DBA Certification Benefits?...And Advice

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Ryan Gagliano, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. Hello. I am curious if anyone knows how beneficial a DBA certification is
    for an individual. Come March of this year, I will be laid off due to a sale
    of my current division and will need to start looking for another job fairly
    soon (there is a retention bonus that I cannot pass up so I am staying until
    March). I have been looking for a job in the New York/New Jersey area,
    although I have only been browsing and not doing any hard pushing as of now.
    I have not seen many jobs that require a DBA certification but do you think
    this would help? I am sure it would but to what extent is my question?

    The problem is I only have 2 years of experience with a mortgage company
    doing tasks that a typical Data Analyst and Database Administrator perform,
    although I have a System Administrator title. I even saved the company
    $100,000 last year alone by discovering a glitch while doing some analysis
    that several people before me did not notice; this alone nearly gains the
    company $1 million over the life of these loans. I know this is something
    exceptional but I do not have this on my resume and don't even know if it
    should be on my resume.

    I even asked to have my title changed and my boss agreed but the President
    said no. The other problem is I currently live in the South and worry that
    employees will hold this against me. Come April, I do have a friend who I
    will live with in New York and plan to use his address on my resume to
    hopefully help me with this issue. I have only heard back from 2 jobs in the
    New York area and applied to numerous positions. I know that I am a hard
    worker and a very quick learner but these days everyone claims to have these
    qualities. The way I see it, you either have it or you don't.

    So I am writing to see if I should spend the money to become certified.
    Being that I only have a System Administrator title and 2 years of
    experience, I figured this could potentially help me, although I am not
    sure. Has anyone been hired strictly because they are a DBA? I know this
    does not guarantee me a job but would it help my chances? Is it worth it?

    In the same sense, I am only 9 credit hours away from being qualified to
    take the CPA exam. I am sure this would be a much better
    qualification..although I do not want to sit out of work while working for
    this.

    Is there anything else I can do to help my chances?

    I would appreciate any advice or criticism from anyone!

    Thank You,

    Ryan
    Ryan Gagliano, Jan 2, 2005

  2. "Ryan Gagliano" <> wrote in message
    > Hello. I am curious if anyone knows how beneficial a DBA certification is
    > for an individual. Come March of this year, I will be laid off due to a

    sale

    Search Monster/CareerBuilder for 'MCDBA' and see how many jobs require it
    vs. just "experience". Should give you a rough guide for how many companies
    in your area are looking for it...

    --
    Adam Machanic
    SQL Server MVP
    Adam Machanic, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Ryan Gagliano

    Rhinehold Guest

    Ryan Gagliano wrote:
    > although I have a System Administrator title. I even saved the company
    > $100,000 last year alone by discovering a glitch while doing some analysis
    > that several people before me did not notice; this alone nearly gains the
    > company $1 million over the life of these loans. I know this is something
    > exceptional but I do not have this on my resume and don't even know if it
    > should be on my resume.

    You should most definately put this on your resume, it is a good
    indicator to a potential employer that you have demonstrated ability to
    make a company money, which is really all that employers are looking for
    when you get right down to it. This type of information is what they
    want to see most.
    Rhinehold, Jan 15, 2005