    I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    program that could do it?
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007

  2. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Basil Fawlty wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    > it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    > program that could do it?

    So this .DBF file would be?

    a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    b) Abacus Law Data?
    c) ACT! Main Database File?
    d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    any description
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht
    > Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >> program that could do it?

    > So this .DBF file would be?
    >
    > a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    > b) Abacus Law Data?
    > c) ACT! Main Database File?
    > d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    > e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    > f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    > g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    > any description

    Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
    file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
    too much for recovery of just one file.
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Basil Fawlty

    Spuds Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:51 +0200, "Basil Fawlty" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >program that could do it?

    You could try this, although I have no personal experience with it.
    http://www.s2services.com/dbf-tools.htm

    If you don't mind going the torrent route, look for Office Recovery
    Enterprise, which handles .dbf repair, among others.
    Spuds, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    "Spuds" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:15:51 +0200, "Basil Fawlty" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >>program that could do it?

    > You could try this, although I have no personal experience with it.
    > http://www.s2services.com/dbf-tools.htm
    >
    > If you don't mind going the torrent route, look for Office Recovery
    > Enterprise, which handles .dbf repair, among others.

    Thanks for the link, I tried the 3 proggies but none of them worked. I'll
    see if I can find Office Recovery.
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Basil Fawlty wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >>> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >>> program that could do it?

    >> So this .DBF file would be?
    >>
    >> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    >> b) Abacus Law Data?
    >> c) ACT! Main Database File?
    >> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    >> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    >> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    >> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    >> any description
    >>

    > Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

    So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
    it is and what program opens it????

    > file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.

    Crooks???? They spends hours developing software to enable you to
    recover your data in a few seconds and they dare to charge you for
    that??? What is the world coming to?
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007
  7. Basil Fawlty

    > Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >> "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> So this .DBF file would be?
    >>>
    >>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    >>> b) Abacus Law Data?
    >>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
    >>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    >>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    >>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    >>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    >>> any description
    >>>

    >> Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

    > So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
    > it is and what program opens it????

    It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog called
    "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

    >> file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.

    > Crooks???? They spends hours developing software to enable you to recover
    > your data in a few seconds and they dare to charge you for that??? What is
    > the world coming to?

    Im a cheap bastard, OK?

    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  8. Basil Fawlty

    Alfred Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:11:06 +0200, "Basil Fawlty"
    <> wrote:

    >"Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >>> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >>> program that could do it?

    >> So this .DBF file would be?
    >>
    >> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    >> b) Abacus Law Data?
    >> c) ACT! Main Database File?
    >> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    >> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    >> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    >> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    >> any description
    >>

    >Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
    >file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
    >too much for recovery of just one file.

    Try importing it into an MSaccess DB

    Alfred, Oct 22, 2007
  9. Basil Fawlty

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Basil Fawlty wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >>> "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Dunno, it's an old DOS file.

    >> So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
    >> it is and what program opens it????

    > It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog called
    > "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

    So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of
    the other applications you tried failed to work.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 22, 2007
  10. Basil Fawlty

    > Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >> "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> So how do you know it's corrupt if you don't even know what type of file
    >>> it is and what program opens it????

    >> It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog
    >> called "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

    > So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of the
    > other applications you tried failed to work.

    Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of it.
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  11. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    "Alfred" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:11:06 +0200, "Basil Fawlty"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> So this .DBF file would be?
    >>>
    >>> a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    >>> b) Abacus Law Data?
    >>> c) ACT! Main Database File?
    >>> d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    >>> e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    >>> f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    >>> g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    >>> any description
    >>>

    >>Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
    >>file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks.
    >>That's
    >>too much for recovery of just one file.
    >>

    > Try importing it into an MSaccess DB

    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  12. Basil Fawlty

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:43:04 +0200, Basil Fawlty wrote:

    >"Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >>> "Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    <snip>

    >>> It is a file from an old adress database, it opens with a German prog
    >>> called "kunden.exe". The appl. hangs when trying to access the dbf file.

    >> So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of the
    >> other applications you tried failed to work.

    >Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of it.

    It doesn't say what type of DBF it is?

    Last time I had to restore a DBF file, the file was intact but the data
    was corrupted. Simple method was to knock up a simple Perl script to
    read a DBase III/VI file.

    <snip many blank lines>

    Me
    why?, Oct 22, 2007
  13. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:43:04 +0200, Basil Fawlty wrote:
    >

    >>"Desk Rabbit" <> schreef in bericht

    > <snip>

    >>> So it could be a proprietry format which proably explains why some of
    >>> the
    >>> other applications you tried failed to work.

    >>Like I said, DBF-Recovery can read the file, but save only 25 records of
    >>it.

    > It doesn't say what type of DBF it is?

    Unfortunately, it doesn't...

    > Last time I had to restore a DBF file, the file was intact but the data
    > was corrupted. Simple method was to knock up a simple Perl script to
    > read a DBase III/VI file.

    I'm not a coder, I'll have to study on a "simple Perl script" to read a DBF
    file.

    > <snip many blank lines>

    I'll try to snip the blank lines myself first...

    > Me

    Basil
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  14. Basil Fawlty

    Guest

    "Basil Fawlty" <> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >program that could do it?

    Lot of questions about what type of file this is. You can use
    FileAlyzer to get more info out of it, reading the string info can
    tell you a lot.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/index.html
    --

    clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html
  15. Basil Fawlty

    Basil Fawlty Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    > "Basil Fawlty" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi.
    >>
    >>I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    >>it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    >>program that could do it?

    > Lot of questions about what type of file this is. You can use
    > FileAlyzer to get more info out of it, reading the string info can
    > tell you a lot.
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/filealyzer/index.html

    It's a .DBF file. Some dBase or whatever file. I even found software
    (DBF-Recovery) which shows me the contents of the file. However, to
    reconstruct the dbf file, I'll have to pay 149 bucks for the full working
    program, if any. There must be an easier way, hence my question here.

    Now how on earth do I delete the additional lines in my reply?
    Basil Fawlty, Oct 22, 2007
  16. Basil Fawlty

    Guest

    , Oct 22, 2007
  17. Basil Fawlty

    Plato Guest

    Basil Fawlty wrote:

    > >> I have a corrupt .dbf file. I've found software that will repair it, but
    > >> it's too expensive for repairing one lousy file. Anyone know of a free
    > >> program that could do it?

    > > So this .DBF file would be?
    > >
    > > a) dBASE II, III, III+, or IV database?
    > > b) Abacus Law Data?
    > > c) ACT! Main Database File?
    > > d) Alpha Five Table Data File?
    > > e) ArcView Shapefile Attribute Table File?
    > > f) JetForm FormFlow Data File?
    > > g) Just about anything else you can think of that might use a databse of
    > > any description

    > Dunno, it's an old DOS file. I downloaded DBF Recovery and it opens the
    > file, but only rescues 25 records unless I pay the crooks 149 bucks. That's
    > too much for recovery of just one file.

    Then just use your backup. No problem whatsoever. You do have a backup,
    right? Since it's an important file..

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 27, 2007
  18. Basil Fawlty

    TekTel_99

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Try Kernel repair for DBF[FONT=Times New Roman, serif], This software supports different Dbase versions such as Dbase I, II, III, IV and V. Moreover, the utility also works on several versions of Foxbase, Fox pro and Visual Fox Pro. An user is required to buy the license key of the recovery program, in order to save the retrieved files on his/her system.To know more about the tool and how it repairs corrupt dbf file visit http://www.repairdbf.net/

    [/FONT]
    TekTel_99, Jul 4, 2012