DB25 to USB?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Les Hemmings, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. Les Hemmings

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Hello...

    Having problems finding the right adaptor and was wondering if
    anyone has been in a similar position could help out?

    At work there are two elderly label printers that used to run using their
    parallel cables to a data switch and then on to the pc. The cable from the
    data switch to the pc is a double male DB25 (Belkin F2A047-06).
    Enter brand new Dell. No one thought to ask if it had the right
    connections for the hardware they want to run... so, of course, it only has
    USB ports.

    I was looking at this
    http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb...7&search=rs232&op=catalogue-product_info-null
    but it mentions "Supports Rs232 serial interface DB9 and DB25".

    Is this the right adaptor? Should I be looking for a parallel DB25 to
    USB?

    Cheers for any help..

    --
    Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

    "The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in
    all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving
    control-freak ; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic,
    homophobic, racist, infanticidal , genocidal , filicidal , pestilential ,
    megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" (Richard
    Dawkins)

    http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

    http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

    Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

    Les Hemmings, Dec 11, 2006

  2. Les Hemmings

    Les Hemmings Guest

    Les Hemmings wrote:
    > Hello...
    >
    > Having problems finding the right adaptor and was
    > wondering if anyone has been in a similar position could help out?
    >
    > At work there are two elderly label printers that used to run using
    > their parallel cables to a data switch and then on to the pc. The
    > cable from the data switch to the pc is a double male DB25 (Belkin
    > F2A047-06). Enter brand new Dell. No one thought to ask if it had
    > the right connections for the hardware they want to run... so, of
    > course, it only has USB ports.
    >
    > I was looking at this
    > http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb...7&search=rs232&op=catalogue-product_info-null
    > but it mentions "Supports Rs232 serial interface DB9 and DB25".
    >
    > Is this the right adaptor? Should I be looking for a parallel DB25
    > to USB?
    >
    > Cheers for any help..

    I think i may have solved it with this
    http://www.cables2u.co.uk/catalog/p...d/233?osCsid=5e306ee4e257442e8ef1ae02fe61ed81

    Les Hemmings, Dec 11, 2006

  3. Les Hemmings

    VWWall Guest

    Les Hemmings wrote:
    > Hello...
    >
    > Having problems finding the right adaptor and was wondering if
    > anyone has been in a similar position could help out?
    >
    > At work there are two elderly label printers that used to run using their
    > parallel cables to a data switch and then on to the pc. The cable from the
    > data switch to the pc is a double male DB25 (Belkin F2A047-06).
    > Enter brand new Dell. No one thought to ask if it had the right
    > connections for the hardware they want to run... so, of course, it only has
    > USB ports.
    >
    > I was looking at this
    > http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb...7&search=rs232&op=catalogue-product_info-null
    > but it mentions "Supports Rs232 serial interface DB9 and DB25".
    >
    > Is this the right adaptor? Should I be looking for a parallel DB25 to
    > USB?

    It looks like this adapter supports only RS232 *serial* connections.
    (The DB25 only converts the DB9 connector to 25 pin, it's still serial!)

    The easiest thing would be to get a parallel port PCI card, which will
    make a standard parallel port available.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.

    VWWall, Dec 11, 2006