you have

    subscribed
    > to newsgroups, you might want to keep those.
    > If you want to keep a folder, but it's very large, you may want to
    > just open that folder and delete some of the contents, like old mail,

    or
    > newsgroup posts.
    > You may also have dbx files for old newsgroups that you might have
    > looked at, but didn't subscribe. Again, look at the names of the

    files.

    > Something like alt.binaries.goatsex.dbx is safe to delete.

    LOL

    Juan Pérez, Jul 5, 2003