Daytrip to Cornwall

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by embee, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. embee

    embee Guest

    embee, Sep 4, 2006

  2. "embee" <> wrote in message
    news:edhb44$4c9$...

    >I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got
    >these: http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow
    >
    > Thanks for looking!

    You were very lucky to get decent cloud formations during your trip to
    Padstow. I must make a point to visit as one of my work collegues does
    regular day trips there and recommends it. One comment I would make is
    that you seem to have used quite a lot of sharpening, so they have a
    "sharpened" look.

    Hopefully you did not have the problem I encountered on my trip to the
    seaside yesterday - being covered in salt spray due to the high winds. I
    was trying to keep the spray off the camera as much as possible, but the
    lens got pretty well coated.

    Cheers - Adrian

    http://www.pbase.com/boliston/portland

    Adrian Boliston, Sep 4, 2006

  3. embee

    embee Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <> wrote in message
    > "embee" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got
    >>these: http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow
    >>
    >> Thanks for looking!

    > You were very lucky to get decent cloud formations during your trip to
    > Padstow. I must make a point to visit as one of my work collegues does
    > regular day trips there and recommends it. One comment I would make is
    > that you seem to have used quite a lot of sharpening, so they have a
    > "sharpened" look.

    I agree about the sharpening! I've been using PhotoWiz's Focal Blade for
    sharpening my most recent pictures after using Photoshop's Unsharp Mask for
    years, and I'm finding it quite difficult to master. It seems to give more
    control (especially over edges) but at the expense of being a bit on the
    aggresive side. I'm also very new to editing pictures for the web and I'm
    overestimating how much sharpening is needed on a smaller image - my printed
    pictures don't have the same problem, Focal Blade does a pretty good job on
    them.

    I'm planning a trip back to the drawing board with Focal Blade - I like what
    it can do, I just need to control myself a bit I think :)

    > Hopefully you did not have the problem I encountered on my trip to the
    > seaside yesterday - being covered in salt spray due to the high winds. I
    > was trying to keep the spray off the camera as much as possible, but the
    > lens got pretty well coated.

    There wasn't a puff of wind at Padstow that day, thankfully. But the Cornish
    coast can be a scary place at times, so if I ever go there during a storm
    I'll take lots of care. What do you do about salt water on a lens? I've just
    bought the Canon 24-105L and I really don't want to see that get damaged :)

    Thanks

    embee, Sep 4, 2006
  4. embee wrote:
    > I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got these:
    > http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow

    I think you need to work on your post processing. They're over saturated
    and over sharpened. The lobster pots one in particular is a lesson in
    how not to post process. Plus you seem to have a tendancy to hold the
    camera at a slight angle, left side up.

    Derek Fountain, Sep 5, 2006
  5. Derek Fountain wrote:
    []
    > I think you need to work on your post processing. They're over
    > saturated and over sharpened.

    I found that, when I switched from a CRT monitor to an LCD monitor, many
    of my images which were previously fine, then looked somewhat
    over-sharpened.....

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 5, 2006
  6. >> I think you need to work on your post processing. They're over
    >> saturated and over sharpened.

    > I found that, when I switched from a CRT monitor to an LCD monitor, many
    > of my images which were previously fine, then looked somewhat
    > over-sharpened.....

    Me too! And I noticed JPEG artifact banding in skies that are not
    visible on my CRT...

    Derek Fountain, Sep 5, 2006
  7. embee

    Stephen Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:
    >>> I think you need to work on your post processing. They're over
    >>> saturated and over sharpened.

    >> I found that, when I switched from a CRT monitor to an LCD monitor,
    >> many of my images which were previously fine, then looked somewhat
    >> over-sharpened.....

    > Me too! And I noticed JPEG artifact banding in skies that are not
    > visible on my CRT...

    Was probably display artifacts - many computer LCDs have a much lower
    dynamic range than glass crts an introduce much more pixelation

    Stephen, Sep 5, 2006
  8. embee

    embee Guest

    "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    > embee wrote:
    > > I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got

    these:
    > > http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow

    > I think you need to work on your post processing. They're over saturated
    > and over sharpened. The lobster pots one in particular is a lesson in
    > how not to post process. Plus you seem to have a tendancy to hold the
    > camera at a slight angle, left side up.

    Points taken - thanks Derek. I'm very new to editing for the web and I
    accept I'm over sharpening a lot of my images at the moment (my prints are
    fine, honest!)

    Cheers.

    embee, Sep 5, 2006
  9. embee

    ColinD Guest

    embee wrote:
    > I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got these:
    > http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow
    >
    > Thanks for looking!

    An interesting set of images for a NZer to view.

    But your maths are wildly astray on your 35mm equivalents, e,g a shot at
    84mm you quote the 35mm eq. as 461mm, and a shot at 24mm you quote as
    132 mm.

    The crop factor for a 1D MK II is about 1.25, so a shot at 84mm is eq.
    to 84 x 1.25, or 105mm, and for a shot at 24mm the eq. is 30mm, and so
    on for all your shots.

    Otherwise, good work. I am reluctant to criticize the sharpening etc.
    as it is very dicey to try to evaluate that on a monitor.

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Sep 6, 2006
  10. > Points taken - thanks Derek. I'm very new to editing for the web and I
    > accept I'm over sharpening a lot of my images at the moment (my prints are
    > fine, honest!)

    That makes sense. Standard editing procedure is to slightly oversharpen
    on screen for images that will be printed.

    Derek Fountain, Sep 6, 2006
  11. embee

    embee Guest

    "ColinD" <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > embee wrote:
    >> I recently went on a daytrip to north Cornwall with the folks and got
    >> these: http://www.pbase.com/midie/padstow
    >>
    >> Thanks for looking!

    > An interesting set of images for a NZer to view.
    >
    > But your maths are wildly astray on your 35mm equivalents, e,g a shot at
    > 84mm you quote the 35mm eq. as 461mm, and a shot at 24mm you quote as 132
    > mm.
    >
    > The crop factor for a 1D MK II is about 1.25, so a shot at 84mm is eq. to
    > 84 x 1.25, or 105mm, and for a shot at 24mm the eq. is 30mm, and so on for
    > all your shots.
    >
    > Otherwise, good work. I am reluctant to criticize the sharpening etc. as
    > it is very dicey to try to evaluate that on a monitor.
    >
    > Colin D.

    Thanks for pointing out the 35mm equivalent measurement's Colin - I am
    obviously doing something wrong in PBase. I did not set any figures myself,
    in fact I didn't even realise the 35mm equivalent figures were shown on
    PBase - the first I knew about it was when I read your post!!

    Can any experienced PBase users tell me how I can correct these wildly
    inaccurate figures? The pictures were shot with a Canon 1DMkIIN using a
    24-105mm lens.

    PBase is a great photo hosting site, but it sure can be complicated at
    times..... !!

    Thanks

    embee, Sep 7, 2006