    Any dba's that changed over to network admins here? How was the transition?
    Easy to find work? Im an MCDBA whos wanting a change and thinking of doing
    the MCSA. Any thoughts?

    chris, Apr 26, 2004

  2. chris

    peter walker Guest

    I'm an mcdba with mcse and several cisco quals. The way i see it, you should
    already have a fair degree of networking skills as a dba huh? So I don't see
    the transition being that big an issue. I use to be a c++/java programmer,
    and then went into microsoft/cisco networking, then into dba'ing, now mostly
    unix and c++. I have too many interests, which can be a problem, so I
    understand what you mean by wanting a change. Always remember, if you want
    to do something, you can do it. It all depends on how focused and determined
    you are. There are too many I.T. people out there with certifications.
    Hence, to be even noticed, you more than likely should carry those
    certifications as well. So take the natural progression: mcsa -> mcse ->
    ccna -> ccnp .... then maybe ccie? But remember, it's not how many certs you
    have that counts, it's your problem solving skills that really matter. The
    I.T. market isn't that great at the moment. So I would keep that dba job of
    yours and brush up on my networking skills. Try and get into more networking
    stuff at work etc. Everything is a function of time. Best of luck!

    peter walker, Apr 26, 2004

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    The way i see it, you should
    > already have a fair degree of networking skills as a dba huh?

    Not so much, my first IT job was dba.

    chris, Apr 27, 2004